The Apex Club

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Oy, would you seriously consider parting from your Apex sub gosahl? I'm betting you won't ;)

Sure, while AW-12 is a formidable performer is may not be the king of subwoofers. You might get more 'slam' and depth with a bigger model, absolutely. But will it make bass fully integrate with your room and blend seamlessly with your Apex satellites? With two capable subwoofers such as the AW-12 you may get the kind of added flexibility that a single unit just can't provide. Depends on what you want to achieve with this upgrade I suppose. Seamless integration and bass that 'grabs' hold of the room on a larger scale and with far less localization? Chances are greater you'll achive that with two carefully placed and individually calibrated subs through Audyssey Sub EQ HT than with one single unit. Like I said before though, it's often room dependant so you'd have to try it out.

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok the deed has been done ive ordered a new aw12 from audio-t hifi in enfield lol

I popped over to get a demo of 2x aw12s after work and voila....it sounded AWESOME!!

Its being delivered to me on Monday :)

Ricky you know me too well haha

But seriously....no more gadgets or upgrades for me now....this thread has burnt a hole in my pocket lol

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
2qi4jmh.png

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey gosalh,

Nice one.I am a strong believer in dual subs and have always run 2 in the past. I see you are near Enfield, I'm in Barnet if you fancy hearing my Anthem/Paradigm/Apex set up as would be good to compare.

Rich

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ric71 said:
Hey gosalh,

Nice one.I am a strong believer in dual subs and have always run 2 in the past. I see you are near Enfield, I'm in Barnet if you fancy hearing my Anthem/Paradigm/Apex set up as would be good to compare.

Rich

We should all have an Apex-get-together :grin: Damn! Why am I not in England! :cry:

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Haha thanks guys, i saw that AW12 staring at me at the demo yesterday looking for a new home, so i couldnt resist ordering one. It did sound much more cleaner and more enveloping than having one subwoofer. The guy demo'd both subs placed at the front and then one placed at the back. Both sounded the same to me regardless of placement but it did sound more balanced and dispersed than having one subwoofer. The salesman used a Denon 4311 which was perfect as that AV matches my A100. He tested Avatar, The Hunger games and some music CDs and they sounded amazing. And the demo room was approx the same size as my room at home as well as the ceiling height so that was a bonus.

Now that my system is complete, i will definetly post new and better photos to share with you which i've been putting off on top of never having the time.

Ric71 i live in Epping so i'm not far from you at all, up the A406 :) Yeah we should hook up and compare systems. Ricky you need to let us know when you're in the UK.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
An Apex-get-together would indeed be interesting and fun! I was planning on coming to the UK this summer but sadly I had to cancel it. Will let you guys know if I do further down the road.

Great feedback about the dual sub demo, gosahl! Confirms my own experience with dual AW-12. I hope you'll achieve great results in your listeningroom. Time to get that Audyssey mic out yet again!

Can't wait for more pictures! Oh, and you know - you could always add yet another pair of A10's to complete a 9.2 set-up! Just an idea for your next shopping-spree... haha

8)

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey gosalh,

I grew up in Woodford Green so know Epping well. My parents are still out that way. I don't know how to pass on details via this forum. I have no problem posting my mob no but not sure if it is against the rules. Any chance some one from WHF can forward my email address to gosalh?

If not you can contact me over in AVForums. Let me know,my username there is richmagnus.

Ricky def let us know when you are in UK.

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Which filter position do you use on AW12..."in" or "out"?

I have asked to Monitor Audio support, their reply is as below:

"As you are using an AV amp with a crossover filter on it, set it to the out position on the AW12. The amp will probably set everything to 80Hz in coordination with THX settings. By putting the switch in the Out position, you do not have to worry about the frequency dial on the sub. I hope that helps? Best Regards"

michael hoy

paulbroke said:
Hi,

Which filter position do you use on AW12..."in" or "out"?

I have asked to Monitor Audio support, their reply is as below:

"As you are using an AV amp with a crossover filter on it, set it to the out position on the AW12. The amp will probably set everything to 80Hz in coordination with THX settings. By putting the switch in the Out position, you do not have to worry about the frequency dial on the sub. I hope that helps? Best Regards"

Out, as per MA's advice.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
paulbroke - the reply you recieved from MA is straight-forward and correct. You should not utilize the filter in the AW-12 since your Pioneer handles the crossover filtering (double filtering is to be avoided). Simply toggle the 'out' setting and just leave it (the frequency dial then has no function). The filter on the sub is only for those rare systems that do not have external filtering.

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, and one more question.

Rarely, the blue light is flashing which is on AW12 watching the movies. For example; during the jurassic park movie, this has happened again after 10 minutes "silience" scene. Then it goes to light up.

I have selected "out" position and have calibrated the speaker setup without any problem. Is this normal?

paulbroke

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
michael hoy

I have Pioneer lx85 and MA speaker setup as yours. Could you check this;

While AW12 subwoofer is on standby (blue led is off), i go to home menu on the receiver and i enter to Speaker Level section (which is on Manuel Speaker Setup). Then i select the sub channel for test tone. Subwoofer is activating after 5-6 seconds. How is yours?

BTW, about flashing blue led light, i have connected coax cable from "SUB1" out (pioneer) to "left" input (AW12). I just read the manual, it says..." connect to "right" input". Maybe blue led flashing is because of this wrong connection...

thanx

gunny

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. Been going through this forum as I'm also one of the happy Apex owners,

although my setup is currently not as "expanded" as most people on here (2x A10 in combination with a very skilled BK XXLS400 DF, all in gloss white).

Reason why I wanted to jump in is because I have 2 questions:

I going to purchase the A40 center soon, followed by 2x R45HD as the rear surrounds have to be rather small (WAF if you know what I mean :) ). As the R45HD will only be used for rear effects I believe it should be ok, but wanted to know if anyone else on here has some idea's on it.

Second question concerns the receiver. I'm currently using a Marantz SR-4001 which was the first AV amp I bought. Although I'm currently happy with the performance, I hear that the APEX speakers shine when being paired with a more potent amp, so was looking at the next step in the chain.

I know the concensus is that the pioneers or Yamaha RX series are proper choices, I was reading rave reviews about the NAD T757 receiver. I'm going to have a listen within the next couple of weeks (purchase of a new amp isn't for the near future anyway), but was wondering if there were any people on this forum that have already heard the NAD or have some experience with it?

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
paulbroke said:
You are right RickyDeg,

But, i am not sure about the reason why this blue led flashing has happened (just 10 seconds)...

Well, if switching to the correct LFE-input doesn't help then I too would suggest contacting MA or your dealer. Worst case scenario: your unit is defect. The blue LED ontop should always be on, regardless if it is in stand-by mode or in full operation. I've never ever seen mine flash at all and it too is set to 'auto'. The LED on the back of the machine is the only thing that should be doing anything (change from red to green) depending on the input signal.

Hope it gets resolved for you!

michael hoy

paulbroke said:
michael hoy

I have Pioneer lx85 and MA speaker setup as yours. Could you check this;

While AW12 subwoofer is on standby (blue led is off), i go to home menu on the receiver and i enter to Speaker Level section (which is on Manuel Speaker Setup). Then i select the sub channel for test tone. Subwoofer is activating after 5-6 seconds. How is yours?

BTW, about flashing blue led light, i have connected coax cable from "SUB1" out (pioneer) to "left" input (AW12). I just read the manual, it says..." connect to "right" input". Maybe blue led flashing is because of this wrong connection...

thanx

Hi,

The blue LED should always be ON.

The standby LED on the back is RED when in standby and GREEN when a signal is received.

Although MA say connect to the right input, it should not make any difference, the sub can be used with a Y splitter cable to utilise the Left and Right inputs.

This would give a gain of a few dB in bass, I have checked this with MA previously.

Hope you receive a reply from MA soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts