The Apex Club

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hi Greedy, I’m looking at the Panasonic TX-L47WT50. I was looking at one of there plasma but cant really justify the running costs so I decided on an LED.

Looked at the Sony KDL-46HX853 but don’t like the monolith styling. So picked the Panasonic, They review well and I like Panasonic. Had one of there CRT’s for over 20 years and it’s still going well.

Looked at a larger screen, but after having loads of cardboard cut out were the TV is going to live we can’t really go bigger than 50”, but in there LED range they do 42”, 47” and a 55”, can’t accommodate the 55” so it’s the 47”

greedy

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
christmas jones>you worry about electricity costs?Dont worry, todays plasmas are not so power hungry..

for example measred by my friend power comsumption of his 42" panasonic plasma

1.When showing dark scenes, about 120w

2.when showing medium to more bright scenes about 180w

3.when showing white snow on full screen about 350w

So it's not much electricity.How many hours you watching in the day?First generation plasmas can consume 800w :)

Its personal preference, but when we are talking about video quality, i dont care about electricity 8)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Simon Pinkney said:
Hi Guys

I'm sure I already know the A10's will be better than the Kef Eggs but has anyone actually heard the difference between the two?

If you are talking about the KEF KHT3000 series I owned the 3005 system for a while before upgrading to Apex. While the KEF definitely is a good system for movies, Apex is way ahead not only in that area but for music aswell. Despire being a "traditional" speaker arrangement I also think the soundstage is larger, despite KEF's Uni-Q array. Apex offer a fuller, more vivid sound overall with even more detail. They do put demand on the surrounding electronics to really show what they can do, whereas the KEF's are more forgiving. That's my experience of the differences. Also, if you are interested in the Apex AW-12 subwoofer I think you'll find it more capable than any KHT equivalent.

One aspect I miss from the KEF's is the excellent pivoting tabletop feet that all satellites (incl the center) were attached to. It made angling the speakers when placed on top an a/v cabinet super easy. Apex don't quite have the same benefit with theirs, and primarily there is no such thing at all for the bigger A40. This is a mute issue if you use floorstands or wallmounting of course.

Simon Pinkney

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I actually have the KEF KHT 2005.3 system with the Kube 2 subwoofer which I think is a pretty good system for the money.

I then upgraded to a 7.1 system and bought some Kef floorstanders - IQ50's from memory for the front L & R moving the egg speakers to the rear. Again, this works really well in my opinon. However, never satisfied and always looking to upgrade, I've just purchased an A40 for the centre. I was going to buy a Kef centre speaker but they were very big and very ugly!! The A40 is million times better looking than anything I was looking at and even better the sound is great too!

So, I'm thinking..... upgrade the surround speakers and surround back speaker from Kef Eggs to the A10's and maybe upgrade the front L&R at some point too!

What you think??

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, Mr Pinkney, if you had that KHT system and now own the A40 as a center an feel pleased with it I would simply suggest continuing to build up an Apex system. That would likely be a big step up. As you can read in my post on top of this page about using identical speakers all-round I would simply suggest you get additional A40's (if possible) or the A10's. Just be careful not to mix different types of speakers or brands, as that is something I would never ever recommend (again, see post above). You may find the Apex a tad lightweight with stereo music compared to your current floorstanders, but hopefully if you get the AW-12 subwoofer it will complement nicely. I always play music in multi-channel mode with my Apex as I find that more satisfying.

gunny

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Again, I'm really wondering why people insist on buying an overpriced subwoofer when there is so much more that can be had for the same price?

Any proper sub can be matched to a sub sat system, so why would you want to pay +1000€ (at least where I live) for something that only performs up to the level of a proper 600€ sub from a company that only builds subs?

I honestly don't understand... :wall:

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
gunny said:
Again, I'm really wondering why people insist on buying an overpriced subwoofer when there is so much more that can be had for the same price?

Any proper sub can be matched to a sub sat system, so why would you want to pay +1000€ (at least where I live) for something that only performs up to the level of a proper 600€ sub from a company that only builds subs?

I honestly don't understand... :wall:

Hello there gunny :wave: I fully respect your choice of a different brand of subwoofer to complement your Apex speakers. But perhaps you should consider the possibility that on top of everything else some of us may also want matching aesthetics when building a complete system. The AW-12 together with the similarly designed A10/A40 create an awesome looking AND sounding solution.

fwlwrt.jpg

I personally think it's one of the better subwoofers I've heard at this pricepoint and it interacts very well within my room. I don't necessarily agree with your earlier statement made elsewhere that there is no such thing as a matching sub, and that any proper sub will do just fine. I've heard plenty of similar systems with ill-matched subwoofers that ruin the experience. I believe sub/sat systems are more sensitive to this because of the amount of reliance put on the subwoofer. I also know for a fact that Monitor Audio worked meticulously at the blend and seamless integration between the satellites and AW-12. Many retailers and owners I trust could probably verify the result of that.

Please note that I'm not in any way suggesting that no other brand of subwoofer could possibly work. But in this context I believe I've made my point. Oh, by the way; I got two AW-12's (one in front, one in the rear) and for me it's a killer combo in every way. It's a good thing you are happy with your choice though, and of course something similar could well for someone else too.

gunny

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey Rickydeg. I do understand that aesthetics can play a role, specifically if you're running the Apex without the front grills.

But other than that I don't agree and believe the "meticulouse and seamless integration between the sats and the AW-12" is just marketing talk to justify the high cost.

Any system with a proper sub can be made to sound bad because of room acoustics or wrong settings, so the fact that you've heard sub sats systems with ill-matched subs is in my eyes and opinion down to the fact that the sub was not properly placed / adjusted or just down to a crappy sub.

This can equally be the case with the AW-12. A sub only provides sound up until 80 or so Hz.

It is a mono channel so panning of the sound will not affect its output, as low frequencies are omnidirectional (well, you make it more directional by having 2 subs, but that's something else).

Therefore there is no such thing as having a matching sub, it is just a matter of ensuring the the cross-overs are properly set, the AV amp is set up as it should and the room acoustics are under control (either by means of room treatement or devices such as an anti-mode).

All high performance set ups with equipement costly 10x that of our Apex's use subs from well know sub manufacturers such as REL, BK, KK, ... Surely if there would be such a thing as a tonally matched sub, those guys would choose a sub from the range / manufacturer of their speakers? Have a look at: http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers-tactile-transducers/

A lot of interesting discussions on all different types of subs.

I'm not trying to start a fight :cheers: or trying to justify my own choices; if you are happy with your set up and I'm with mine that's all that matters, but it certainly is worth mentioning to newcomers that still have to spend their well earned money, that there are alternatives to the (very) expensive AW-12 sub, however capable it might be.

A

Anonymous

Without being any kind of expert I think I agree with RickyDeg on the subwoofer. Me and my bf first bought a stereo set of Apex A10 but soon wanted to expand to a full set. We could not easily pick a subwoofer and didn't know what to choose. We were allowed by the dealer to borrow Sunfire HRS-10, SVS PC-12 and then lastly Canton 800R. We placed each of them one at a time in the same spot in our listening room and ran through a large number of songs and filmclips but it was difficult get bass to blend well. The SVS sounded disconnected from the Apex and the Sunfire a bit "boomy" (?). The Canton model sounded best but looked a little clunky. The dealer was nice enough to then also lend us AW12 and when we placed it in the same spot bass sounded better than the other three. It was almost like we had bigger speakers. And we purchased it! Maybe just circumstances in our room I have no idea. AW12 is by far the most attractive. I like its "softer" design!

greedy

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
If somebody buys another sub with Apex and likes the sound with it( must do calibration first off all), i cant see any problem.If people like sound - no problem.I bought my Aw-12 without comparision- for me design matching is essential, because my sub is not hidden away.IF i build up, more seriuos system, i will buy Velodyne DD series..But now i'm very happy with AW-12..

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ANLI said:
Without being any kind of expert I think I agree with RickyDeg on the subwoofer. Me and my bf first bought a stereo set of Apex A10 but soon wanted to expand to a full set. We could not easily pick a subwoofer and didn't know what to choose. We were allowed by the dealer to borrow Sunfire HRS-10, SVS PC-12 and then lastly Canton 800R. We placed each of them one at a time in the same spot in our listening room and ran through a large number of songs and filmclips but it was difficult get bass to blend well. The SVS sounded disconnected from the Apex and the Sunfire a bit "boomy" (?). The Canton model sounded best but looked a little clunky. The dealer was nice enough to then also lend us AW12 and when we placed it in the same spot bass sounded better than the other three. It was almost like we had bigger speakers. And we purchased it! Maybe just circumstances in our room I have no idea. AW12 is by far the most attractive. I like its "softer" design!

Hello ANLI :wave: I didn't know you went through that many different subwoofers :O

Maybe you ought to get a second AW-12 now? ;)

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have joined the site looking for advice. I have been looking now for a while to purchase a system for my house and after reading lots of reviews and going to an AV store I have fallen for the APEX system. I have been doing some research and have found this on an auction site

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monitor-Audio-Apex-5-2-System-/261137774422?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3ccd063756

A 5.2 Apex system with stands, I am seriously considering this. What cable would anyone suggest to connect this all up as if I buy this I will have more money to spend on a quality cable.

I welcome anyones thoughts

greedy

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Mark121> hi, i suggest buy Chord Odyssey2 speaker cable for the fronts and center, and maybe for another two surrounds :)

Gunny> insane is put two DD-18 in your bedroom:)I think everybody must think about how big is his room, in velodyne webpage is tool for choosing a proper sub for current room..:)

A

Anonymous

haha I wish we could have two of those like you do Ricky but we got no more space left on the floor to put one :cry: We played some favorite soul/rnb albums today from hdtracks.com and I was happy with the large soundstage and the bass sounded really really good! Those were all 96khz/24bit, I wish all music was in that format because Apex really sounded fabulous with high resolution!

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
In my experience with 15+ years of owning various serious AV set ups any good sub, properly positioned and calibrated will work with any speaker. Many people said my present Paradigm Studio Sub15 would be too much for the Apex. Poppy ****!! It's all about calibrating and EQing the sub unless you have the perfect sounding room. Some subs are simply better than others even though they cost the same. Aesthetics do come into it if you do not have a dedicated listening room.

I have demoed the new KK DXD 12012 and it is very very good. Fantastic value for money. I did not get one originally as it was slightly too tall for where I need to locate it.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ANLI said:
haha I wish we could have two of those like you do Ricky but we got no more space left on the floor to put one :cry: We played some favorite soul/rnb albums today from hdtracks.com and I was happy with the large soundstage and the bass sounded really really good! Those were all 96khz/24bit, I wish all music was in that format because Apex really sounded fabulous with high resolution!

Just clear out some nick-nacks in your livingroom and you'll be all set for your second Apex AW-12 ;)

Believe it or not I haven't had the opportunity to listen to high res 96khz/24bit as much as I would have liked to. There isn't much of my favorite music availabul in that finer quality, but the few albums I have heard were really good (Norah Jones, Massive Attack, Alanis Morissette). With well mixed concert Blu-rays it's nice to hear how well Apex can deal with high res music, the drive and liveliness is very nice. Also delicate notes and voices are great! I wish they'd release more pure audio Blu-rays with a wealth of different genres of music and artists. That would give us music-loving and quality conscious disc-collectors happy. Then again, SACD and DVD-Audio never really took off so I doubt that will happen.

A

Anonymous

Ricky you really must get more high resolution music through Apex because it's wonderful, try hdtracks.com?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts