The Apex Club

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Ian986 said:
I went for standard set up 4 A10 1 A40 and AW12

I can't wait for them to arrive might have to wait a week before can get them set up :-(

Hi Ian986

Thanks for your reply.

The performance of the Apex sub/sats will be worth the wait. Patience is a virtue :grin:

Btw, what colour have you chosen?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Ian986 said:
I went for standard set up 4 A10 1 A40 and AW12

I can't wait for them to arrive might have to wait a week before can get them set up :-(

Good choices! Will be fun to hear your (detailed) findings later on Ian986. Just dont forget about the essential running-in period of these speakers, including the subwoofer!

A

Anonymous

I don't know if i am at the right spot here, but i am going to put my question here anyway. I have MA APEX i combination with Pioneer LX-83. I, to the contrary to some other people on this forum, like this combo a lot. But there is one thing bothering me. Every now and then it looks like the sub is kicking in too late. When I pull one of the buttons on the back of of the sub it is on all the time and the problem is solved. But I don't like that, because i have to switch it off every time and sometime I forget. Is there any way to have the sub on all th time untill th receiver gets closed down?

Sorry for the mispelling and grammar a I come from the Netherlands.

A

Anonymous

I don't know if i am at the right spot here, but i am going to put my question here anyway. I have MA APEX i combination with Pioneer LX-83. I, to the contrary to some other people on this forum, like this combo a lot. But there is one thing bothering me. Every now and then it looks like the sub is kicking in too late. When I pull one of the buttons on the back of of the sub it is on all the time and the problem is solved. But I don't like that, because i have to switch it off every time and sometime I forget. Is there any way to have the sub on all th time untill th receiver gets closed down?

A

Anonymous

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Magdat said:

Absolutely. Assuming you own the Apex AW-12 subwoofer? Just look in your manual. You can use the so-called 12V trigger function, which the Pioneer should be able to supply aswell. Then the power on/off of your receiver will also control the subwoofer. It is quite a common feature these days on "finer" equipment and is very handy. I use it myself. Good luck.

PS! I strongly suggest you survey the manuals of each product involved to do this correctly.

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
The 12v Trigger method is by far the most reliable method to switch on/off the sub. The signal sense circuit does switch on a very low input voltage. However, it may be that on certian material there isn't a lot of bass output, particularly if the amp is on a low volume level.

12v Triger method solves all those issues and will enable the AW-12 to switch on an off with the AVR. The 3.5-3.5mm jack lead for using with the trigger input is actually supplied with the AW-12, so you should find that in the packaging

Regards,

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Omg Moniter Audio are watching this thread now! I must admit if I had not seen this thread and all the glowing reviews from you guys. I would have purchased another brand

Anyway my apex should arrive on Monday what do you guys recommend how to run in ? And will it hurt if I use just two speaker and sub to start with as wont be able to get the centre and surrounds mounted until the following week ?

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Ian986 said:
Omg Moniter Audio are watching this thread now! I must admit if I had not seen this thread and all the glowing reviews from you guys. I would have purchased another brand

Anyway my apex should arrive on Monday what do you guys recommend how to run in ? And will it hurt if I use just two speaker and sub to start with as wont be able to get the centre and surrounds mounted until the following week ?

As I have stated in several previous posts I felt that my samples of Apex (A10/40) sounded good right out of the box, all except the AW-12 subwoofer. It sounded strained, thick and uncontrolled, all at the same time. I knew it needed a proper running-in period and I think it took well over 100 hrs or so until it actually started to sound like the awesome subwoofer it truly is. The other speakers can take considerably longer to fully mellow into their intended performancelevel. Expect to hear slight improvements over a longer period (which is actually pretty exciting!).

Naturally, if you set your system to play music in all speakers 24 hours a day for weeks they would mellow quicker. And no, it wont "hurt" if you just start off with 1/3 of the system first. Of course, Apex work best when they all get to play together as a unified whole.

Keep us informed on how you get on! And please post some pictures of your set-up!
smiley-cool.gif

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice

What volume should this be done at and does anyone have a running disc from moniter audio they want to sell?

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
SLICKMOTION said:
Ricky

Have you got any recommendations for demo material?

I firmly believe in simply bringing your own favorite CD's/DVD's/Blu-ray's etc. That's the only way to get a first impression on how a new piece of kit performs with material you yourself are familiar with and enjoy to listen to. That's the best advice I can give. Naturally there are 'reference' discs out there which I've used myself during demos, but I'd rather you went with my first advice, honestly.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi fellow apex owners I finally got mine delivered today all though I have only set up two front and sub I am impressed so far there is a lot more to the mid range and the highs sound lovely sub is pretty cool too. I can't wait for them to run in then will be even better ! I am noticing things never heard in music tracks before.

What setting do you guys run I flicked the switch on the sub so that the amp takes care of the cross over point I have set all at 80hrz is this right I take it that the LFE has to be set at the same as the speakers to take over from them?

God them grub screws are a pain as I am working in a confined space could not get the right angle to tighten them up

Just have to wait a week then getting them put up on some MDF board to hide all the wires looks like a spaghetti junction at the moment and I will post some pictures then

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Ian986 said:
Hi fellow apex owners I finally got mine delivered today all though I have only set up two front and sub I am impressed so far there is a lot more to the mid range and the highs sound lovely sub is pretty cool too. I can't wait for them to run in then will be even better ! I am noticing things never heard in music tracks before.

What setting do you guys run I flicked the switch on the sub so that the amp takes care of the cross over point I have set all at 80hrz is this right I take it that the LFE has to be set at the same as the speakers to take over from them?

God them grub screws are a pain as I am working in a confined space could not get the right angle to tighten them up

Just have to wait a week then getting them put up on some MDF board to hide all the wires looks like a spaghetti junction at the moment and I will post some pictures then

Great to hear you are already having good time listening to your new (incomplete) system, Ian!

Most people I believe use the 80Hz frequency cut-off in their receiver for the A10 and A40. However, you naturally need to bypass the internal crossover in the subwoofer AW-12, which it sounded like you've already done? Having that said, the best frequency cut-off for you would greatly depend on how the speakers are placed and how they interact in your particular room. But 80Hz is always a good starting-point. And yes, I would recommend the LFE-channel is set to the same cut-off if you settle on 80Hz for all the satellites. But to laborate and listen is the best advice! And check out the suggested settings of your processor/receiver. Do you have an automatic calibration set-up and have you used it? If so, I suggest running it again after the speakers have been properly run-in.

In terms of the small speakers-terminals on the back, I do agree they are difficult to work with. But I also understand why Monitor Audio had to make them 'short' or 'small' for these satellites. I now use banana-plugs so I dont have this problem anymore.

Let us know how you get on!

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice I wanted to check that I had done the set up right look like I have !

I was having problems with the Allen key bolt to tighten up the speakers had to really do tight on one side Allen key started to bend !

Funny how you keep noticing extra notes in the music that you never heard before going to wire up the centre in a minute and watch a film. I am really glad that I got the AW12 too so thanks for all the advice

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ian,

Glad you are loving the new Apex. Experimentation is the key and as Ricky said once they are run in after a couple of hundred hours re calibrate everything. I have all my Apex crossed over at 100hz as this works best for me.

Enjoy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts