Tannoy DC6T

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello, anyone use them, I have been offered a pair at a huge discount, just wondering what they are like and what you use them with.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
They are having to offer huge discounts to clear old stock. That in itself should tell you quite a lot.

I had the misfortune to hear the standmount DC6 earlier this year, I thought them so unpleasant I actually asked if that was what the should sound like, the salesman seemed a bit nonplussed.

A better amplifier seemed to help, but the essential (what I termed) 'fractured' quality remained largely untouched.

insider9

I had a pair of DC6T on my second system and thoroughly enjoyed them. I listened to them with Onkyo, Arcam, NAD, Cambridge Audio and Primare amps.

If you prefer the sound of soft dome tweeters they may sound too harsh in treble. I rather like the dual concentric design and found them really good. They're decent with positionong depending on amp and can be close to wall but benefit from 40cm to back wall. Sensitive enough to be run by low power amps. I'm sure even valves would be fine.

Open mids, detailed treble, not too deep or detailed in bass. Very good soundstage.

Be careful with pairing with bright amps as it may be too much. If you read WHF review it's more or less accurate. I personally haven't heard any benefit from biwiring.

One last thing second hand you may get a decent pair for less than £300 if you're not in a hurry and are willing to collect. I sold mine for less than that and they were pristine.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This is where subjective opinions on individual pieces of equipment fall down. I found the the DC6s to be unlistenable, horrible but others appear to like them, that is just the way it is.

There is really no discussion to be had, one person likes another doesn't, I could call someone deaf for not hearing what I hear, happens often enough, but that is rude and pointless, what else is there to say?

insider9

The threads I learn the most from are the ones that contain opposite views. Debate is always good as long as it's done in a respectful way.

I'm not trying to say my view is better than anyone else's. It would help if OP could be more specific as to what he's looking to achieve in what kind of environment. What sonic qualities he's looking for and what so far he could reference that ticked some of the boxes.

For what we know it may be for home cinema setup...

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
thanks for replies, I have a Rega RP3 with a Yamaha AS501, speakers are Tannoy V1, I like the sound but just fancied a bit more bass, I like Tannoy speakers, wish I had the room for some old 15 inch red or golds and the money, any how was just wondering what your thoughts were, have read the reviews and they seem quite favourable but it's always nice to hear actual user reviews, I don't mind if others don't like them, as said earlier opinions differ, my music is mainly 70s prog rock but I also like 60s pop, rock n roll and jazz, any how thanks for your replies.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a pair on home demo about 2 years ago. Paired with my Rega Brio (38w) and Rega Apollo I compared them against the Rega RS3's and found the DC6T's made me want to party, but I preferred the RS3's more 'musical' sound. If you are not sure based on the responses, a home demo is a must.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
When I was in the market for a new hifi, I had a listen to the 'SE' version. Whilst they seemed to do detail rather well, I thought they lacked bass. That said, it's all relative to personal taste, some people like it that way. I thought it quite revealing though, that the salesman suggested adding a sub.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts