Temporarily connect turntable to computer speakers?

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I want to buy a turntable, but since I'm relatively new, I don't really know a lot about it. I was thinking about buying a mega RP1, or maybe a Project Essential 2 with built in pre-amp, or a Project Debut 3 (I really like the design of them).

Now, since I'm a student, I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the turntable to my computer speakers or iPod speakers, via an aux-port. Would it work if I used a preamp (if necessary) and then an adapter to aux? I'm planning on buying a receiver and speakers in the future, but I don't have a lot of money to buy anything decent right now.

If you have no vinyl, no amp, no decent speakers, you should really think about what you should be doing with your funds.

I don't think you will get any benefit from vinyl without at least a half decent hifi setup.

Get to the pub,

theres plenty of time for vinyl.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
...and if I'm right in my huge broadbush assuption that your youth means that your taste in music leans you more towards material recorded in this century (or at least in the last 25 years), there's pitifully little benefit to be had from buying it on vinyl because mostly it will have been recorded digitally on a computer running ProTools so you may as well have the digital file, either losslessly as a CD or as a download. There's never anything to be gained from copying a digital file to vinyl then playing it, except to old fuddy duddies like some of us here who find the distortion that vinyl adds appealing, and for some bizarre reason some people actually like all the ritualistic faff that goes into playing them and looking after them.

But to answer your question...yes, to use a turntable with powered speakers of any kind you would need either a turntable with a built-in pre-amp or a pre-amp sitting between a regular turntable and your powered speakers.

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I actually do own a little collection of LP's, but haven't used them in a few years because my fathers old record player broke. And I am looking into buying a decent setup, I just don't want to buy all of it at once, because it's quite a big expense, but I definately am interested in starting the hobby a little at a time.

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I actually do own a little collection of LP's, but haven't used them in a few years because my fathers old record player broke. And I am looking into buying a decent setup, I just don't want to buy all of it at once, because it's quite a big expense, but I definately am interested in starting the hobby a little at a time.

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your answer, but I don't know, I'm a big fan of music, and I have some records of my dad lying around that I'd like to spin. There's just something appealing about vinyl, and owning hard copies of your favorite music (which, by the way, goes back from 50 years to now, from classical to metal,...)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts