The Apex Club

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey Joe!
wave.gif
Soon we can welcome you to the club then! Exciting!

In regards to the Denon, since you are moving from traditional 2-channel to full fledged surround, I would strongly suggest you read the manual first (naturally) and excecute the Audyssey calibration procedure with patience and care to get the best out of it. If you have not already done so I'd urge you to get acquainted with Audyssey in general to find out more about it. Although automated, it is somewhat of a powerful calibration tool and reading up on it may prove beneficial.

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq/tour

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq/how-to

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/home

1) use a steady tripod for the measuring microphone 2) make the room as quiet as possible and with no obstructions for the speakers (leave the room yourself, if possible) 3) place the mic according to the instructions by Audyssey/Denon 4) always utilize all 8 measuringpoints

Those are the basics. The whole idea is for Audyssey to gather as much information about your speakers and the acoustics of your room as possible. The more care you put into the set-up and speaker positioning the better results you'll get. Remember to experiment - every room is unique. But if you follow the basics and possibly re-calibrate a few times you'll understand better how the EQ-system works. Also laborate with the various Audyssey-settings once the calibration is complete ('flat'-setting sounds best in my room, for example). Keep in mind that settings done automatically sometimes need to be tweaked to your liking. Trust your ears. Worth remembering is also to re-calibrate when changing something in the room down the road. This is because things added or substracted to the room can have an effect on acoustics and may yield different EQ-results.

Let us know any other questions that might pop up! Enjoy the brilliance that is Apex!

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have bought my apex 5.1 and pioneer lx75 setup. I am very happy for this configuration.

Just one question, after full auto mcacc setup, I have selected the speaker sizes to small. FRQ is 80 hz.

Then i have checked the EQ data on the receiver menu. FULL Auto MCACC does not EQ the 63 hz band while speaker sizes are small, why?

When i change the speaker size to large 63hz band is activating.

Thanx for your advices :wave:

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello paulbroke :wave: Nice avatar! ;)

Naturally you have excellent taste in speakers! Congrats! Let's see some pictures too!

Personally I've never much luck with Apex and Pioneer (LX83 and LX85) while others love it. Obviously someone more knowledgeable on MCACC should answer your question but according to everything I have heard this system only calibrates down to 62Hz regardless and that is it, hence the limitation. Nor does it EQ the subwooferchannel, if I am not mistaken. One would think Pioneer could have updated MCACC to handle these things better. Seems Audyssey, ARC and YPAO might be more advanced in those terms (doesn't mean you can't get an end result that suits you though).

If you set a crossover to 80Hz (preferred with Apex) almost all the bass below 80 goes to the sub; some bass is still output from the other channels due to the nonbrickwall nature of the filter, but it rapidly attenuates with decreasing octave (rate is dependent on the slope). Same goes for audio above 80Hz being output from the sub, at that setting -- there is some, but it's rapidly attenuated the higher you go above 80 Hz. The thing is, I don't think MCACC takes speakers size/crossover to sub/slopes into account at all when setting levels. It just outputs pink noise full range from all channels sequentially. The only place the size/crossover comes into play is when Acoustic Cal EQ 'decides' which frequency bands to adjust. It won't try to EQ bands below the crossover point.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Cheers indeed! :cheers:

Brilliantly excecuted photos, paulbroke[/b]! Thanks for making the effort! Apex look so great, don't they! May I ask if you have tried to move the center A40 to the edge of the cabinet? Possibly moving the floorstanding A10's out the same way? If even possible that is. In terms of the A40 I think you might get even better sound without that extra "baffle" provided by the cabinet. In perfect conditions it should be allowed to project it's sound without any obstacles.

I have mine placed ontop an a/v cabinet also, just half of an inch or so over the edge of it. This proved much better than placing it further in. It gave the sound slightly more "air" and opened it up a bit more. Try it. (and re-calibrate MCACC ofcourse!)

263czdh.jpg

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
A40 center speaker distance is 2.80 cm to my seating position so I have placed A40 close to Tv as possible. After Full MCACC setup, the sound is great..

But maybe you are right, I will also try your advice, thanks. :wave:

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Experimentation is good, and often rewarding with such a transparent speaker as Apex, but obviously if you are happy with the sound that's all that matters! Can't tell you how many times I've moved around and experimented with my set of Apex before I settled with everything. Endless amounts of fine tuning and cablibrations! haha

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I've calibrated my Apex set with MCACC full-auto setup so many times (maybe 20 maybe more) :rofl:

At the last, i've found this placement for the best sound (for me of course).

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You've been bitten by the Apex-bug? HA! I'd say the more Apex you add of the better! :rockout:

If you can I'd recommend going with 'height' channels over extra rear surrounds, without doubt. The Pioneer ought to have Pro Logic IIz (front height) if I'm not mistaken. The soundstage will open up a great deal without sounding artificial and our hearing if far more receptive to sound in front of us than in the rear. Can be tricky to mount though. I had two additional A10's myself a while ago but had issues mounting them on the wall so I sold them, sadly. I've heard several 'height' set-up's at my dealer and a friends house and I'd say it's a good enhancement. Personally I'd rate DTS Neo:X (front height) higher than Pro Logic IIz, but I don't think your Pioneer model has it (it's slightly more effective). 7.1 set-up's with extra rear surrounds have never impressed me much, but that's me.

Then again, you could always go 9.1 aswell :O

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, i have read also some reviews about 7.1 setup ( expecially back surround speakers). They are not so happy for extra back speakers. But as you know, new blu ray movies are coming 7.1 dolby true hd or 7.1 dts hd master sound setups. They accept alternatively 5.1 setup in Dolby Digital or DTS. They not accept 5.1 Dolby True HD etc. so I think 7.1 setup will be necessary in the near future.

9.1 :O yes, i can burn my money for this :twisted:

greedy

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Nice setup, Paulbroke.Do you tried another receivers before buy Pioneer?I had LX-83, but sold it.For me, Denon avr-4311 is much better.The main thing what i dislike in lx-83 , was MCACC, which dont handle low frequency.But thats only me :) Ricky, day after day, i like my Denon more and more.Apex now really shine with MUlteq32..I watch some my old movies again :)I bought Chord Odyssey2 speaker cables and changed my Chord Campana cables :rockout:

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanx greedy

I did not tried another receiver with apex speakers. But I can say that; Pioneer lx-75 and Apex combination is awesome for me. All sounds are natural, clear and powerfull.

Only one point, the start of full auto MCACC setup;

Receiver thinks center speaker is "reverse phase" (while all connections are right). As you can see my center speaker position, it's height can be a problem for setup microphone.

(I have read the manual and this is possible thing according to the manual. If the connections are right, you just click "go next" button then MCACC runs without any problem.) :)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
greedy - great that you are so happy with this combo! The Denon keeps growing on you! That's a good sign! Especially Audyssey seem to bring out great things from the Apex. MultEQ XT32 is indeed an improvement. Needless to say that's what I miss most from my week with the Onkyo TX-NR5009. Hmm... Chord cables seem good, huh? You use banana-connections?

paulbroke - I have also gotten that "reverse phase" message from Audyssey at times. Seems several factors could be at play in order for that to happen (even if you have connected correctly) - placement of the mic or the speaker, even ambient noise in the room or just the room itself. Just ignore it. Then again, maybe you'll get a different result if you move the A40 as suggested?

;)

greedy

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
RickyDeg, i use Audioquest banana :) What cable do you use for aw-12?i use chord chrimson, i think its normal.Do you ever tried use special foot below your receiver/ bluray player? for example http://www.audioquest.com/audio-enhancements/sorbogel-q-foot ...What is your opinion about this - http://www.audioquest.com/audio-enhancements/rca-noise-stopper-caps (sounds crazy for me :)))) )

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Gosh greedy, who knows about tweaks such as that last one? :O Simply put: you have to try for yourself in your system. The original feet under electronics are often a total embarrassment so I'm currently using Nordost Pulsar Points to great effect (the 'backround silence' is more evident, thus dymanics have improved, plus overall spaciousness aswell). It's pretty clear to me that minimizing vibration into electronics and speakers more often than not results in better sound.

npp03.jpg

My entire system is connected with Supra Cabels - a "no-nonsense" company who always produce good quality stuff for very decent prices. In my day I have spent alot of money on many types of cable, some have made more difference than others, but Supra have remained fairly consistent.

r05dlu.png

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I ve tried the setup a lot of times for "center channel reverse phase". I see now, this is a possible action. I should carefully read the manual. :wave:

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Oy, that was quick :exmark: Awesome :dance:

So I take it you gonna use them as rear surrounds given that you've also ordered the stands? Did you not consider using them as height channels, or perhaps that is of no interest?

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
This is loft room, i have not enough height for front heights, only 30cm to standard front speakers. So I will go to 7.1 setup for 7.1 Dolby True HD and 7.1 DTS Master HD movies. ;)

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Today, my 45 days old Pioneer lx75 has died.

While i was watching a bluray movie with my child, the sound has gone. I've checked the movie, another source like PS3, or analog connection... no difference. The sound is not coming from speakers only subwoofer is OK. Then i've resetted receiver, i've checked each speaker channel volume which is on receiver home menu, there is no sound also.

I've contacted to Pioneer support. Probably they will only repair this product but i will not want to see repaired lx75...They will reply to me on Monday and will say their procedure.

Bad luck...

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that paulbroke! Pioneer quality-control, anyone? And you had just ordered your extra pair of A10 Apex... now nothing to hook them up to.

images

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Ricky,

Have hooked the Anthem Statement A5 up to the Apex and damn it's good.

The Apex sound better than ever. It just goes to show how good these speakers are. They sound very very smooth yet accurate and airy. Have the A10's crossed at 80hz and the A40 at 100hz, this is set by ARC. They are blending even better with the Sub15. It is like they are running on nitrous oxide, but smoother and more composed. Was slightly worried that the A5 would have been let down by the Apex but not at all. Hmmmmm maybe another Sub15 next year?

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Apex speakers are ok, i still want them. The problem is; will i use repaired receiver? (no), will they change to new lx75 (i can accept) or if they accept, i can change to new lx85 (yes it will take extra payment but this is the best for me)...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts