The Apex Club

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey jcshutts :wave: PHEW! Gotta take a whole lot of patience going through all 1300 posts of this thread... which, incidentally "celebrates" it's 2 year active run on this forum today. All thanks to our fellow buddy gosahl who started it 2011-01-11. It's partly due to this thread that I got hooked on demoing these, and I'm glad I did.

In terms of the differences between the SIlver RXW-12 and Apex AW-12, there has been some debate about it. Although I believe they are identical on paper Monitor audio themselves wrote the following in their press-release: "In order to extend the performance of it's lifestyle speaker systems, Monitor Audio has created a wholly new sub-bass engine for the AW-12, designed to contribute a seismic blend of deep bass frequencies and high output with low distortion. Every component has been developed specifically for the AW-12, including the massively engineered front-firing 12" C-CAM driver and 500 watt Class D amplifier."

Also, the AW-12 has a die cast alloy cabinet, whereas the older RXW-12 has an MDF cabinet. To me the Apex AW-12 sub not only looks the part, it will naturally blend in seamlessly with the Apex speakers. If these two beasts perform differently from each other I cannot really say. Sorry.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
just the job, AW12 it is then! easy as that!

just trying to source the set up

at a good price and one web site states the apex are now discontinued .... Is this true? Are MA about to stop making these?

mpanag

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I'm willing to build my 1st 5.1 home cinema set up based on the MA apex speakers. Initially I'm going to get a pair of A10s and when I have the budget get another pair, a sub and a front.

I'm going to use it 70% for music 30% movies. After searching for AV receivers I concluded to the following:

1. Denon 3313, £640

2. Yamaha a1010, £590

3. Onlyo nr717, £590

Does anyone have experience with any of these? Unfortunately I can't arrange a demo as there aren't any stores near me to do that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
mpanag said:
Hi all, I'm willing to build my 1st 5.1 home cinema set up based on the MA apex speakers. Initially I'm going to get a pair of A10s and when I have the budget get another pair, a sub and a front.

I'm going to use it 70% for music 30% movies. After searching for AV receivers I concluded to the following:

1. Denon 3313, £640

2. Yamaha a1010, £590

3. Onlyo nr717, £590

Does anyone have experience with any of these? Unfortunately I can't arrange a demo as there aren't any stores near me to do that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I used to have a Denon 3310 which I ran with the Apex and it was very good for both movies and music. I can't comment on the other receivers though.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If your going to use your system for 70% music get the sub before more speakers, same time if you can squeeze your budget - good as the Apex are the bass performance is limited due to their size upper bass great, lower bass not there.

you will recommended in this thread to get the matching sub which is fine, however there are subs easy as good if not better from elsewhere.

BK Electronics subs are much cheaper but they perform as good as subs much more expensive ;)

There is a lot online about them, just not on this forum.

if its your first system either receiver will likely really impress you - if you can't demo read the reviews and go for whichever sounds the best to you if you have no preconception of what you like I.e no previous system then you are working off a blank canvas anyway

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
If your going to use your system for 70% music get the sub before more speakers, same time if you can squeeze your budget - good as the Apex are the bass performance is limited due to their size upper bass great, lower bass not there.

you will recommended in this thread to get the matching sub which is fine, however there are subs easy as good if not better from elsewhere.

BK Electronics subs are much cheaper but they perform as good as subs much more expensive ;)

There is a lot online about them, just not on this forum.

if its your first system either receiver will likely really impress you - if you can't demo read the reviews and go for whichever sounds the best to you if you have no preconception of what you like I.e no previous system then you are working off a blank canvas anyway

+1 to that re the sub.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Just on that issue of cheaper but equal subs, this would enable my budget to upgrade from a10's to a40's - presumably a good step forward.

Which sub models are good to look at?

gunny

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
@jcshutts:

To be honest, the Apex sub is one of the nicest looking subs if you intend to put the sub in a very visible location.

If you intend to use the sub to put something on it (plant, lamp, ...), there are a number of subs that should appeal.

I personally have purchased the BK XXLS400 in gloss white, which matches the Apex speakers in white perfectly.

Mine is a DownFire model because my wife didn't realy like the fact that there would be a big black cloth facing her and we also have a baby,

so touching stuff is in their nature. A downfire sub ensures that you get a nice (in my case) glossy white block which can be used to put a plant (at the moment) or lamp on top of it.

The build quality of the BK sub is excellent and performance wise it is at least up to the level of the Apex sub, in my opinion even better.

Do keep in mind that a sealed sub can never go as low as a ported one, so if deep bass is what you are looking for,

and you have the room to put it, I would go for the monolith+

It can be had with the same finishes as the XXLS400 but it has a bigger cabinet and is ported, so the impact in movies will be a lot higher (or deeper if you know what I mean).

Both are will under the price of the Apex sub, so should suit your plans to buy A40's.

Alternatively you could have a look at the new or existing SVS subs. They also sport good value for money but lack the many finishing options of the BK subs. They have just launched 2 new subs (SB1000 & PB1000) which, on paper at least, show to be some serious contenders for the "best bang for the buck" titel, but no official reviews at this point.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
> gunny :wave: calling on gunny!

I been wanting to ask you if you've had any more experience listening to Apex with NAD? I just re-read your posts on your thoughts from a number of months ago. Do you still use your Marantz receiver or have you gotten something new since? I'm still reading up on the T787 and talking to current owners and getting so much positive feedback about the machine it's bordering on ridiculous. Apart from a couple other alternatives I still wanna test-drive this beast at home, despite only having XT and not XT32. Speaking of that, I was just intouch with NAD support and yet again they claim to not even have plans to embrace XT32. Something I find truly odd, considering it could be a deal-breaker for many.

gunny

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi RickyDeg

I'm still using the Marantz as funds are currently being diverted to our house...

I've already explained my experience with the NAD and I still feel that they offer a sound quality which is difficult to match with other brands amps.

One additional thing I didn't mention on here is that I contact NAD to know if and when they were going to make a MDC module that includes the Audessy XT or Audessy XT32 for the T757, because that is the whole purpose of the MDC modules:

if a new standard comes out, they should only release a new MDC module costing 200 or so €, and you are once again up to date without needing to replace the whole AV.

Their reply was that they were unsure if a new MDC module was going to be created for the T757 or for a new, upcoming AV receiver... Which of course triggered my curiousity :type: I know they already are at V2 for the T757 as the online shops I was looking at now show the T757 V2 at the full price (they were selling a T757 a couple of months ago with a 600€ discount! :O ).

I believe that NAD is probably working on a new range that will replace the current range, which could of course be very interesting for the future. They must have understood by now (and from all the reviews) that although the sound quality from their amps is phenomenal, the lack of features and specifically Audessy calibration, is really hurting them in the sales field. Adding Audessy should not dimish or impact the sound quality in a negative way I believe, so I've got my eye fixed on them and any upcoming news.

An alternative for you might be to get a pre which incorporates the XT32 and use a 5 or more channel amp from NAD? That way you get their sound but maintain the Audessy calib.

stylee

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to Great Deal from Richersounds Belfast I'm now the happy owners of a MA apex system.

I've 3 A40s at the front 2 A10's and the AW12 sub powered by a Denon 3313. First impression are wow, I had a Q Acoustics set up with a BK sub and the difference is incredible. You really do feel like you're surrounded by sound, the neighbours have even been in to watch a movie. I did look at a 7.2 set up as I still have the BK sub but the room isn't big enough for that to make sense, if we move I think the speakers will be bought.

The only problem I have with the system is the Dog is as impressed by the set up as me and the missus. ,Particularly with the sub, which is the only one he can get to. Does anyone have any ideas on getting a grille for it? Preferably one that can be taken off when the system is being used and the dog is being watched.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply gunny :grin:

The omission of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 in the latest 2012 range still puzzles me. I'm glad you asked NAD about it. I know many other people have too (seen multiple forums on the topic). To me they've simply replied "no such plans at this time", whichever that means (have they even considered it?). I've also spoken with the exclusive NAD dealer in my country (who are the only ones who sell NAD here) and they've said conflicting things each time I've asked them. Go figure.

The same dealer also claimed that a new range will not be out until earliest 2 years, or so, which will then replace the current models. As you know NAD is not the kind of company who releases new receivers each year for the sake of bling-bling or excessive features, and I like that. I do agree with you however that the lack of an updated Audyssey (and perhaps the omission of a USB input and easy firmware updates) is something that is hurting them in the sales field. Then again, they seem to have very loyal fans, and if I find the soundquality as rewarding as people say I'm not surprised. I just hope if I eventually go the NAD route that I will be able to reply on them offering XT32 with an MDC module.

I would only go with NAD T787 if I descide not to take the road of separates, becase space is very limited. Then again, they do have a processor (T187) that I could mate with a NuForce poweramp (NAD's own poweramps are too clunky). Too many options... I can imagine Apex really loving the power and musicality of the T787 though. But naturally I won't know until I've tested it.

Good luck on the house stuff, BTW!

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

Happy New Year to you all! Sorry havent been posting much, been really really busy with a baby on the way and dreaded DIY :( - sound proofing for sure lol. Ricky and Ric71 hope you guys are doing ok!

Update on my system, i havent done much tinkering with my system recently, i added a PS3 over Christmas to complete it, awesome sound when playing games and using the PS3 for BBC iPlayer etc.

I watched Judge Dredd last weekend on Bluray.....has anyone seen this movie? I thought my subwoofers were going to explode. The movie didnt sound right for some reason - over done with the Bass. All of the other movies i've watched i.e. Prometheus, Avengers, Dark Knight Rises sound truly awesome, natural and well balanced in the bass department with plenty of punch. Just wondering if Judge Dredd hasnt been mixed very well?

Ricky - im really loving my dual AW12s, they really make the system complete. The sound is so much punchy and dispersed with regards to my room and its size. You need to get heights!! Really opens up the soundstage.

Also i auditioned the Denon 4520 at Sevenoaks in Loughton 2 weeks ago. Sounded very similar if not the same as the Denon AVR-A100 IMO so no chance for any upgrades for me for a long time i think.

@stylee welcome to the club, hope you enjoy the Apex as much as we all do here.

Cheers

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I dont think there is a grille for the AW12, unless Ricky or the guys might know. May be check with Monitor Audio? I can understand your predicament with the dog :(

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey gosalh,

Congrats on the baby. My second son is 11 weeks old and I rarely get to fire the system up for a serious session as you will no doubt soon discover. The trade off is worth it, well may be not at three in the morning.

I am seriously considering adding another pair of A10's as front height speakers so watch this space. I was toying with the idea of switching over to MK S150's all round but realised I dont have any more money and the Apex do such a fine job. Did get an Apple TV3 though and have been hammering Netflix watching shows that I never had time to in the past ie Lost.

Glad you are loving dual subs i miss mine from a previous system. I will do it one day but need to build an extension next year so that will have to wait.

You still need to come over. Give me a shout. :cheers:

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey ric, good to hear from you and thanks for the kind words. Yeah i still need to organise our Apex session at my place, i've been snowed under with DIY so havent had a chance to do anything. Are you on Facebook by any chance?

gunny

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
@jcshutts:

I assume you're talking about 2x XXLS400 or 2x Monolith+?

Even the 2x XXLS400 would leave the ASW12 well behind, not even looking at the Monolith.

Do keep in mind that the setup of 2 subs could be a bit tricky, but something like an anti-mode could be a good addition to your setup!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey gosalh :wave: long time no... read. But I understand you got your hands full ;)

Congrats on the new addition to the family! And also to The Apex Club thread for turning 2 years this month, thanks to you. It's still alive and kicking!

Lucky you with a PS3 from Santa! I'm holding off til the follow-up console is released. Sound-wise I'm certain HD games are great fun regardless. In terms of 'Judge Dredd' I have not seen it. I'm purposely avoiding it (and the new 'Total Recall'). Sounds like the mixers went heywire on the LFE-channel or the Blu-ray transer is messy? Or could it be that Dynamic EQ is making too much of it, loudness-wise? Certainly glad you are enjoying your dual AW12's... I knew you would. I feel the same; dual subwoofers really do make the system complete. Now, if only I could have those height channels too... darn it...

I'm not surprised you felt the 4520 sounded similar to the A100, considering the latter is a very fine machine. I'm thinking they've added (and substracted) a couple of things, updated the design but kept the overall processing and amplification fairly identical. However, the 4520 does have DTS Neo:X, which would be cool with your height channels. Also, the new Denon HD-link with the matching player seems interesting. We'll see what I'll be testing next. I have so many ideas brewing right now.

BTW - do you have any plans to go Audyssey Pro? Your 7.2 system would excell even further!

Cheers :cheers: and thanks for stopping by!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts