TANNOY DC6T SE ANY BETTER THAN DC6 SE STANDMOUNTS?

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Having updated my HiFi recently to Marantz PM8005, SA8005 and Tannoy DC6 SE mounted on isolation pads and Atacama Moseco 6 stands filled with Atabites I was considering changing the speakers again.

The reason for this is I feel the speakers are lacking in bass response but in all other respects are excellent. Are the speakers the weakest part of my system? Would the Tannoy DC6SE T be a significant improvement or would it be better to look at different models and manufacturers? The room size is only about 15ft x15ft.

I am happy to spend upto £1000.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I would stick with stands mounts if i were you as your room is a simular size to mine.

give the b&w 685s2 a go they've plenty of low end and is controlled/detailed and apprently b&w and marantz are meant to work very well together.

But if you really fancy floorstanders give:

b&w 684s2 (£800) or the new tannoy XT6F floorstanders they are price at £1000 so right on your budget.

A simple look at the frequency range of these speakers would indicate a better bass response from the DC6T's as would be expected.

If you are happy with the overall Tannoy 'house' sound then I would say a move to the DC6T's would be a logical move. They currently go for £200 more than the standmounters but you can always sell those Atacama's :)

EDIT: Having just read TheMadOnes reply I would also suggest, for a really big change, and if you have the money then do indeed try to audition those latest Tannoys (XT6F) as he suggests.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Its very personal but id get the Tannoy DC6TSE they are going very cheap at richer sounds.

My Personal opinion would be not to pay more for the new xt 6t as the improvement wont be an extra £400 -£500 worth -so if you can try demo them.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi there.

When I was in the hunt for a new HiFi last year, I auditioned the DC6T SE's, powered by the 8005. I have to say that I was quite disappointed. They had pretty good clarity, but seemed to lack any bass at all. Of course, what I like will be different to what others like, but I would suggest you give the Kef R300's a try. I bought these recently and are right up my street, warm but controlled bass with plenty of weight when required.

rainsoothe

I didn't like the DC6T SE with Exposure 2010 S2. They didn't necessarily lack bass (Marantz might have something to do with this), but it was rather wooly and the speakers were just "meh"... You might wanna give some Dali Ikons a try, or perhaps XTZ 99.26 mk II or the Kef R300. Also let dealer make suggestions, they might have a better idea of what to partner with Marantz.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all who replied to my post. Its certainly given me some new ideas to explore, I think I would like to go for floorstanders the Tannoy Precision 6.2 or 6.4's look interesting. I've always bought Tannoy as I found them pretty good but I thought it might be time for a change. Best I go to my local Richersounds for a demo I think!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
AntAxon said:
Thank you all who replied to my post.  Its certainly given me some new ideas to explore, I think I would like to go for floorstanders the Tannoy Precision 6.2 or 6.4's look interesting.  I've always bought Tannoy as I found them pretty good but I thought it might be time for a change.  Best I go to my local Richersounds for a demo I think!
[the precision 6.4 will really suit you but take in your amp to see if it works. The precision range are a step up from the dc range.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I notice that I can connect a subwoofer to the preamp output on the Marantz PM8005. I only really use the system to listen to music so would this be a sensible upgrade rather than changing the DC6 SE standmounts?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts