Question Can a bookshelf beat a floorstanders???

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
I currently own mordaunt short 914i floorstanders in my living room either side of chimney breast (close into corners).
The Mrs thinks they look to big!
Iv always had a yearning for some monitor audio bronze 2 (now discontinued but still easily found)

Now my question is this..... Would I be taking a backward step and regret the swap or can they do the job?
I'd lose bass I understand and scale? But would have more play in positioning see and they wouldn be as commanding on the eye.

Yamaha as201 amp
Cds and streaming.

I know I'd need some stands etc but it's the bass and quality I'm concerned about.

Whaddya reckon? Stick or twist? I don't mind going against the Mrs....... Again.

Close to wall so front ported. More suitable to streaming being a more modern design? I don't know?

D

Deleted member 116933

The simple answer is yes,

The longer answer is compared to what and how much money do you have. As bookshelves that are that way inclined tend to be on the more expensive side especially if they're on the smaller side.

Speakers like revel 106m beat many smaller floorstanders in regard to bass, but you have the benefit that they are more dynamic and don't sound slow like some larger floorstanders can.

another brand to look at its the buchardt audio A400 very good indeed again pricey.

Wharfdale Lintons cheaper but again pretty pricey.

Scale wise, again it depends on what you're comparing them too, all the above opinions will blow your current speakers away in regards to dynamics and bass, not just the quantity but the quality.

But you have to ask the question and show the wife/other half what you have to put under the stand mounts speakers. they will take up the same amount of floor space and many stands no matter how well designed will look very industrial.

Perhaps also show her some better-looking floorstanders the Mordaunt short 914i IMO aren't all that good looking so I'm with here there TBH

You have plenty of options but stand mounters that can truly do the job will cost some pennies id say at least over the 800quid mark. That's when things start to really open up, and you can shut your eyes and believe there's some floor standers in the room.

Auditon some of those options and go to a hi-fi shop with your Mrs if she anything like my other half its better show them in a setting.

Reactions: Shildondurham

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Budget would be 3-400 so not huge. Like I say I like the look of the bronze 2.
I quite like the sound of the 914i so it's a tough one as I worry I'll regret a change.
I would prob try bronze 2 or QA 3020 on design and reviews.
So hard when you can't go listen.

It might be better to simply get some slimmer or 'nicer' floorstanders to keep the missus happy, otherwise as above it could be costly especially as you have to purchase decent stands as well.
Think Totem Arro or similar.

Not sure the Arros will be suitable for a entry-level Yamaha. They do need good amplification. I would suggest something like Neat Iota Alphas would be better suited.

I do think floorstanders are aesthetically better. Small speakers on stands can look agricultural. My daughter prefers the look of the RS6s to the TB2is on metal stands. It's hard to disagree.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 116933

Budget would be 3-400 so not huge. Like I say I like the look of the bronze 2.
I quite like the sound of the 914i so it's a tough one as I worry I'll regret a change.
I would prob try bronze 2 or QA 3020 on design and reviews.
So hard when you can't go listen.

For that budget, id urge you to look second hand as long as they are in good cosmetic condition if you don't like them you will be able to sell them off again no problem. You'll actually end up spending less win-win.

look out for kef iq5's The special edition versions. these have revised crossovers

mission 780 series 781 and 3's being the bigger of the series, old school mission goes really well with Yamaha and these will take many amp upgrades

Mission m74 73 72, 701, 700 all sound very good and can be had for amazing prices
if you want to stay big and want really bold sound 703's sound amazing for the money. Be warned THEY BIG physically and sound wise.

Kef q series of speakers are pretty good there also a nice looking r series going right now

be patient you're in no rush

Electronics are selling like hot cakes on ebay right now.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I've always found that stand mounters often give a better, more accurate soundstage and the bass I get from my Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's almost defy the laws of physics.
I'd agree with millennia_one on looking second-hand.
I used to have a pair of Sonus Faber Concerto's that sounded magical. You might drop on a pair of the slightly smaller Concertino's for that sort of budget. These will be very refined and not at all lightweight.
Your Missus might appreciate the Italian good looks too!

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
If you are set on Bookshelf speakers but the Mrs doesn't like stands, I suggest you look at Audio Chic, they do some great looking stands for Bookshelf speakers that may keep the Mrs happy. Good luck.

I've always found that stand mounters often give a better, more accurate soundstage and the bass I get from my Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's almost defy the laws of physics.
I'd agree with millennia_one on looking second-hand.
I used to have a pair of Sonus Faber Concerto's that sounded magical. You might drop on a pair of the slightly smaller Concertino's for that sort of budget. These will be very refined and not at all lightweight.
Your Missus might appreciate the Italian good looks too!
He'll be very lucky to find even Concertinos for the budget in question, they'll be £600+

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts