Tesco HDMI cables

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
:grin:

Just stating a fact :)

This thread was started in 2009, so 3D wouldn't have been an issue then (unless time has flown faster than I care to admit). But it is now, and after many 10-20m cables failed to carry 3D, many manufacturers stopped guaranteeing they would, even high speed 1.4 spec.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
:grin:

Just stating a fact :)

This thread was started in 2009, so 3D wouldn't have been an issue then (unless time has flown faster than I care to admit). But it is now, and after many 10-20m cables failed to carry 3D, many manufacturers stopped guaranteeing they would, even high speed 1.4 spec.
Ok, but if they don't carry 3d, they fail, or they might, in which case they won't.

If they work, they work 100%, and if they fail, they fail 100%.

*IMO

*For the sake of harmony :)

tbodsworth

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Petherick said:
technohippy29uk said:
A binary signal is 1's and 0's, and a 1 will remain a 1, and a 0 will remain a 0.

Perhaps the most repeated incorrect statement of the 21st century, at least as far as this forum is concerned.

Ask yourself how a signal gets from off ('0') to on ('1'). If it's magic then it doesn't need to obey the laws of physics. But if you believe in magic, why don't you believe that cables may make a difference? If it's not magic, then it passes through a number of steps or a transition from '0' to '1' and back again. How does it do this and how long does it take? Will it always do it in the same way and take the same length of time irrespective of what cable or other conduit it's passing through?

You're describing some sort of ramp up and ramp down effect. This may or may not be true but if it is true then do you think your eyes are fast enough to notice?

And also if it's true then why will the cable make a difference? Surely the piece of hardware deciding to output a one or a zero will be much more important. The cable just carries the ones and zeros it doesn't decide which is which!

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
The cable doesn't carry '0's and '1's. It passes a current. It has a resistance and a capacitance, both of which effects may affect the way in which it passes the current.

As regards your question "do you think your eyes are fast enough to notice" - my eyes don't see the digital data, they see the image formed on a device which has received the data, translated it and used the information to create an image.

"The cable just carries the ones and zeros it doesn't decide which is which" - but something has to (the TV in this case) and if the data has been changed in any way from it's original then there MAY be some effect on the image.

As I said, "Perhaps the most repeated incorrect statement of the 21st century"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts