Tesco HDMI cables

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

rik , i dont have a case , and im sure hamill knows whats what , he owns an lx5090 and an oppo , not exactly begginers gear ??

maybe russ andrews products help improve certain aspects of peoples home cinema , maybe high priced hdmi cables do too , but im not alone in thinking , that it would only be by very small degrees , if at all ...

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
The name codswallop come from a fizzy drinks manufacture called hiram codd that designed and patented a bottle for his fizzy drinks, which had a glass ball at the top of the neck of the bottle, the only way to access the drink was to wallop the ball, thus codswallop.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
slewis:The name codswallop come from a fizzy drinks manufacture called hiram codd that designed and patented a bottle for his fizzy drinks, which had a glass ball at the top of the neck of the bottle, the only way to access the drink was to wallop the ball, thus codswallop.

Its also used when people dont really have a case to argue

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:
slewis:The name codswallop come from a fizzy drinks manufacture called hiram codd that designed and patented a bottle for his fizzy drinks, which had a glass ball at the top of the neck of the bottle, the only way to access the drink was to wallop the ball, thus codswallop.

rik , lets kiss and make up ??? live and let live , im off to study all about the new tvs soon to be arriving , i want to be prepared for 3DGATE
emotion-19.gif
have a good weekend...

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:aliEnRIK:

rik , lets kiss and make up ??? live and let live , im off to study all about the new tvs soon to be arriving , i want to be prepared for 3DGATE
emotion-19.gif
have a good weekend...

Ill pass on the 'kiss' part methinks
emotion-4.gif

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i think when people say 10% its ideal got a £200 blu ray player 20 notes on hdmi, if you lucky enough yo own a £1500 why not spend £150 on a hdmi lead its when people who have spent loads try and save with a £10 may not make any change but at least if you have spend bigger on a hdmi cable you can sit there knowing you are getting the best your buy can offer. And like wise people who buy a £60 samsung dvd from currys and then be sold a £50 pure av hdmi which i have witnessed shocked and really felt like saying something is wrong.Where i guess a 6 pound hdmi could of done a steady job.

You would not buy a £75 tesco suit and then spend £100 on a tie

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:hammill:daveh75:maxflinn:

id say most hdmi cables are made in the same factories , branded differently ,slightly different external design , colours , different prices ...

many other things are...

Have you ever compared a freebie cable to 'higher end' cable!
Yes. I have four HDMI cables, two free (Humax, Oppo (although this is a "quality" cable) an Ixos and a 5* Chord. I spent a few hours trying all combinations desperately trying to justify the premium I paid for the Chord, but I could not see (on a 5090) or hear any difference whatsoever.

Is the 5090 properly calibrated?

Do you have 'dirty mains' where you live, or a high level of EMI?

Does it run through a decent mains conditioner?

If you answered NO to the 1st question then you might not be able to tell a difference anyways

If you answered YES to the 2nd question (or 'dont know') then its very possible that the tvs struggling to produce a decent enough picture as it is and so again you wouldnt be able to tell a difference

If you answered NO to the 3rd question then its the same answer as above

To answer your questions:

1 I set up the 5090 using the recommendations from my local Sevenoaks dealer. I then used the Spears & Munsil disc to refine the settings, not that much needed to be changed.

2 No, I dont. My lounge is on a seperate ring from the kitchen and there are none of the fridge switch on pops I used to have in my old house and I neither see nor hear any evidence of the mains problems I have seen described on this forum.

3 No, because I see no need. I might get a Tacima one day as they are so cheap and it would provide surge protection, but I am would not expect much difference.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

rik , i dont have a case , and im sure hamill knows whats what , he owns an lx5090 and an oppo , not exactly begginers gear ??

maybe russ andrews products help improve certain aspects of peoples home cinema , maybe high priced hdmi cables do too , but im not alone in thinking , that it would only be by very small degrees , if at all ...

Thanks mate.

True Blue:Nah, same logic used as those who say mains cables cant make a difference that have never tried them.

Hi True Blue

I have tried after market mains cables which have been on sale over the last few years and yet all the equipment in my shop at the momemt is used with the standard mains cables supplied with the products.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

True Blue:Nah, same logic used as those who say mains cables cant make a difference that have never tried them.

Just like the people who dismiss the following products, without ever trying them. I hope everyone reaches the point where they do not feel the need to try it themselves. It is just a matter of how much they think they understand about what can and can not work and how quickly their willing suspension of disbelief and trust in the claims gives way to incredulity. Would anyone try the following devices, some must do as they sell.

Artkustik Audio Animator ULTRA £375
It uses quartz technology and requires no power supply. Simply put it on top of your hifi.
It transfers the structural order of crystals to each object, in its proximity. Regardless of which material it is made of plastic, wood or metal. Designed to optimize sound from all hifi components cd player, amplifier, loudspeakers as well as all connecting cables. It will also treat cd discs, records, etc... if you wave them over the device.

Blackbody $959
High-tech audio accessory which greatly enhances audio by addressing the interaction of your audio gear`s circuitory with ambient electromagnetic phenomena. Taking advantage of the quantum nature of particle interaction, able to permeate metal, plastic, wood and other barriers to affect the circuitry inside your components. Simply plug it in and put it on top of your hifi to get a profoundly improved sound quality.

Clarity Pro featuring Coherence Technology £531.29
It works to enhance the actual audio and video signal, it neutralizes noise inherent in circuits... noise that is caused by discrepancies of time and amplitude in the ground plane. By increasing the underlying coherence of the ground plane, the technology neutralizes this noise. Simply plug it in and place it on top of your hifi and be blown away by the clearer sound and video.

Van den Hul health ring room acoustic conditioner £99
Used as a room acoustic conditioner and aids in neutralizing negative disturbances by means of its highly structured molecular composition. Applied on critical spots the rings always produce a better sound stage. The rings are to be positioned at specific places in the room and on the equipment and the results are almost immediately audible.

A

Anonymous

LOL, what a load of ********, some muppet probably has one, or even worse all of them. Wait, I have to wipe the tears from my eyes.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:I assume your post is saying you have found the effects your describe with all these products, knightout?

I am saying it is just a matter of where you draw the line. The arguments that you have to try it for yourself, or there is no agreement as to the audibility/visibility of things. Only hold weight if you give equal credence to all claims and explanations regardless of source. The thing that makes one products claims incredulous and anothers believable is the type and source of proof they have an effect, and the credibility of the explanation of how. Someone is not going to be convinced to try it them self if they think it is incredulous, why would they waste their time, everyone is closed minded to some extent.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:But you said above that you experienced improvements, yes?
I don't get you Andrew. I read knightout's post and I did not get that impression at all.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
hammill:I read knightout's post and I did not get that impression at all.

Really? Of one product he said

knightout:Simply plug it in and put it on top of your hifi to get a profoundly
improved sound quality.

Of another he said

knightout:Simply plug it in and place it on top of your hifi and be blown away by
the clearer sound and video.

And of a third

knightout:the results are almost immediately audible.

They sound like pretty enthusiastic endorsements to me...

A

Anonymous

i think he just pasted manufacturers claims into his post , they were not his views ??

A

Anonymous

I like most consumers am not a electrical engineer working in the AV industry. What I believe is purely down to what sources of information I trust. With hdmi cables this discussion seems to fall down to who you trust Which magazine that says there is no difference, or What Hifi magazine that says there are differences. Some people seeking a definitive answer and having nothing better to do, may have read the hdmi standards or read about issues raised by others like jitter but even then they could have equally read technical explanations claiming the validity of differences. Unless they have the background education and comprehension of what they are reading, it still boils down to who they trust.

Have I tried the products I listed, no. Why not when they give an explanation of how they work, and state they give improvements, and some have happy customers comments. Because I would not countenance it because I find their claims incredulous because I choose to trust other sources of information over them.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think I get it now. But I think you mean incredible, not incredulous, which also added to my confusion. Their claims are incredible to you, whereas you are incredulous regarding them. That, and the lack of quote marks, threw me. It's been a long weekend...

A

Anonymous

hypothetical experiment .....

take 100 people that see a big difference between various hdmi cables.

take 100 people that dont see any difference between the same hdmi cables.

take them all to an optician , for a full eye test.

will the results show that the first group have better eyesight ??

any thoughts ??

maxflinn:

hypothetical experiment .....

take 100 people that see a big difference between various hdmi cables.

take 100 people that dont see any difference between the same hdmi cables.

take them all to an optician , for a full eye test.

will the results show that the first group have better eyesight ??

any thoughts ??

Who is going to sponsor such research? Russ Andrews? Any HDMI cable manufacturer??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts