The effect of ambient temperature on the sound of your speakers.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
A couple of nights ago, Mrs Loop was away on business and as usual, this afforded an extended listening opportunity. The weather's been a bit weird of late, to say the least, and the log burner had been lit earlier in the day as the night promised to be quite cold. As it turned out, the night was quite warm and the central heating had also been on. The result was that one of my listening rooms was overly warm.

As the listening session progressed, I noticed that everything sounded much sweeter than usual: massed symphonic strings had incredible amounts of detail and woodwind instruments were more euphonic and 'liquid' than usual. Gil Shaham's violin playing Bach sonata's was simply breathtaking.

Angus and Julia Stone's 'Yellow Brick Road' from 'Down The Way' was just mesmerising.

My system in this room usually sounds pretty good, but that night it was exceptional.

I can only put this down to the increase in ambient temperature.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in sound from their system as a result of room temperature?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
A couple of nights ago, Mrs Loop was away on business and as usual, this afforded an extended listening opportunity. The weather's been a bit weird of late, to say the least, and the log burner had been lit earlier in the day as the night promised to be quite cold. As it turned out, the night was quite warm and the central heating had also been on. The result was that one of my listening rooms was overly warm.

As the listening session progressed, I noticed that everything sounded much sweeter than usual: massed symphonic strings had incredible amounts of detail and woodwind instruments were more euphonic and 'liquid' than usual. Gil Shaham's violin playing Bach sonata's was simply breathtaking.

Angus and Julia Stone's 'Yellow Brick Road' from 'Down The Way' was just mesmerising.

My system in this room usually sounds pretty good, but that night it was exceptional.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in sound from their system as a result of room temperature?

No but mine has sounded better when my girlie is away! My system's sound partly depends on my mood, how tired or not I am, etc. My perception is that my setup sounds brilliant most of the time but occasionally sounds shite & as long as it sounds good again the next session - I don't worry. The only time when I had problems related to temperature was over 30yrs agao when in lodgings where I has to use a hair dryer on my moving coil cartridge in a very cold bedroom to reduce distortion.

I suppose in theory, the speaker cone's surround could become more compliant with elevated temperature actually effecting the sound.

K

keeper of the quays

I find a nice hot curry and a few beers make the hifi sound better! I'm going to test your theory..in going to listen with t shirt. Then t shirt and jumper, then t shirt jumper and winter coat on!

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

Read a review of my speakers recently (atc scm11) that mentioned a 'loosening up at 18c' and 'sounding much better at 22c'. I also found, however, over the bank holiday weekend, the whole system loosened up after a couple of Thornbridge Jaipurs!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
I find a nice hot curry and a few beers make the hifi sound better! I'm going to test your theory..in going to listen with t shirt. Then t shirt and jumper, then t shirt jumper and winter coat on!

It's not a theory, just an observation.

Besides, I think you've completely misunderstood the point of my post.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
They are only kidding with you infiniteloop,

You will find as others have indicated, that mood, what you have consumed etc can have a major effect. Some days mine certainly sounds better than on others.....

Could also be the time of day, the mains will be cleaner in the evening after everyone else has made cups of tea and finished watching whatever soap it is they watch. Systems often sound better late at night, also less noise out and about - do you live near any roads or other houses etc?

But I imagine the room temperature would have a small effect as well, after all dosesn't all hifi like to be warmed up a bit....

K

keeper of the quays

Infiniteloop said:

It's not a theory, just an observation.

Besides, I think you've completely misunderstood the point of my post.
Sorry I was being facetious...but your response was very funny! I paused for a moment there..good one! I had another idea re your observation? What about knitting some cosys for the speakers? Bit like tea cosys but obviously bigger! That should keep them at a ambient temperature should the room cool? If this is successful? I can see marketing possibility! Infinite loops speakers cosys..if you make a million? Remember the keeper? :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My system sounds best after i've pulled it all out and cleaned behind/under/around the unit and then cleaned everything - including cables - as it all gets re-assembled/re-connected. I usually do the rest of the room after that (vacuum and polish at least) then sit down with a cup of tea afterwards and it sounds amazing.

Luckily my system is relatively 'minimal' nowadays so it's not the 'ordeal' it used to be with separates.

K

keeper of the quays

I do notice my hifi sounds better and better as it gets later..8pm good, 11pm better, 2am wonderful..(I'm struggling to stay awake though :( )

K

keeper of the quays

Things seem to sound clearer when it snows? There's a lovely silence and you can hear a pin drop! What about dragging freezer into living room, open the freezer door and chill blasting the hifi..that big coat you got on will be worth it's weight in gold! Freezing cold room, wonderful sound! Snug as a bug in big warm coat!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it makes a noticeable difference. I've heard big differences in cold rooms with my speakers on many occasions. It could be an illusion. But logic suggests "why not?". The speakers could be behaving better at warmer temps, you could be more relaxed and less anxious/more comfortable. Your inner ear may work better at warmer temps. You rooms acoustics could also effected, as could the actual sound waves at different temps and pressures.

I surf and found out recently that the temp of the ocean effects buoyancy of surfboards! That kinda surprised me, as have often felt the difference in how the sea feels in summer and thought it was probably my imagination that was making me think this logical difference. Maybe we should trust our senses more?!

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

Sound perception can vary in massive ways depending on the mood of the listener. Concentration and emotions are playing a key role too. Generally, speakers must perform to their given specs in a window of temperature. I would rather relate the difference you made out to psychological aspects.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Infiniteloop said:

Sound perception can vary in massive ways depending on the mood of the listener. Concentration and emotions are playing a key role too. Generally, speakers must perform to their given specs in a window of temperature. I would rather relate the difference you made out to psychological aspects.

Actually, I was far too hot to be comfortable, but the sound was so good I put up with it. - It certainly wasn't anything to do with psychology.

I'm putting it down to the speakers being able to respond to the input signal more efficiently because of the raised temperature.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I do notice my hifi sounds better and better as it gets later..8pm good, 11pm better, 2am wonderful..(I'm struggling to stay awake though :( )

This quote from Rob Watts, the head designer at Chord may explain some of your experience.

"This takes me back to my early twenties, when I was designing linear electronics with vinyl - CD hadn't been invented then. Anyway, this is before my interest in RF noise - then my system sounded best at 2AM, with all the lights and electrical appliances off in the flat. The fact that my system sounded different every time I played it drove me nuts. With the discovery of RF noise being very important, all my electronics had RF filtering built in, and the system then sounded consistent with no change with time of day.

Now the purpose of the RF filtering is actually two fold - to stop noise getting in, and to stop noise getting out, then upsetting other audio electronics."

The situation with RF noise must be much worse now, during daytime hours, with all those millions of mobiles, laptops, tablets, TVs, fridges, cars, etc..... contributing to the overall RF noise levels.

K

keeper of the quays

expat_mike said:

This quote from Rob Watts, the head designer at Chord may explain some of your experience.

"This takes me back to my early twenties, when I was designing linear electronics with vinyl - CD hadn't been invented then. Anyway, this is before my interest in RF noise - then my system sounded best at 2AM, with all the lights and electrical appliances off in the flat. The fact that my system sounded different every time I played it drove me nuts. With the discovery of RF noise being very important, all my electronics had RF filtering built in, and the system then sounded consistent with no change with time of day.Now the purpose of the RF filtering is actually two fold - to stop noise getting in, and to stop noise getting out, then upsetting other audio electronics."

The situation with RF noise must be much worse now, during daytime hours, with all those millions of mobiles, laptops, tablets, TVs, fridges, cars, etc..... contributing to the overall RF noise levels.
great minds think alike! :) I always thought it was because less stuff was being used on the grid? And the background noise of everything was quieter! I think this background noise is so pervasive we hardly notice and in middle of night a improvement in hifi may be not rf or grid use but simply quieter so we can hear more?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:

"This takes me back to my early twenties, when I was designing linear electronics with vinyl - CD hadn't been invented then. Anyway, this is before my interest in RF noise - then my system sounded best at 2AM, with all the lights and electrical appliances off in the flat. The fact that my system sounded different every time I played it drove me nuts. With the discovery of RF noise being very important, all my electronics had RF filtering built in, and the system then sounded consistent with no change with time of day.Now the purpose of the RF filtering is actually two fold - to stop noise getting in, and to stop noise getting out, then upsetting other audio electronics."

Interesting! I have also definitely noticed that my system sounds better late at night. I actually presumed this was either me getting more used to the sound, or was due to my system warming up. The RF theory is interesting, and something I feel I should learn more about. Is this what mains conditioners help with?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
expat_mike said:

Interesting! I have also definitely noticed that my system sounds better late at night. I actually presumed this was either me getting more used to the sound, or was due to my system warming up. The RF theory is interesting, and something I feel I should learn more about. Is this what mains conditioners help with?

Rob Watts has written quite a few interesting posts on Head-Fi regarding RF interference, and how it impacts the signal processing inside HiFi equipment, especially DACS. RF interference can find its way into your boxes of electronics through many routes - mains leads, interconnects (like USB), headphone cables, etc so do not focus just on mains conditioners.

I will try and post a few more of his comments tomorrow, because they are interesting reading.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Reduced electrical resistance is probably the answer. The electrical resistance of all metallic conductors increases with reduced temperatures, and reduces with increase in temperatures. If an electrical motor is left out in the freezing cold, when switched on, the resistance of the cold coil, can generate enough heat to melt the coil itself. That is why all big electrical motors are fitted with space heaters to keep them nice and warm. Now we can imagine the amount of wire coil involved in all hi-fi. And thus higher ambient temperatures will lead to better current flow. And may be even better sound. Just my 2 cents:)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Reduced electrical resistance is probably the answer.

Or it could just be speaker surrounds and suspensions stiffening up when it's cold, and loosening up and becoming more flexible when they get some temperature into them.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Reduced electrical resistance is probably the answer. The electrical resistance of all metallic conductors increases with reduced temperatures, and reduces with increase in temperatures. If an electrical motor is left out in the freezing cold, when switched on, the resistance of the cold coil, can generate enough heat to melt the coil itself. That is why all big electrical motors are fitted with space heaters to keep them nice and warm. Now we can imagine the amount of wire coil involved in all hi-fi. And thus higher ambient temperatures will lead to better current flow. And may be even better sound. Just my 2 cents:)

I don't like to contradict, but I think you have this the wrong way around. Unless my memory is seriously playing up resistance increases with temperature. Motor windings are kept warm to keep the resistance up because low resistances would lead to damage due to over-current.

Equally, the difference between a comfortable room and a stiflingly warm room is probably only 6 degrees or so, which in resistance terms is very small.

More likely, in my humble opinion, is the effect it would have on the stiffness of the cone suspension as others have said. Either that or the increased temperature leads to more of a laid-back Jamaican outlook!

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
newlash09 said:

Wrong on all counts.

For metallic conductors, increasing temperature leads to an increase in resistance.

The only heating of large electrical machines I have ever seen is to avoid condensation forming, which could cause insulation failure until the machine reaches operating temperature and dries out. My 20KW standby generator has exactly this feature on its alternator.

If there is a temperature effect (which I doubt), it is most likely due to the compliance of the elastomer used in the cone surround changing with changing temperature.

K

keeper of the quays

In the freezing depths of winter do I care about the science of why my motor isn't functioning? No I don't..i just my motor to work! You coming along and peering at my stricken motor, then telling me the reason why it's failed! Doesn't actually help me does it? So I have decided to be rid of motors and their incumbent problems..from now on..im the motor..yes! Believe this...my heart will be the rhythm..the tappets shall be my fingernails..the drive belt is my muscle and the fuel is porridge oats! No more shall I be subjugated by the variances of metal and oil..no scientific wizard can dictate to me! I am the human motor! Foul weather or fair? I care not...no more voltage..high or low.no need..ac/dc? Unnecessary..us humans we rock!

TRENDING THREADS