The Apex Club

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:ric71:Gerrardasnails:ric71:
dirtydean:before Christmas I had a listen to the apex with a Denon 3311 and preferred my set up (as below) am I missing something or do you think they had them setup incorrectly in the shop.
Dean

Hi dirtydean,

They may well have been badly set up but unlikely,they may not have been run in?

It is more likely that you prefered the Radius HD. They are great speakers and I use the The R90HD's as rears. It is all a matter of personal taste .

It could have been the crossover setting. I've just replaced R90s with Apex A10s and my rear speakers have come alive! Massive improvement. My rears can now compete with my front three.

Hi Gerrardasnails,

I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my R90HD rears to A10's.

Would you say it makes a huge difference? I would then use the R90HD's as the surround back channels .

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a big difference at all - part of the reason for buying the Apex was getting them in White to please my other half. However, the difference is clear. I'm over the moon with the performance.
Many thanks will have to seriously consider upgrading the Radius

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm just wondering if anyone following this thread is waiting to hear the new Paradigm Reference MilleniaOne before taking the plunge on the Apex? The Paradigm's seem to be aimed at very much the same market (being small, sexy, aluminium, same price), and they should be at the Bristol Show, so (if MA have their Apex there) it should make an interesting A-B comparison.

michael hoy

wireman:
I'm just wondering if anyone following this thread is waiting to hear the new Paradigm Reference MilleniaOne before taking the plunge on the Apex? The Paradigm's seem to be aimed at very much the same market (being small, sexy, aluminium, same price), and they should be at the Bristol Show, so (if MA have their Apex there) it should make an interesting A-B comparison.

Seen some pictures of the Paradigm the other day and the do look similar to the Apex in size and shape.

Will be an interesting test.

A

Anonymous

Yes I have a Apex in a 9.1 config (high fronts + standard 7.1 layout). I have a large room (10m x 5m) that suits - a smaller room may struggle to justify the config. Personally, I find the high fronts excellent to give me "depth" to the surround sound (low/high) but you will need an amp that supports 9.1!

A

Anonymous

michael hoy:Flyman:
I might just have to do the same though I'm rather loathed to as I don't want to risk weakening it with my LX5090 sitting on top!

Out of interest what made you choose the Pioneer over the Denon (which Denon did you demo)?

Flyman,

Can you use the quote option so we know who you are replying to, I chose the Pioneer over the Denon because I preffered the sound with the Apex speakers, also read some very good reports about the Pioneer and the quality of the digital amplification along with the Air Studio tuning.

Sure thing - sorry about that!
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

I demo'd the MA Apex again yesterday this time with a Yamaha 2067 & Denon 4311.

I did like the Denon but found it too warm somewhat lacking in detail
with not as much punch as the LX83, however the Yamaha as far as I'm
concerned was far superior both for CD's and Blu-Ray movies.

I do think however that the MA Apex A10's (compared with B&W M1's)
are a little on the bright side but teamed with the right receiver
they're fantastic. Mustn't forget to mention the sub performs equally
well.

Incidentally this wasn't just my ears that gave an approval it was the wife's also!

The Yamaha was a nice balance between the Pioneer LX83 & the Denon 4311.

So anyway I ended up buying a Yamaha RX-3067, MA Apex 5.1 system and a Pioneer LX54 Blu-Ray!
biggrin.gif
The trouble is I cant collect it until next Saturday Afternoon!...Can I Be a member now?
emotion-11.gif

Flyman:

well.

Incidentally this wasn't just my ears that gave an approval it was the wife's also!

So anyway I ended up buying a Yamaha RX-3067, MA Apex 5.1 system and a Pioneer LX54 Blu-Ray!
biggrin.gif
The trouble is I cant collect it until next Saturday Afternoon!...Can I Be a member now?
emotion-11.gif

Hi Flyman

Nice one
emotion-21.gif

The RX-V3067 is a superb AV amplifier and overall an excellent match with Apex speakers.
emotion-1.gif

Ime, Yamaha AV amplifiers + Monitor Audio speaker = great match (time after time)
emotion-2.gif

Anyway i hope you enjoy the performance of your new components for many years to come.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

michael hoy

MUSICRAFT:Flyman:

well.

biggrin.gif
emotion-11.gif

Hi Flyman

Nice one
emotion-21.gif

The RX-V3067 is a superb AV amplifier and overall an excellent match with Apex speakers.
emotion-1.gif

Ime, Yamaha AV amplifiers + Monitor Audio speaker = great match (time after time)
emotion-2.gif

Anyway i hope you enjoy the performance of your new components for many years to come.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick is the RX-V3067 Yamaha's top receiver now, or is there a z7 / z11 replacement due.

michael hoy

Flyman:
biggrin.gif
emotion-11.gif

Welcome to the Club Flyman and enjoy your new purchase.

A

Anonymous

Theres been a mix up with my order (the dealer is blaming MA, saying they did not put them on the delivery truck) they should have been here Friday. Due to the dealer being closed on Monday and I'm away with work Tuesday, it's gonna be Wednesday before I can collect them and get them running. Nightmare!!

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:Flyman:

I did like the Denon but found it too warm somewhat lacking in detail with not as much punch as the LX83, however the Yamaha as far as I'm concerned was far superior both for CD's and Blu-Ray movies.

I do think however that the MA Apex A10's (compared with B&W M1's) are a little on the bright side but teamed with the right receiver they're fantastic. Mustn't forget to mention the sub performs equally well.

emotion-11.gif

Hi Flyman

Nice one
emotion-21.gif

emotion-1.gif

emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Cheers thanks a lot Rick

A

Anonymous

emotion-11.gif

Welcome to the Club Flyman and enjoy your new purchase.

...and Michail Hoy thanks also!

A

Anonymous

Guys I have a few questions about speaker, sub & HDMI cables - shall I post here or in another thread in Home Cinema/Accessories?

michael hoy:MUSICRAFT:Flyman:

well.

biggrin.gif
emotion-11.gif

Hi Flyman

Nice one
emotion-21.gif

emotion-1.gif

emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick is the RX-V3067 Yamaha's top receiver now, or is there a z7 / z11 replacement due.

Hi michael hoy

Yes, as far as i am aware the RX-V3067 is Yamaha's top AV receiver at the moment. There is no news yet as to the replacements for the DSP-Z7 and DSP-Z11 AV amplifiers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Flyman:MUSICRAFT:Flyman:

I did like the Denon but found it too warm somewhat lacking in detail with not as much punch as the LX83, however the Yamaha as far as I'm concerned was far superior both for CD's and Blu-Ray movies.

I do think however that the MA Apex A10's (compared with B&W M1's) are a little on the bright side but teamed with the right receiver they're fantastic. Mustn't forget to mention the sub performs equally well.

biggrin.gif
emotion-11.gif

Hi Flyman

Nice one
emotion-21.gif

emotion-1.gif

emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Cheers thanks a lot Rick

Hi Flyman

Your welome.

I forgot to mention that i had an Apex dem earlier on today and i again used the RX-V3067. Needless to say my clients were impressed
emotion-2.gif

Apex and the RX-V3067 were meant to be used together
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi, im a bit new to this whole cinema system and stuff.. but luckily choose to MA apex as my first ;) just a quick question.. does the blu ray player have much say in the quality of sound produced when linked to an AV receiver?

Put simply.. I have my good Sony BDP- S760 hooked to my Denon 3311 which is then obviously hooked up to my MA apex 5.1. Would I get better sound if i were to upgrade my slightly outdated blu-ray player? If so why? and what blu ray player would you guys (and girls if there are any on this forum) reccommend??

A

Anonymous

I have several questions that I really could do with some help on...

It's
been suggested to me that I use QED original 79 strand to use with the
A10's. Has anyone used this or has any other suggestions?

Also, I
need to run a sub cable a distance of approx 12m (is this length ok?).
Can anybody recommend where I can buy and what make I should consider?

Because
there is very little space in my AV unit I need HDMI cables with right
angled plugs, again can anybody recommend where I can buy and what make I
should consider?

A lot of questions but if you guys could help it would really be appreciated as I take delivery on Friday

TIA, Dave

michael hoy

Flyman:

It's

Also, I

Because
should consider?

A lot of questions but if you guys could help it would really be appreciated as I take delivery on Friday

TIA, Dave

1. For speaker cable I would recommend this (Van Damme 2x4.0mm UP LCOFC Hi-Fi Speaker Cable)

2. For the sub cable try this (Canare LV77S - Black or White Phono to Phono)
3, Depends on how much you want to spend a friend has this (Right-Angled 90ø HDMI plug to HDMI plug)

A

Anonymous

It's

Also, I

Because
should consider?

TIA, Dave

1. For speaker cable I would recommend this (Van Damme 2x4.0mm UP LCOFC Hi-Fi Speaker Cable)

2. For the sub cable try this (Canare LV77S - Black or White Phono to Phono)

3, Depends on how much you want to spend a friend has this (Right-Angled 90ø HDMI plug to HDMI plug)

Hi Michael,

Some interesting options there - I like those slimline Peerles HDMI's.

I've been looking around and I've also come with these as possible options also.

http://www.hificables.co.uk/11935/Qed-XTC-Speaker-Cable.html?gclid=COHA5Zm35aYCFdERfAodeVVF6w

http://www.hificables.co.uk/11568/Chord-Carnival-SilverScreen-Speaker-Cable.html

QED Performance Subwoofer Cable CUSTOM LENGTH

Any thoughts as to which might be better for not being too bright?

A

Anonymous

Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity what have you set your speaker configurations for the A10 satellites? large or small?

michael hoy

Delboi47:
Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity what have you set your speaker configurations for the A10 satellites? large or small?

Set to small is the general option to use and if you run the amp at high volume, the can be set to small with a crossover of 80Hz if you run them at lower volume levels.

A

Anonymous

Collected my Apex yesterday, wall mounted them as soon as I got home, then sat back and ran a couple of hours worth of demo material.

Wow, if your sat on the fence about buying these or an alternative ( like I was ) these are the ones to go for, you just seem to hear much more in the sound track, just little things that didnt seem to be there before, the atmosphere they create is stunning.

Well done MA!

A

Anonymous

Delboi47:
Hey guys,

I've experimented with both large and small (The auto setup sets it to large by default with my Sony AVR). As much as it goes against the opinion of most, large sounds better to me

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
shanej66:Delboi47:
Hey guys,

I've experimented with both large and small (The auto setup sets it to large by default with my Sony AVR). As much as it goes against the opinion of most, large sounds better to me

Its all down to personal preference.I have my Apex set to small and crossed over at 90hz. I let the sub handle everything below.

I find you can play louder and cleaner but each to their own and experiment with various settings!

TRENDING THREADS