Team / Anyone - Which new Amp will make best of.....

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
M Short Alumni speaker set but I have swapped the front pair for Cambridge Audio SL30's. Have the Sony BD360 player and WE5 40' TV.

Given the short comings of the speaker package, what amp will serve me best??

Was swapping the front pair a mistake? I needed more midrange from the front you see, it sounded a bit week.....is there a better match you could advise I go for, or are the SL30's ok?

Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

In my opinion, you have made a mistake by replacing the front speakers with the CA. The front main and centre channels especially, are the 'life' of a home cinema system and should remain intact as it was designed.

How do I know? I have a Mordaunt Short system too, and for experimentation sake, tried to replace my front left and right speakers with MA BR2's and B&W 685's - cd playback was much better but movies took a big hit.

The system just lost it's ability to handle movie soundtracks with it's previous levels of competency.

You will no doubt have lost the cohesive and synergistic character of your MS speakers.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

I stopped asking Richer Sounds for advise ages ago. Any such 'advice' given would normally result in them trying to push CA products down your throat - ill advised without considering the impact such an 'upgrade' would have on the overall sonic character of the system.

They simply lack the knowledge or understanding to provide any impartial advice - that has been my personal experience with them on several occassions.

I use an Onkyo amp and have found it to be the best partner with my speaker package. I have also tried Yamaha, Denon and Sony.

The Onkyo provides the clarifty, dynamics and power to suit my taste.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

Nick_Shepherd:

M Short Alumni speaker set but I have swapped the front pair for Cambridge Audio SL30's. Have the Sony BD360 player and WE5 40' TV.

Given the short comings of the speaker package, what amp will serve me best??

Was swapping the front pair a mistake? I needed more midrange from the front you see, it sounded a bit week.....is there a better match you could advise I go for, or are the SL30's ok?

Thanks in advance!

What is you current amp? are you using the aluminis as rears and centre and the Cambridge Audio SL30's as the front L&R, Also, how long ago was it the you got the Cambridge Audio SL30's from richer sounds?

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Passingbat:

Current amp is an old Yamaha HTR5540 and you are correct, The SL30's are the front pair and Alumni package are the rest. I wanted (or thought I wanted) more mid range from the front of the system, or so I thought when I had a demo at RS, hence their sugestion of the SL30's. I did ask about how well they match and they said no problem.

Now, I dont really want to get into the whys and where fors of RS, but would like a solution. I have had the SL30's about twom months but one has started to vibrate inside, so I am going to return it for an exchange. Would I be right I should go for something else? Try the alumnis maybe, or is there a larger front pair that would matcg better and give more midrange? or can I get an amp that will help the alumnis?

Thanks to all replies so far and anyone else who can help.

A

Anonymous

Nick_Shepherd:

Passingbat:

Current amp is an old Yamaha HTR5540 and you are correct, The SL30's are the front pair and Alumni package are the rest. I wanted (or thought I wanted) more mid range from the front of the system, or so I thought when I had a demo at RS, hence their sugestion of the SL30's. I did ask about how well they match and they said no problem.

Now, I dont really want to get into the whys and where fors of RS, but would like a solution. I have had the SL30's about twom months but one has started to vibrate inside, so I am going to return it for an exchange. Would I be right I should go for something else? Try the alumnis maybe, or is there a larger front pair that would matcg better and give more midrange? or can I get an amp that will help the alumnis?

Thanks to all replies so far and anyone else who can help.

If you have space for floorstanders, see if you can exchange them for the Mordaunt short Avant 914is that they are currently showing on their web site. Any of the Avant range will be a reasonable match for the Aluminis, so 902i, 904i 906i and 916i. The Avant range has now been discontinued, but there are still some around at various dealers if RS won't play ball. All the above mentioned Avant series will have more midrange and bass than the aluminis; the 906i/916i being the best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts