The Dark Knight

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
NSYGrinner:al7478:

JohnDuncan:My word. Taken me ages to see this properly for the first time, and it's so much better than I thought it would be. I was expecting it to be at least a *little* bit silly...

I count every cheesy line uttered by Oldman, and the bike, as at least a little silly.

Still really like it, though I prefer ...Begins.

Of course it has to be a bit cheesey it's a super hero comic book adapted to film. It is after all about a man who dresses up as a bat. I think The Dark Knight is as good an adaptation of Batman as you're going to get.

Entirely agree, my problems with it are pretty small. I do also, however, think it could have been shorter and less clogged with story lines and big characters. I am also afraid th edeath of Heath Ledger will end up being a problem for the third film which im pretty sure he was to be in, but i realise nothng can be done about that.

NYSGrinner:I do think Batman Begins is a good story but some of the action scenes are a bit closed in, making it hard to tell what going on. The fight at the docks in particular. This may be down to a second unit director rather than Chris Nolan.

The look of the fight sequences is exactly what they were going for, with good reason, I think.

D

Deleted member 2457

al7478:

gel:" Inception". time in my life I can't get back.

Right on Brother!

"It's spinning, what does it all mean...?"

I couldn't care less, Chris.

And he did his best to clog up TDK. So, I've said it before, but he's on thin ice with me, oh yes

Just to confirm, i never said that
emotion-1.gif
I really liked Inception me
emotion-1.gif
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

john1000000boy:
Ordered my bluray boxset of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.... Also Seven

Oh yeah and Kick Ass and SPR

Cant wait... Big movie weekend this weekend!!

If reading the comments on Inception makes it a bit of a marmite film. I think Kick-ass will also have to fit in that category. After a second viewing I loved it. The wife didn't like it at all. The black humour was a bit too far for her. If you've not seen it already. If you like the first 5 mins then your OK. That opening scene I didn't know whether to laugh or be shocked. As for the C-bomb...

A

Anonymous

al7478:- I agree it could have been shorter. The running time is fine for the cinema but as an evenings BD viewing it means I have to get laddo to bed on time to be able to view it at a decent volume to do it justice. That could be said about most films over 2 hours though. The Two face sub plot wasn't really needed in retrospect. He is to good a character to create and then kill off in one film.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Tho I wondered if they could bring him back with such an extreme facial disfigurement. I have no idea if that was considered a factor but i assumed he was a goner soon as i saw the face.

Hum. Kickass... Puerile, offensive, violent...

And great!

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone ever thought about Heath Ledger's acting in this film in the way I have? I mean, he did die of over dose on many antidepressants during and after the filming on The Dark Knight. So, does it stand to reason that his 'acting' on the set of the film was just him expressing what he was really? And not really 'acting' which I find many people get wrong these days. Could his acting in this film be a progression of his depression shown on camera?

I don't want to take anything away from his talent, since there seems to be many fans of the guy. But all I'm trying to say is his 'acting' in TDK wasn't made up, which is exactly what acting is about.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Heath did a fairly convincing portrail of an over the top character going deeper down into failure and depression in Lords of Dogtown.

Whether it was a dummy run/warm up act or just an indication of his inner self is not for me to judge.

John Duncan

OK, I finally got round to watching Inception last night. Review below...

Not Quite Immaculate

Enjoyable hokum. Astonishing to look at, then, and if not quite edge-of-the-seat then at least perched half-way. The script, too, borders on the didactic, though without the numerous lengthy expositions, you'd probably have even less of a clue about what was going on. The almost-exclusively watchable Murphy could be anyone, DiCaprio just seems a bit miserable in pseudo-Bourne mode, Ellen Page shows none of the spark from her earlier films, and only Marion Cotillard offers a performance which elicits any sympathy. I can't help feeling that most of the stellar cast are pretty much on autopilot (I keep expecting someone to say "you can type it Chris, but you sure as hell can't say it"). The film is not without its flaws, however.

Watch the zero-gravity hotel fight and feel your jaw drop. Some of the things he does to Paris defy description, and will surely garner a gong or two - more so because much of it, unlike more recent films which owe more to silicon than celluloid, were filmed in real sets. Armed with a larger box of tricks than your average "one last job before retirement" director might have at his disposal, Nolan certainly puts on a show - the imagination on screen rivals Cameron, but this time he has to do it with the landscapes of Europe, Africa and the Americas. Let's just say that if you approach Inception with a hefty suspension of disbelief, you might actually be entertained. This is where I usually say "to say any more would be to spoil the plot", but in this case I could probably write a whole synopsis and you still wouldn't get it.

The exact mechanics of how this is done are beyond the few hundred words I have to play with, but suffice to say DiCaprio and his dreamweavers are soon getting all Ocean's Eleven in Murphy's head (or somebody else's head projecting thoughts into Murphy's head whilst using totems to make sure they're still in their own head and dodging repressed memories of Cobb's dead wife who keeps popping up unexpectedly and...ahforgeddaboudit). In a team-building sequence befitting any heist movie, Cobb gathers together the Architect, Chemist, Pointman, Tourist and Forger who are to plant an idea in business heir Cillian Murphy's head.

Written by Nolan himself, the plot sees Dom Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) - dream thief extraordinaire - turn his hand to planting ideas in unwitting subjects' dreams for profit. Generally deeply lauded by critics on release, and getting a fair share of academy nods at the nominations announcement last month (it won't win anything other than technical statues), it's built up a sizeable internet fanboy/slavering conspiracy subculture of its very own. Not only having darkly, disturbingly rebooted the Caped Crusader franchise with Batman Begins and the cash register-bothering The Dark Knight, but also producing one of the most inventive thrillers of the last decade in Memento, the director-du-jour has come up with another in his occasional series of 'What The Hell Was That All About' films, Inception. Either that or should be certified, I can't quite decide. Christopher Nolan is a certifiable genius.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts