TEAC Reference 380 Feedback?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone heard this system yet? Take it, What Hifi as yet have not reviewed this system?

Will be interested to hear how it sounds over the old Reference 300mkIII system.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
No, done the news story, but not had it in for test yet as far as I know (although I've been out of the office for a week, so will have to check with Mr First Tests Editor Lucas when I get back in tomorrow to see if there's any sign of one coming in).

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

Any update on when a review will be done on this unit?

Regards,

Jim

A

Anonymous

Aight guys

Well I have just ordered me a Teach A-H380 Amp so as soon as i get it will let you know what i think of it not got my kef iq30's yet but should have them in a week or 2 so for now will be testing with my old jamo d5'es you gotta love it.

Safe

Aaron

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Our TEAC Reference 380 is now on the premises. It's a First Test in the April issue (on sale March 10th, I think. Somewhere 'round there).

A

Anonymous

any chance you can test it with the kef iq30's pretty please lol

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

I've not heard the old Teac Reference 300 Mk111 system so can't compare it to the Ref 380 but I do know that the CD player in the 300 system was not up to the rest of the system. I was tempted to buy one but the negative reports on the CD player put me off. I have had a very good listen to the new TEAC REF 380 system and compared it with the Denon DM37DAB unit. Both systems were played through Dali Lektor 1 speakers. Firstly the REF 380 system costs £500 and and certainly looks the business, very classy and consists of three seperate units mainly, CD player, amplifier and Tuner. It is not currently available any cheaper than £500. The Denon is an all in one unit and obviously doesn't look as substantial as the TEAC system although the build quality is just as good.. The TEAC system outputs 45w per channel compared to 30w per channel for the Denon. There is very little difference between the sound of both these units. The TEAC may sound every so slightly more detailed but I think this is down to the more powerful amplifier being able to drive the speakers better ( recommended amp for Dali's is 40-100w) but the difference is insignificant. The Denon sounds just as good and only costs £175. If you like the looks of the TEAC and can afford £500 then go ahead and buy it. However I would recommend buying the Denon and spending the difference on a good pair of speakers such as the Dali Lektor 1 and you will still have change left over to buy good speaker cable and even stands.I also had a listen with the B&W 685 speakers but they are no match for the Dali Lektors. Hope this helps.

matthewpiano

I'm not a big fan of the 685s either but I don't think hearing them on the end of two micro systems is really giving them a fair hearing. The Lektors aren't as revealing as the B&Ws so a much better match to the Denon and Teac systems. The 685s really need AT LEAST a NAD C325BEE and preferably something like a Marantz PM7001 or NAD C355BEE to get the best out of them.

My Dad has the Reference 300 MkIII with a pair of Diamond 9.1s I gave him and I have to say it sounds excellent. He originally used it with some Quad 11Ls which were overkill. The Diamond 9.1s sound far far better with that particular system.

A

Anonymous

The Lektors sound a lot more revealing than the 685's on both of these systems. The only thing they lack is bass as it is impossible for such a small cabinet to compete with the 685's. You may be right in that the 685's will sound better on a more powerful setup but a good speaker should sound good on any system. The 685's are tiring to listen to and the vocals are not as open and natural as the Lektors. They also lack in midrange and high end detail and are not as open or dynamic sounding as the Lektors. This is my personal opinion on hearing both speakers.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I can only agree with you Genghis. The Lektor's are a lot more revealing than the 685's. The 685 is such a boring speaker to listen to. The Lektor 1 is such a good speaker for the money, really unbelievable. If you need more bass, wait for the Lektor 2 or 3.

A

Anonymous

I think the Lektor 3's will blow the 685's away. I look forward to hearing them.

A

Anonymous

well i have just got my ah380 amp and must say i have a set of kef cresta 30's jamo d5'es jamo365's and a some scott speakers have tested it on all of them and the 1's that sounded best where the kef's i will be taking my amp down to a local hifi shop to demo some new speakers for it looking at the kef iq30's but i have a feeling that the amp is going to be very fussy when it comes to speakers as none of mine have yet to produce the quality that i would have expected from the amp.

A

Anonymous

quick update changed room and tried playin some high quality FLAC files via my teac ah380 and my jamo d5e's and the sound is quite detailed for such a cheap amp a lot better than i had expected. based on the amps quality i have just ordered the rest of the system

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts