The Apex Club

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply.

Like you say, I have read also that it makes an awesome combo. I have also read the same about all the other brands.

This leans me toward the high end pioneers as I am used to how they work. Specifically the mcaac.

Apart from that I can't really decide between them. Not on feature set alone.

Hopefully I can get a demo on all three so that I can make a more informed decision.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I am looking to buy my first ht set up and have been listening to various combo's. The latest was the onkyo 809 receiver with the monitor audio r90 hd 10 system. I felt that the system lacked weight and the sound quality listening to music dvd's was awful when comparing it to my hi fi (exposure amp and Epos es22 speakers). Music is important to me.

I am contemplating the apex 5.1 system but can only stretch to a max £900 receiver. Would a yamaha or another amp be better for music than the onkyo? The features of the onkyo are important to me, I e. connectivity and wifi, etc.
What receiver do you suggest please?

For music dvd's etc, do people connect a hifi amp to the receiver to get good quality sound? Would I also need to consider floor standing speakers or can the apex system deliver similar hifi quality sound to my old Epos speakers? I don't really want to disturb my hifi system by integrating it with the ht set up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
First off as an Apex owner myself I will highly recommend them. They are extremely good with music but obviously require a sub as they are too small on their own to produce the desired frequency range. You will get a very detailed,open and lighting fast sound/presentation. The Apex used as a 5.1 system is where they really excell in creating a very cohesive and detailed sound stage whether it be with multi channel music or movies.

Re the sub. You can look at BK subs rather than the Apex sub and save 50% of the cost. This will not be a compromise in any terms. Consider the BK XXLS 400 for music or the massive Monolith for movies. I got an MJ sub as I felt it was better with music although cost the same as the Apex sub.

Re receiver I would look at an older flagship model like the Pioneer LX83 or Denon 4310 as they are very very good and fully loaded. If you go the BK sub route you will have a bigger budget for the receiver. It all depends on what features you want. Dare I say it there are a few ARCAM AVR 500's left for silly £ as they are discontinued due to issues that are now fully resolved by ARCAM and it will be better than most other receivers up to £3000 IMHO. You get a 5 year ARCAM warranty as well.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
For my fellow owners I thought I would post a brand new review from local Swedish magazine 'Hemmabio' (issue 1-2, 2012) who never publish reviews online. The Apex 5.1 system was tested by the magazine using Pioneer SC-LX85 and Yamaha RX-A3010, which they've recently reviewed aswell. I'll stick to translating the performance part of the review only.

k0sjr9.png

With these type of speaker membranes one has to expect a slight period of running-in, to put it mildly. When writing this review our Apex-system had been left playing for about 200 hours, and I still think I can hear improvements emerge. So make sure the Apex-system you are listening to when you demo is properly run-in. So, what do you get after the Apex-system is fully run-in? First of all this is a very competent and highly competitive sub/satellite system, where no excuses are needed just because it could also be considered a designsystem. Nor do you pay purely for the technological design or components without them actually contributing to the end result. No, the Apex is a hot system for anyone wanting benifits of satellites, way beyond the interior-friendly aspects. Carefully set-up, with cut-off frequency set at 80Hz and a powerful amplifier, the Monitor Audio Apex deliver cinematic sound of absolute top-class caliber. The so often sought after soundscape is large, but more importantly transparent, in terms of effects placement and panning with pin-sharp accuracy. In particular, the satellites A10 excel by filling the space around them with spatiality in a way only truly great bookself speakers can. On top of that the system has a touch of warmth, which works perfectly in conjunction with Pioneer SC-LX85 and Yamaha RX-A3010. With simpler amplifiers you'll loose this systems strong benifits, so make sure you hook these up to a capable amplifier because the Apex deserve nothing less!

PLUS +

Kick-ass sound quality, Wonderful build

MINUS -

Demands good amplification

CONCLUSION

A perfect system for those seeking ultimate performance with nice design, but don't want floorstanders

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
ric71 said:
First off as an Apex owner myself I will highly recommend them. They are extremely good with music but obviously require a sub as they are too small on their own to produce the desired frequency range. You will get a very detailed,open and lighting fast sound/presentation. The Apex used as a 5.1 system is where they really excell in creating a very cohesive and detailed sound stage whether it be with multi channel music or movies.

Re the sub. You can look at BK subs rather than the Apex sub and save 50% of the cost. This will not be a compromise in any terms. Consider the BK XXLS 400 for music or the massive Monolith for movies. I got an MJ sub as I felt it was better with music although cost the same as the Apex sub.

Re receiver I would look at an older flagship model like the Pioneer LX83 or Denon 4310 as they are very very good and fully loaded. If you go the BK sub route you will have a bigger budget for the receiver. It all depends on what features you want. Dare I say it there are a few ARCAM AVR 500's left for silly £ as they are discontinued due to issues that are now fully resolved by ARCAM and it will be better than most other receivers up to £3000 IMHO. You get a 5 year ARCAM warranty as well.

I went and listened to the apex system today and was pretty impresed how it sounded got offered quite a good deal ! But was told that if I did not have the AW12 could save myself a bit of money! So I am interested in your comments. In the shop they was trying to get me to go for a REL SUB, I can get some good deals on radius r370 on line would this be any good ?Or am I just better getting the AW12

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The R370 sub will be a weak link in the system. I used to own one and it is a good sub but much much better can be had. I would suggest you look at getting a BK Monolith or BK XXLS 400. They will not be a compromise in any respect with the Apex. They are half the price of the Apex sub as they come direct from the manufacturer. Google them. If not look at an MJ Acoustics sub,very good with music.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the help I will call around and see what kind of deal I get offered today will more than likely go with BKXL400

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
RickyDeg said:
...which works perfectly in conjunction with Pioneer SC-LX85...
Hmmmm :)

With simpler amplifiers you'll loose this systems strong benifits, so make sure you hook these up to a capable amplifier because the Apex deserve nothing less!
Nothing we don't already know :grin:

smiley-cool.gif

Thanks for reading! Note that I have yet to find if I myself agree with their findings in terms of partnership with the Pioneer (or the Yamaha) but I wouldn't mind a home-test soon! I didn't have much luck when testing Apex with their previous model, but that's just me.

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I got offered some good deals today and had made my mind up to get apex and BKXL400, but after today I can buy the apex AW12 for just over £300 than BKS XLS400 I am a little nervous about buying the BK Sub as never listerned to it and would the AW12 not intergrate better or easier ?

A

Anonymous

Ian986 said:
I got offered some good deals today and had made my mind up to get apex and BKXL400, but after today I can buy the apex AW12 for just over £300 than BKS XLS400 I am a little nervous about buying the BK Sub as never listerned to it and would the AW12 not intergrate better or easier ?

If you can get the aw12 at that price, and you've auditioned it and you love. Get it! =)

I would.

(or would I splash out a little more and get 2 xxls 400's? Hmmm >)

Ian986 said:

Hi ian986

The Apex AW-12 sub will easily integrate with Apex A10's and A40's. If you can get the AW-12 at fair price then what are you waiting for :) It's a no brainer :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I know this thread isnt very active anymore, but to those apex owners who still read it.

Just wondering if you could share what sub you have chosen to partner your speakers, an maybe go into a little as to why you chose it.

Would be a great help as I'm struggling to decide what to go for myself.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
theclam2008 said:
I know this thread isnt very active anymore, but to those apex owners who still read it.

Just wondering if you could share what sub you have chosen to partner your speakers, an maybe go into a little as to why you chose it.

Uh? This thread isn't very active anymore?

I think you'll find it's actually one of the most active ones on this particular board
smiley-wink.gif

There are plenty of recent posts about the very subject you mention - what subwoofer to partner with the Apex. As for me it was a total no-brainer as I went for the accompaning Apex AW-12, as it sounded best, blended best and looked the best. Others have found other options that seem to suit them. After a long running-in period I became so impressed with the AW-12 that I got a second one to make up a total 7.2-system. It made a nice addition and evened out the bass-respons in my particular listeningroom. So much so that now I can't imagine going back to using just one. This doesn't mean you won't get brilliant result with a single unit, so dont misinterpret me. In terms of sub/satellite systems I firmly believe the AW-12 and the A10/A40 blend seamlessly together in ways very few other similar systems manage. That is also often commented upon in professional reviews. I put this down to Monitor Audio's immaculate efforts in making them work together as a team.

Let us know what you finally choose and how you get on with your system!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

Ive heard nothing but good things about the aw12.

Although a few people have said that you can get the same performance from a sub at half the price. BB xxls400 or rel subs for instance. I find this hard to believe.

On my short list so far are the aw12, mj ref1 mk3, and if I feel flush, velodyne spl12 ultra.

RickyDeg said:
theclam2008 said:

Uh? This thread isn't very active anymore?

I think you'll find it's actually one of the most active ones on this particular board
smiley-wink.gif

There are plenty of recent posts about the very subject you mention - what subwoofer to partner with the Apex. As for me it was a total no-brainer as I went for the accompaning Apex AW-12, as it sounded best, blended best and looked the best. Others have found other options that seem to suit them. After a long running-in period I became so impressed with the AW-12 that I got a second one to make up a total 7.2-system. It made a nice addition and evened out the bass-respons in my particular listeningroom. So much so that now I can't imagine going back to using just one. This doesn't mean you won't get brilliant result with a single unit, so dont misinterpret me. In terms of sub/satellite systems I firmly believe the AW-12 and the A10/A40 blend seamlessly together in ways very few other similar systems manage. That is also often commented upon in professional reviews. I put this down to Monitor Audio's immaculate efforts in making them work together as a team.

Let us know what you finally choose and how you get on with your system!

Hi RickyDeg

I'll also echo your thoughts about the AW-12. I've tried a number of other manufacturers sub woofers with A10's & A40's however as good as these subs are they sound somewhat separated/disjointed from A10's & A40's. The AW-12 is the only sub so far which i've gotten to blend almost seamlessly with A10's & A40's speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Does the aw12 handle movies and music well? Or would you say it preferes one over the other.

Also, what is it like at lower volumes?

Ian986

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I went for standard set up 4 A10 1 A40 and AW12

I can't wait for them to arrive might have to wait a week before can get them set up :-(

A

Anonymous

Hey Ian. Congrats on your purchase.

What receiver are you going to be running the apex on?

theclam2008 said:
Does the aw12 handle movies and music well? Or would you say it preferes one over the other.

Also, what is it like at lower volumes?

Hi theclam2008

Yes, the AW-12 handles music and movie soundtracks really well. I believe the AW-12's strong drive unit powered by a potent and fast power supply also helps the AW-12 to reproduce bass which is tight, fast and with good depth at low and moderate playback levels and one which also maintains its composure at high levels.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts