Teac TN-300 - any views on this new Turntable?

Markfj1200

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, does anyone have any views on, or experience with this new turntable from Teac (TN-300)? on sale at £299 from Richer Sounds. I love the looks and features but wondered whether it would be any better (sound quality wise) than my two old turntables from the 80's? Which are a Sony PS-T22 (Direct drive - with Sony XL-15A cartridge) or Technics SL-B202-EK (Belt drive - Stylus EPS-25CS, Cartridge original but unknown). The Sony turntable still works ok, but I think the Technics needs a new belt as the speed is quite variable. They have not been used for about 15 years!!

I have been planning for a long time to start transferring all my Vinyl records to digital. I was going to use The Sony TT with an old Amp from the 80's that has RIAA/Moving Magnet input to transfer direct to WAV files using Audacity software. Noticing that the TEAC has RIAA built in this would obviate the need to use a seperate Amp. I could also use the USB feature for doing some quick transfers digitally for less important records etc. that I just want a quick transfer to MP3.

Any thoughts welcome.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It's certainly a swish looking thing with an alloy platter.

What is the plint made of and is the arm and assembly metal/alu or plastic?

Markfj1200

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
From what I have read the plinth is made from heavy weight MDF with (in the case of the Cherry version) a real wood veneer. As regards the tone arm TEAC's own website doesn't say, but from what I have read elsewhere the tone arm, assembly & headshell are Aluminium. It comes with an Audio Technica AT-95E VM MM cartridge. The RIAA is switchable so you can use the output as standard line out if needed (and these days a lot of AV / amps don't have a RIAA phono input) and a TI made Analogue to Digital converter.

Specs are here on a PDF: www.teac-audio.eu/downloads/2/7/5/5/9/TEAC_TN-300_product_information_EN.pdf

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, it looks very good as long as they haven't thrown in a lot of plastic!

I am sure it will be on par with most other budget turntables with only upgradeability lacking but its doubtful that matters on that level.

Having said that, Quest Inspire do some nice looking Rega transformations ... at cost.

I am not a fan of the cartridge but many seem to like them.

Markfj1200

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Drummerman. I have looked at the Quest/Rega updates and they look good, but as you say the cost would be a bit high (especially as I don't have a Rega to up-grade).

There lies my dillema which is, do I simply stick with what I have already (the 1980's Sony or Technics which were just above entry level TT's then - (in my case an upgrade from the ubiquitous Garrard SP25 Mk5) or will the Teac budget level be better? One would think that after 35 years even entry/mid level turntables should be better (class for class/price for price) - but then again the "they don't make them like they used too" theory might be a factor. I have no idea!

Whatever, I'm pretty sure the cartridge supplied with the Teac has got to be better than the ones I already have.

I'm also now thinking of getting a Knosti Disco-Antistat record cleaner. On a seperate note, what ever happend to the ZeroStat pistol. I have an original which still works but see they were bought out and now cost £50 on Amazon. Does anyone on here still use an original I wonder.

TRENDING THREADS