The Apex Club

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hehe
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

big thanks to david @frankharvey for the demo today, tried the apex with vsx-lx920 and the lx83. i was surprised how good the system sounded on the 920 which i already have, tho the lx83 was as expected the better reciever.

i demo'd the mt-30's a few weeks ago and the apex are definatley a big step up, within 2 minutes i was completley sold and have ordered two a10s and plan to buy the centre in the next month and build it up from there

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Nice one.

They really do sound awsome.

Well worth the wait to build up the system.

If funds are tight look at getting MA Radius R90HD as rears. I was was going to upgrade the rears to Apex but they work so well with the Apex that I am happy with them. When I am able to I will replace them with the A10's and use them as rears in a 7.1 set up.

I do keep harping on about how good they are with music so sit back and enjoy. Run them in for about 400 hours and they really start to sing.

Ric71

michael hoy

pioneere,

glad you liked the Apex, I think most people are supprised when the listen to these speakers and as stated previously they do take a lot of running in.

Hope you can purchase the rest for your system very soon, and enjoy.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
pioneere:big thanks to david @frankharvey for the demo today, tried the apex with vsx-lx920 and the lx83. i was surprised how good the system sounded on the 920 which i already have, tho the lx83 was as expected the better reciever.
No problem, any time
emotion-1.gif

Once you've built up your speaker system, if you drop that 83 in there it's going to blow you away - the difference you heard today was quite small compared to what you'll hear at home.

A

Anonymous

Gentlemen,

Regards the large/small speaker setup question I posed earlier (my amp had set them to large).

as the consensus seemed to be set them to small and let the sub worry about the LF (I'm using a B&W PV1,) I decided to experiment with the small setting with both movies (good old quantum of solace intro) and music.

With my combination of kit the small setting (set crossover's to lowest frequency stated in APEX handbook) it just sucked the life out of the playback, especially with the movies with less drama being portrayed.

Might be more an issue with subwoofer (In past I have done the AV auto setup then afterwards dialled up the subwoofer volume a notch.

PV1 is also positioned for movies (position it with drivers firing parallel to wall then bass tight enough to crack a nut - ideal for music. Turn 90% for movies as give fuller, richer bass).

As it stands I prefer sound of 'large' set-up

A little puzzling and I'll probably do some more experimentation when I get time

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
shanej66:
Gentlemen,

Regards the large/small speaker setup question I posed earlier (my amp had set them to large).

as the consensus seemed to be set them to small and let the sub worry about the LF (I'm using a B&W PV1,) I decided to experiment with the small setting with both movies (good old quantum of solace intro) and music.

With my combination of kit the small setting (set crossover's to lowest frequency stated in APEX handbook) it just sucked the life out of the playback, especially with the movies with less drama being portrayed.

Might be more an issue with subwoofer (In past I have done the AV auto setup then afterwards dialled up the subwoofer volume a notch.

PV1 is also positioned for movies (position it with drivers firing parallel to wall then bass tight enough to crack a nut - ideal for music. Turn 90% for movies as give fuller, richer bass).

A little puzzling and I'll probably do some more experimentation when I get time

I got my Apex up an running today. My Radius R90s were on my rear wall above my sofa (not ideal positioning), and I now have the A10s mounted close to the top of my side walls facing downwards aimed at the sofa. All I can say is wow! I had no idea that they would improve the sound so much.

As of crossovers and the like. I have mine set at 110hz for my A10s. My floorstanding VA Mozarts are set to 80hz and my VA Waltz centre speaker is 90hz. All are set to small.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
shanej66:With my combination of kit the small setting (set crossover's to lowest frequency stated in APEX handbook) it just sucked the life out of the playback, especially with the movies with less drama being portrayed.

Movies are mastered on sub/sat speaker systems that are usually crossed over to THX guidelines - 80Hz. Admittedly, these sats tend to be a little bigger and are capable of far higher outputs than the domestic speakers that are available. So if you set your system to cross over at 80Hz, that's how it was mixed, it's then down to how good your system is to recreate what was heard in the studio.
Having a higher crossover point allows higher volumes - low frequencies needmore cone excursion at higher volumes, so it's best to let the sub handle those frequencies, rather than the smaller cones of the speakers. If people listen at average to lower volumes, a lower crossover point can be selected and used happily, but set this too low and your system will lose 'kick', which will normally be provided by the sub at certain frequencies.
Of course, it is personal preference, and people can try both approaches, but taking the large speaker approach for a small speaker can end up in a not so good result for the bank balance should any drivers decide they can't do what you're asking them to....

A

Anonymous

I'm considering upgrading from the B&W MT-30 to the Apex and I have a few questions:

1. Is the Apex that much better than the MT-30? Please be honest

2. Is my Yamaha RX-V1800 a good match for the Apex?

3. What cable would be a good option to connect the amp to the speakers?

4. I have an offer to buy the 5.1 Apex with 4 stands for EUR 2,250 which I think is a good price. How much do you think I would be able to get for the B&W? Speakers are 3 years old and the PV1 is 1 year old. What's the best way to sell them? MA dealer will not take them for a discount.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pppp1:
I'm considering upgrading from the B&W MT-30 to the Apex and I have a few questions:

1. Is the Apex that much better than the MT-30? Please be honest

2. Is my Yamaha RX-V1800 a good match for the Apex?

3. What cable would be a good option to connect the amp to the speakers?

4. I have an offer to buy the 5.1 Apex with 4 stands for EUR 2,250 which I think is a good price. How much do you think I would be able to get for the B&W? Speakers are 3 years old and the PV1 is 1 year old. What's the best way to sell them? MA dealer will not take them for a discount.

It's a big step up in class.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Gerrardasnails,

1. The Apex will be a huge step up compared to the B&W MT-30 ,(although that is a great system)

2. I have no experience with Yamaha products but from what I have read Apex and Yamaha are a great combo

3. Chord Carnival silverscreen works well but you could still go for a higher end cable

4.Thats is a good price with the stands but look around and make some calls.Put the B&W's on ebay, they will sell very easily.

A

Anonymous

Ordered mine today. 3 x A40 and 2 x A10 which will go on Apex stands behind my seating. I'll be using them with an XLS200.

I listended to them last night and everything about them was impressive. Mine are going in a 14 x 17ft room and will mainly be used to watch movies. Looking forward to it.

A

Anonymous

Going back into my dealer tomorrow to re-audition, it's these or the KEF T series, just hoping the Mrs gives approval for the Apex!

A

Anonymous

Hi Everyone,

I'm just about to venture into my first ever surround sound system.
smile.gif

I do have a few questions I need to ask so I hope some of you good people here can help?

I've decided to purchase the MA Apex 5.1 system and after reading about subs like the BK XXLS400 and the Monolith do you think its
definitely worth swapping over the AW12 Sub for either of these or even
another alternative say a REL?

Could you tell me, can the sub be located in any position as SWMBO wants it behind the sofa!
mad.gif

I'd better mention that the room measures approx 5.2 x 4.7 meters with a suspended wooden floor (see https://picasaweb.google.com/piscato...eat=directlink).

With that in mind would a DF or FF sub be better?

Its also worth mentioning that as far as the receiver is concerned I've
demo'd a Pioneer SC-LX83 which I thought was just a bit too bright for
music - to my ears anyway!

At the weekend I'm going to listen to the Apex 5.1 with a Yamaha 3067 and a Denon 4311 so I'll keep you posted.

I'm really not sure what to do so any advice would be really welcome...
please.gif

Cheers

Dave

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Flyman: Hi Everyone,

smile.gif

I do have a few questions I need to ask so I hope some of you good people here can help?

I've decided to purchase the MA Apex 5.1 system and after reading about subs like the BK XXLS400 and the Monolith do you think its

Could you tell me, can the sub be located in any position as SWMBO wants it behind the sofa!
mad.gif

I'd better mention that the room measures approx 5.2 x 4.7 meters with a suspended wooden floor (see https://picasaweb.google.com/piscato...eat=directlink).

At the weekend I'm going to listen to the Apex 5.1 with a Yamaha 3067 and a Denon 4311 so I'll keep you posted.

please.gif

Cheers

Dave

The W12 subs from Monitor Audio are superb! No reason to buy elsewhere when getting the Apex.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Flyman: Hi Everyone,

smile.gif

mad.gif

please.gif

Cheers

Dave

Hi Flyman,

I cant comment on the Yamaha but from what I have read it will work well with the Apex. The Denon will be superb. I use the 3310 and its brilliant with both movies and music. I listen to prob more music through my system,(multichannel). Spend time setting up which ever receiver you buy properly and you will be rewarded.

You said the Apex sounded bright with the Pioneer. This may be because they were not run in. The Apex need to be run in for at least 300 + hours to show their full potential.

Re subs I use the MJ Acoustics Ref 1 sub as it is fantastic with music.Plenty of depth and delicacy when required. The Apex sub may well play with more grunt as it has a 12" driver as opposed to 10",I have not heard it but it is supposed to be excellent. Get a demo of it.Rel and MJ are very similar and I have only ever heard great things about BK. The Monolith is huge by the way!!!!

Please let us know how you get on and enjoy the experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts