Tannoy Arena packages

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys a few questions,

1) whats the difference between the "light" and normal versions

2) which has the better woofer?

3) How does the arena compare to its competitors (under 1000) as there are some good deals on the arenas at the moment. Also a bit concerned because Andrew you mentioned in one of your posts that the mordaunt short premieres edge the tannoy. Is this true and am i right in thinking they are the speakers that look like the avant models just smaller? I ask because ive seen the mordaunt short package at a lot cheeper than the tannoys and theres used examples which would mean im making a big saving. I dont just want to be paying a premium for asthetics for the tannoys (as nice as they do look).

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I recently got the arena package with TS500 sub so from my knowledge:

1) The Arena lite is the 'new' arena package - the satallites are the same as the standard Arenas but the new sub is pretty weak. However, a number of stores are offering the Arena satallites with the Tannoy TS300 and TS500 subs which I think used to come from the Highline series (£1k+ sets). They are 300w and 500w subs.

As I said, I got the package with the TS500 and it is very very good. I have it twinned with a Onk 875 atm but tried the Yam 863 and both sounded superb with movies and music.

2) See above.

3) I was originally looking at 3005's and MT30's but as these were on offer and went with the recommendation of others and got the Tannoy's. I didnt trial them side by side tho but went from people that had. I had to make sure they looked smart to please the other half so my choice was limited but I love these speakers.

A

Anonymous

I think I can answer this:

1) The original Arena set came with the sats, including rubber based metal grills and the TS300 sub-woofer (which I used to own in tasty bronze...). However, at £1200rrp, the package was rather expensive so Tannoy release the Arena Light package. This is the same as the original, but with the TS10 sub that is quite inferior to the TS300. This sold for, if I remember, £800rrp but really didn't cut the mustard, especially with the AE Aego and especially Quad L-ite packs using superior subs. At about this time the high end highline came out with an option to partner with the new 12" 500w TS500 sub. This sub is now being offered as part of the Arena line.

So, there's three versions: Arena Lite (sats plus TS10), Arena (Sats plus TS300) and Arena TS500 (Sats plus TS500)

2) Judging on how much better the TS300 is over the TS10, the '500 must be a monster. I used to have a BK xls200 and the TS300 was the better of it for AV, if not for music. I was quite surprised at how powerful the TS300 was. I felt that the TS300 performed better with the driver pointing towards the floor, rather than FF.

3) If the Tannoy arena's can't outperform the MS premier set, I will eat my hat! MS make some great stuff, but that range of speakers can't touch the Arenas. Are the Tannoy's the best? Maybe for more musical tastes, but then I would rather have bigger speakers and run them full range, if this is an option, without the sub. For AV, the Tannoys are good, better than the AE and Quad sets. However I would rather go for the M&K K15/K12 package which is currently going for £599, even if they are very ugly.

Russell

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I can endorse the other answers you've already received, except that there is an Arena sub, (or was), and it is different to the TS300 in looks, (though in terms of performance I don't think there's much difference). But if you buy the Arena now it sells with the TS300, as far as I'm aware. I think the combo with the TS500 is made up by a retailer rather than being a package, and from what I've read ommits the grilles.

And the TS300 is from the Highline 300 which was considerably more than £1000 at RRP I believe, and the TS500 from the highline 500, which is well over £2000 at RRP. The TS300 has performed great for me, (also found it better pointing down), so I bet the TS500 is great.

In terms of comparison to packages under £1000, you've got to remember that while the Arena price is lower now, (maybe due to it seeming to be inexplicably unpopular), it used to cost a lot more. With stands, which put its price above £1600, it got five stars in WHF alongside the B&W MT-30 at £1500+. So you'd really need to be looking at other discounted packages to match its performance.

I've personally listened to the Arena alongside the MT-30, and KEF 3005SE and 5005, and the Arena was much better in my opinion.

Rest assured you are getting the performance as well as looks, and at the price it is now, it's a total bargain in my opinion. I don't know if you might find something else out there that currently sells for a similar price, looks OK, and is better than the Arena, but it's always worth having a few demos.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts