Tellurium Q Black and my first tweak in a year....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I recently moved my speakers closer together (I was told to do so!) and soon realised that my thick Chord Epic speaker cable was a problem all coiled up. After some googling, I read about Tellurium Q Black (TQB) speaker cable and some reviews suggested that it beats the very good Epic. To fund my planned purchase, I sold my interconnect (Chord Signet) and replaced it with a Merlin Verdi and then plunged for the TQB. I picked up the cable from the post office yesterday and connected up immediately.

Well, I'm very pleased. Everything sounds better. All the attributes of the Epic cable are there but everything is cleaner still. It would have been interesting to hear the TQB with my old interconnect but I will probably get the matching Tellurium at some stage now - not that there is anything wrong with the Merlin. It really is amazing how this flat, plain looking cable can do what it does!

I was very happy with my system before and it's even better now and hasn't cost me anything. It makes me wonder what a DAC upgrade will bring to the party as I don't see how it could get much better - obviously I will have to try! I've been chewing over the Moon DACs (100D and 300D) and the Wyed 4 Sound DAC 1 and recently the Bel Canto DACs have caught my eye too.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
hi m8, wat sound characteristics does your speaker cable have? im looking for a new speaker cable also, relatively warm sounding one. how much were these cables?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad you are happy with the TQ.....imo this cable deserves to be better known.

Of the Dacs you mention, the only one I've heard is the Bel Canto, which should be on any shortlist in its price range.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
krish123 said:
hi m8, wat sound characteristics does your speaker cable have? im looking for a new speaker cable also, relatively warm sounding one. how much were these cables?

It's not warm just very transparent and honest to the recording. I would say as neutral as I've heard.

It's just under £50 per metre.

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
:dance: base is extended mid range is presented slightly forward treble is open without it being harsh in anyway i for one have not heard a better cable at any price.

T

the record spot

400-strand OFC copper will do you fine, I bought mine from Maplins at a cost of about £18 for 6 metres all in and will perform as well as anything more expensive. Online prices are cheaper.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails said:
I recently moved my speakers closer together (I was told to do so!)

I'd be interested to know how far they are apart now?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks, how do they sound closer together?

Smart lady by the way, you make noises about buying new very expensive speaker cable and in a quite unrelated discussion........... How do they do that? :wink:

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
SteveD said:

Smart lady by the way, you make noises about buying new very expensive speaker cable and in a quite unrelated discussion........... How do they do that? :wink:

Too true!

I moved them a few weeks ago and I didn't notice any change in sound. They were about 2.75m apart before.

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
van den hul cs122 laid back warm sounding cable but some would too safe i swap between this and the tellurium from time to time. Two totally different presentations both are a joy to listen to IMO.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails said:
SteveD said:

Too true! I moved them a few weeks ago and I didn't notice any change in sound. They were about 2.75m apart before.

I think I might regret asking but are you really saying you didn't notice any change in sound by nearly halving the distance between your speakers, yet you can tell the difference it made when you change some cables? :?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
visionary said:
Gerrardasnails said:
SteveD said:

Too true! I moved them a few weeks ago and I didn't notice any change in sound. They were about 2.75m apart before.

I think I might regret asking but are you really saying you didn't notice any change in sound by nearly halving the distance between your speakers, yet you can tell the difference it made when you change some cables? :?

No, don't be silly. I've been lying all along.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
This suggests to me you're not in the sweet spot with either distance. Does sound improve if you move towards the speakers? Is there scope to move them again or is this where aesthetics now require them to be?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Not impossible, but (assuming the seating position has remained the same), IMO it's much less likely that it is equally in the sweet spot 1.5m v 2.75m than it is that it's equally out of the sweet spot. Especially when the system is apparently so sensitive to a change of cable.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
To clarify; I was being sarcastic in my last post.

I have had my speakers at the new distance for a couple of months now and the cable change was last week.

I didn't notice a difference (there may have been a slight one but as I had no choice it was not important) when narrowing the distance between my speakers.

I did notice a big difference swapping Chord Signet to £9.99 interconnect.

Changing again to Merlin Verdi improved but I didn't test against the Signet.

Speaker cable change improved things nicely.

Honestly.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad your new speaker cable is working out, and realised your earlier response was ironic ;)

I'm still of the school of thought that speaker positioning is one of the biggest tweaks that can be performed (and for free!) so was wondering if it might be possible to make further improvement even on top of the SC upgrade. If the speakers are in their final position because of aesthetics then no point bothering, but if there is some scope for moving then it is worth some experimenting. I find moving towards and away from the speakers, ears at tweeter height, equal distance from both speakers, gives me a good idea of where the sweet spot is. In my current setup, this resulted in me moving the speakers closer to me and further apart from each other (ie closer to an equilateral triangle).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I'm glad your new speaker cable is working out, and realised your earlier response was ironic ;)

I'm still of the school of thought that speaker positioning is one of the biggest tweaks that can be performed (and for free!) so was wondering if it might be possible to make further improvement even on top of the SC upgrade. If the speakers are in their final position because of aesthetics then no point bothering, but if there is some scope for moving then it is worth some experimenting. I find moving towards and away from the speakers, ears at tweeter height, equal distance from both speakers, gives me a good idea of where the sweet spot is. In my current setup, this resulted in me moving the speakers closer to me and further apart from each other (ie closer to an equilateral triangle).

No, this is their resting place for now. To be honest, I rarely sit at the sweet spot for long periods.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails said:
To be honest, I rarely sit at the sweet spot for long periods.

Same as that.

I have my speakers [mani] 12ft apart and slightly toed in. I find that a good copromise in my room which has various seating positions dotted about, dining table/chairs (furthest away) and 2 sofa's.

They have great off-axis dispersion and sound good anywere in the room.

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I recently brought TQ Black speaker to upgrade from Chord Epic. What I noticed immediately is sound separation is alot clearer on Black. Thereby you heard different instruments/sounds alot clearer or didnt hear them before. The other aspect which seems improved is the soundstage or sound projection is maybe a better way of explaining, it just sounds like the stage has been opened up to twice the sound stage.. literally.

In conclusion I'm very happy I brought the TQ Black speaker cable, no doubt it's improved my sound, very happy with. I aim to get the TQ Black interconnectors next.

ps my space between speakers is 130cm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts