The effect of ambient temperature on the sound of your speakers.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
So I have decided to be rid of motors and their incumbent problems..

This is quite a statement for a hifi enthusiast given that all conventional speaker (and headphone) drivers are motors.

K

keeper of the quays

TomSawyer said:

This is quite a statement for a hifi enthusiast given that all conventional speaker (and headphone) drivers are motors.
But the voice? Does it not sound the sweetest? The human voice..peerless...the greatest speakers of the world fall into silence..at the sound.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
TomSawyer said:

But the voice? Does it not sound the sweetest? The human voice..peerless...the greatest speakers of the world fall into silence..at the sound.

Just strap one of these on top of your head or the sde of your neck and open your mouth, you will be amazed .*yes3*

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-bluetooth-vibration-speaker-10w-n14ng

And there is the added bonus that you body heat will solve any low temperature and condensation problems that might occur in the winter months.*biggrin*

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site

In my experience speaker drivers range from beautiful to passable, whereas human voices range from beautiful to breaching the Geneva Convention.

K

keeper of the quays

I think we need to stand for a moment and consider Beethoven..this genius wrote the ninth symphony and his late string quartet when he was stone deaf! The voice of the soul was the loudest when Beethoven was the most deaf! You can unplug a speaker and silence a voice..but the soul goes marching on...even though john browns body lies mouldy in the grave! What he stood for remains..even cheese needs to be mouldy! Where would jelly be without a mould! The sum of human struggle moulds us into what we are! (blather alert!) :)

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I think we need to stand for a moment and consider Beethoven..this genius wrote the ninth symphony and his late string quartet when he was stone deaf! The voice of the soul was the loudest when Beethoven was the most deaf! You can unplug a speaker and silence a voice..but the soul goes marching on...even though john browns body lies mouldy in the grave! What he stood for remains..even cheese needs to be mouldy! Where would jelly be without a mould! The sum of human struggle moulds us into what we are! (blather alert!) :)

Are you sure you use a computer to type these posts and not an enigma machine?

K

keeper of the quays

TomSawyer said:

Are you sure you use a computer to type these posts and not an enigma machine?
it comes straight from the mind to finger..well thumb! Via Nokia phone to this forum..sometimes I think..what did I just say? But mostly I think..im a poet but I don't know it! :)

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
expat_mike said:
radiorog said:
expat_mike said:
I do notice my hifi sounds better and better as it gets later..8pm good, 11pm better, 2am wonderful..(I'm struggling to stay awake though :( )

This quote from Rob Watts, the head designer at Chord may explain some of your experience.

"This takes me back to my early twenties, when I was designing linear electronics with vinyl - CD hadn't been invented then. Anyway, this is before my interest in RF noise - then my system sounded best at 2AM, with all the lights and electrical appliances off in the flat. The fact that my system sounded different every time I played it drove me nuts. With the discovery of RF noise being very important, all my electronics had RF filtering built in, and the system then sounded consistent with no change with time of day.Now the purpose of the RF filtering is actually two fold - to stop noise getting in, and to stop noise getting out, then upsetting other audio electronics."

The situation with RF noise must be much worse now, during daytime hours, with all those millions of mobiles, laptops, tablets, TVs, fridges, cars, etc..... contributing to the overall RF noise levels.

Interesting! I have also definitely noticed that my system sounds better late at night. I actually presumed this was either me getting more used to the sound, or was due to my system warming up. The RF theory is interesting, and something I feel I should learn more about. Is this what mains conditioners help with?

Rob Watts has written quite a few interesting posts on Head-Fi regarding RF interference, and how it impacts the signal processing inside HiFi equipment, especially DACS. RF interference can find its way into your boxes of electronics through many routes - mains leads, interconnects (like USB), headphone cables, etc so do not focus just on mains conditioners.

I will try and post a few more of his comments tomorrow, because they are interesting reading.
I read that some listeners run a dedicated supply from the distribution board (fuse box) to the hi-fi. This avoids the freezers, fridges and central heating pumps sharing the ring main with the hi-fi.

K

keeper of the quays

Jota180 said:
My system sounds best when the neighbours go out.
My neighbours are ghastly, my hifi sounds best when they are home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts