Systemdek IIX

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I have just acquired a Systemdek IIX, complete with an Audio Technica AT1120 tone arm and Shure M75ED cartridge, there is also a spare AT110E cartridge.

It has been lying around in a cupboard for the last few years and not used for probably the best part of the last decade. I picked it up at the weekend and as there were no transport screws, I had to drive home carefully with it on the front seat - hopefully no damage has been done.

The deck looks pretty immaculate, there are no scratches, chips or marks apart from the faded logo on the lid, however, I would think that it is in need of some TLC.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping you vinyl junkies out there can answer:

1) is there is a dealer/person in the London/Essex area that would be able to service the deck?
2) i'm unfamiliar with the tone arm and cartridges - are these any good or would an upgrade be worthwhile?
3) will it be an improvement on my Project Debut III?

Thanks all,

T

the record spot

Good call Tony, great old deck, which Audio Note took as the basis to some degree for the TT1 deck.

1) Yes, there will be, possibly London Sound in north London (Harlow I think?), or maybe the likes of Walrus in New Quebec Street will know of someone they use.

2) Yes, not acquainted with the arm, but around £140 gets you the excellent Rega RB-201, currently employed on the Rega P2 and should be a good match. £225 will get you the P3's RB-301. Alternatively, shop around for a secondhand or ex-dem deal to the latter cheaper.

3) Yes, I'd imagine it would. Maybe not night and day, but with a new arm and cartridge, I'd expect a bit of a step up from the Debut, good though it is.

A

Anonymous

That's a fine turntable. Don't know the arm, but by all accounts, including a Gramophone review, it is good. I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it: apart from the cost, your deck won't be set up for the Rega mount so you'll have to factor in the cost of mounting it.

The cartridge I do know, and whie it is good that arm and turntable can take better. If you like the sound from the AT I'd look at the AT 120E or the AT440. I'd also think about the Denons, bearing in mind some are low output moving coils.

The sound will be different to your Pro-ject, which is bright, bouncy, and a touch too noisy. Look for a deeper sound, better separation or air if you like between the instruments, and altogether greater realism.

If you want to upgrade anything, I'd suggest the amp.

A

Anonymous

I'll give walrus a call and see what they can offer/suggest - thanks RS.

Tarquinh, I see what your saying about my amp - i've been thinking of upgrading that for a while now - something along the lines of the Creek Evo II.

On balance I think i'll leave the arm as is for now and upgrade the cart to start - would a 2M Blue hit the spot?

A

Anonymous

Tony Warwick:

Tarquinh, I see what your saying about my amp - i've been thinking of upgrading that for a while now - something along the lines of the Creek Evo II.

Tony. As you loe the EB1's and maybe an amp upgrade is imminent, perhaps you should audition the Naim Nait 5SE

A

Anonymous

EB Ricky:Tony Warwick:

Tony. As you loe the EB1's and maybe an amp upgrade is imminent, perhaps you should audition the Naim Nait 5SE

Thanks Ricky, I'll add that to my short list along with a Leema Pulse.

A

Anonymous

Tony Warwick:On balance I think i'll leave the arm as is for now and upgrade the cart to start - would a 2M Blue hit the spot?Yes, should be fine. Thereïs also a new series of Ortofon cartridges out - they might be worth considering.

Enjoy your new turntable!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts