The Apex Club

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any experience of the MA (Apex) sub versus the BKs?

A

Anonymous

michael hoy:
Flyman,

I think the Apex sub would be more than adequate for your room, it is quite a powerful beast when played hard.

Hi michael hoy,

So how does it perform at lower levels when listening to music or general tv viewing?

A

Anonymous

Hi Gerrardasnails,

Do you know if there's much difference in performance between the RSW12 & AW12 sub?

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
before Christmas I had a listen to the apex with a Denon 3311 and preferred my set up (as below) am I missing something or do you think they had them setup incorrectly in the shop.
Dean

A

Anonymous

Hi ric71,

Really appreciate the info here and I'll keep in mind what you say about the running in and setting-up.

No doubt I'll be back very soon asking lots of questions!

I've just discovered that I can't get the SC-LX83 into my cabinet as its too deep so thats now ruled out.
emotion-9.gif

I'll have to see how the Yamaha and the Denon compare at the demo as these two will fit thank goodness!

Thank you for your kind words on the room its nice to hear compliments like that
emotion-2.gif
- revised pictures to follow...

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
dirtydean:before Christmas I had a listen to the apex with a Denon 3311 and preferred my set up (as below) am I missing something or do you think they had them setup incorrectly in the shop.
Dean
I also feel left, out do I qualify for this club. Or do I need to start my own, the MA HD club?

A

Anonymous

I demoed tthe apex range today, which had the AW12 as part of the package(of course, Doh) the AW12 sounded much more controlled an had better timing than the RSW12 IMO (I had an RSW12 on home demo for 2 weeks). And the aesthetics are much better too.

michael hoy

Flyman:michael hoy:
Flyman,

I think the Apex sub would be more than adequate for your room, it is quite a powerful beast when played hard.

Hi michael hoy,

So how does it perform at lower levels when listening to music or general tv viewing?

It performs just as well at low levels, it has subtlety and brawn in equal proportions in fact it is just a delight to listen to, you will not be disappointed.

michael hoy

Flyman:

I've just discovered that I can't get the SC-LX83 into my cabinet as its too deep so thats now ruled out.
emotion-9.gif

I found that out as well with the 72, forgot to check the depth of the amp and ended up removing the lower back portion of my cabinet.

The Yamaha amps should be good with the Apex as well.

I did prefer the Pioneer to the Denon though.

A

Anonymous

dirtydean:dirtydean:before Christmas I had a listen to the apex with a Denon 3311 and preferred my set up (as below) am I missing something or do you think they had them setup incorrectly in the shop.
Dean
I also feel left, out do I qualify for this club. Or do I need to start my own, the MA HD club?

I took a couple of blu rays I was familiar with and had pre-listened to the scenes I wanted to demo before I went, to make sure I wasn't imaging any perceived improvements.

For me the apex shone in 2 areas, high tone detail (which where very similar to the RX1's I owned previously) and the depth of the vocals on the mid range. Which happen to be miles better than the R250HDs I owned (he says boxing them up for their new owner).

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
dirtydean:before Christmas I had a listen to the apex with a Denon 3311 and preferred my set up (as below) am I missing something or do you think they had them setup incorrectly in the shop.
Dean

Hi dirtydean,

They may well have been badly set up but unlikely,they may not have been run in?

It is more likely that you prefered the Radius HD. They are great speakers and I use the The R90HD's as rears. It is all a matter of personal taste .

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ric71:
Dean

Hi dirtydean,

They may well have been badly set up but unlikely,they may not have been run in?

It is more likely that you prefered the Radius HD. They are great speakers and I use the The R90HD's as rears. It is all a matter of personal taste .

It could have been the crossover setting. I've just replaced R90s with Apex A10s and my rear speakers have come alive! Massive improvement. My rears can now compete with my front three.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ric71:
Dean

Hi dirtydean,

It could have been the crossover setting. I've just replaced R90s with Apex A10s and my rear speakers have come alive! Massive improvement. My rears can now compete with my front three.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:ric71:
Dean

Hi dirtydean,

Hi Gerrardasnails,

I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my R90HD rears to A10's.

Would you say it makes a huge difference? I would then use the R90HD's as the surround back channels .

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
ric71:
Dean

Hi dirtydean,

I think it must be me and my taste, going off the comments on here. I never had the intention of buying them so might have just been looking for faults. Don't want the up grade bug again, the wife would kill me I only had my last set up for 8 months before upgrading everything.

A

Anonymous

I definitely agree with you on the AW10 - Like you say its performance is very controlled and refined in the right places!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info about the AW10. I'm pretty sure now I'll stick with it as its made to go with the rest of the system
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I might just have to do the same though I'm rather loathed to as I don't want to risk weakening it with my LX5090 sitting on top!

Out of interest what made you choose the Pioneer over the Denon (which Denon did you demo)?

A

Anonymous

Guys is it possible to get an email sent when someone replies to a post because I cant find away!
emotion-6.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ric71:Gerrardasnails:ric71:
Dean

Hi dirtydean,

Hi Gerrardasnails,

I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my R90HD rears to A10's.

Would you say it makes a huge difference? I would then use the R90HD's as the surround back channels .

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a big difference at all - part of the reason for buying the Apex was getting them in White to please my other half. However, the difference is clear. I'm over the moon with the performance.

michael hoy

Flyman:
I might just have to do the same though I'm rather loathed to as I don't want to risk weakening it with my LX5090 sitting on top!

Out of interest what made you choose the Pioneer over the Denon (which Denon did you demo)?

Flyman,

Can you use the quote option so we know who you are replying to, I chose the Pioneer over the Denon because I preffered the sound with the Apex speakers, also read some very good reports about the Pioneer and the quality of the digital amplification along with the Air Studio tuning.

A

Anonymous

I had the old radius package (not hd version) and i believe the apex is a huge step-up. the sat's are very impressive and by far the best i have ever heard (also demo'ed the b&w mt-30). Sub is also fantastic too packing huge scale.

Only used my apex for c30hrs so still a lot of running in to do but i am very happy with the sound already.

I have paried them with the yamaha rxv3067 amp which i think is amazing and most importantly form a great match with the apex series. I did demo the onkyo nr808 and pioneer lx73 and 83 - the onkyo sounded harsh while the pioneer sounded too bright (to my ears) even with the setting to ajusted this turned down. Yamaha give good warmth....

A

Anonymous

Does any 1 here have an apex 7.1 set up? or even 9.1 ??;) i currently have a 5.1 setup but I'm looking to make it a 7.1 setup. what Would you guys choose: surround wide, surround back or front heights to make it a 7.1?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts