The Apex Club

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Quick DIY question, what size screws and wall plugs do I need for the A10 brackets? Wow they are heavy for their size!!
You're asking someone who doesn't get involved in DIY unless really necessary! I'll have a guess - big ones
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
fowler:FrankHarveyHiFi:There'll be a few more joining the club soon too
emotion-1.gif
your not replacing your mk's are you david?
I wasn't referring to myself Fowler, but I will be replacing them soon
emotion-2.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gosalh:I've used the Audyssey to do the initial setup and i've done my own manual tweaking. Should the center channel always be louder than the surrounds or the opposite? The Audyssey has set the center channel to be lower than the front left and right.
That'll be because the centre is more efficient - the A10's are 87dB and the A40 is 90dB - technically speaking, that's twice the volume, so I would expect Audyssey to set it lower, as long as their aren't any room issues affecting things.

But as mentioned, you can set the centre to suit your own taste.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:fowler:FrankHarveyHiFi:There'll be a few more joining the club soon too
emotion-1.gif
your not replacing your mk's are you david?
I wasn't referring to myself Fowler, but I will be replacing them soon
emotion-2.gif
Ok Dave,you will av to give us a shout if you put your surrounds up for sale lol you have got the ss150's surrounds havnt you?

A

Anonymous

Got them about 2 months ago,

love them a lot, look very nice, sound even better!!!

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:gosalh:I've used the Audyssey to do the initial setup and i've done my own manual tweaking. Should the center channel always be louder than the surrounds or the opposite? The Audyssey has set the center channel to be lower than the front left and right.
That'll be because the centre is more efficient - the A10's are 87dB and the A40 is 90dB - technically speaking, that's twice the volume, so I would expect Audyssey to set it lower, as long as their aren't any room issues affecting things.

But as mentioned, you can set the centre to suit your own taste.

I honestly meant to mention that also but it was so late when I posted, I forgot oops.

michael hoy

Gerrardasnails:Anyone, what size screws and plugs to wall mount the A10s?

According to the manual a minimum of 40mm (1 3/4") long screws should be used, the hole on the stand is 4mm dia so i would try a 4mm dia screw in the hole first and see if the head sits in the recess / counter sink in the stand.

Check plug sizes here .

DESCRIPTION SCREW RANGE (mm) PLUG LENGTH (mm) HOLE DIAMETER (mm)

RED 3.5 - 5.5
No. 6 - 12 35 6

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
hi shanej66,

The Apex eed about 500 hours before they finally settle down.

They get much smoother and any sibilance goes.

I have found them exceptional with music. What are you powering them with?

I feel that these are really a new bench mark in compact sub sat systems and that they are unique.

A

Anonymous

ric71

Using a Sony STR-DA2400ES (if you click name you can see my bio. I've just not mastered including bio in my post)

My speakers/subwoofer are a bit over the top for the amp, but with the rate of change in the AV market with ever changing HDMI standards, DLNA evolution etc, I just can't bring myself to make a major investment in an amp.

Sounds good to me though and thats what matters

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
michael hoy:
Gerrardasnails:Anyone, what size screws and plugs to wall mount the A10s?

According to the manual a minimum of 40mm (1 3/4") long screws should be used, the hole on the stand is 4mm dia so i would try a 4mm dia screw in the hole first and see if the head sits in the recess / counter sink in the stand.

Check plug sizes here .

DESCRIPTION SCREW RANGE (mm) PLUG LENGTH (mm) HOLE DIAMETER (mm)

RED 3.5 - 5.5
No. 6 - 12 35 6

Thanks Michael

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
shanej66,

Cool amp and i totally agree re receiver technology changing constantly.

The Apex are superb with music, i used to have big floor standers but I prefer the critical detail that the Apex give.

I would love to upgrade amp to an Arcam but funds will NEVER allow
emotion-9.gif

I demo-ed the Apex with the Arcam Avr600 and they were incredible!!!!

michael hoy

ric71:
The Apex are superb with music.

I would love to upgrade amp to an Arcam but funds will NEVER allow
emotion-9.gif

I demo-ed the Apex with the Arcam Avr600 and they were incredible!!!!

I demoed the Apex with the 500 and your right the sound was incredible, my wife was with me at the time and she told me that the combo of Apex and Arcam was her favourite.

She wanted me to by the Arcam at the same time but I said no
emotion-9.gif
I wanted to wait for the bugs to be ironed out of the 600. Purchased a Pioneer SC-LX72 instead and this sounds very impressive.

A

Anonymous

Folks,

Any thoughts on whether the speakers should be set to small or large within AV receiver setup. Mine set it to large and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Anybody aware of Monitor Audio's recommendations or how What HiFi tested.

A

Anonymous

shanej66:
Folks,

Any thoughts on whether the speakers should be set to small or large within AV receiver setup. Mine set it to large and I'm perfectly happy with it.

As they are sats, they should ideally be set to small,although it really is up to your personal preference, but more importantly if they are set to large, make sure your cross over is not set too low, the A10 can go down to 60 Hz and the A40 50Hz anything lower could potentially damage the speaker.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
markjaspi:shanej66:
Folks,

As they are sats, they should ideally be set to small,although it really is up to your personal preference, but more importantly if they are set to large, make sure your cross over is not set too low, the A10 can go down to 60 Hz and the A40 50Hz anything lower could potentially damage the speaker.

They might be able to go that low but a good sub will do it better. I plan to set my crossover at 90Hz. I would also advise to set the speakers to small to allow your receiver to deal with the crossover. Even my floorstanders are set to small.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Def set them to SMALL. I cross mine over at 80hz but experment to see what suits you best.Dont go below 80hz though.

They will play louder and cleaner set to small, crossed over at 80hz and above.This will also allow your amp to have more headroom!

As already stated let the sub handle the bass.
emotion-11.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Depending on the sort of volume that needs to be achieved (higher crossover allows higher volumes), I'd set to about 80Hz for normal use, and anywhere between 100-150Hz for nearer reference level listening, and dependent on the size of the room.

A

Anonymous

got a demo booked for tomorrow at frank harvey, what films out of the following do you think i shud take and any scenes in particular?

transformers 2, se7en, iam legend or avitar

thanks to david@frankharvey

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well there's two action films and two films which are more about atmosphere - your choice!

I like the foot chase sequence in Se7en when Mills is chasing John Doe. I Am Legend, there's the bit where he follows his dog into the building where 'they' are sleeping. Transformers 2, it's been a while, but I suppose the main battle in the forest. And in Avatar, I suppose the first time they go out into the forest and he comes up against the big monster - sorry, forget names! Avatar uses more disc space than most Blurays for picture, and looks stunning, with audio to match.

I have Inception, Book Of Eli and No Country For Old Men at work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts