Buzzing Rega planar 1

Mikey77

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
At medium to high volume on my Rega planar 1, I get a buzzing sound. It's only audible at quiet parts of the music. When I unplug the fixed leads from the turntable to the phono stage, it stops and is there even with the turntable switched off so I'm pretty sure it's caused somewhere between the crappy fixed phono cable and the cartridge.
I've put a grounding wire from the shield on the left Phono output to the earth on the phono stage and connected this to the amps casing which seems to make a small difference. Tried moving mains plugs and rearanging equipment etc but no change there.
Wondering if it's worth rewiring the tone arm with something like this:
The fixed cable seem such poor quality and the strange earthing arrangement seems like a weak point. How easy would this be to fit?
Or is there's anything else I should try first?
Thanks.

Mikey77

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
It's a phono box E.
Attached a pic of how the cartridge is connected.
I also tried shorting the blue cable to the earth on the phono stage but no difference.

Attachments

• 20220103_121115.jpg
    20220103_121115.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 9

Gray

How easy would this be to fit?
You've probably seen their picture showing the bare ends soldered to a PCB.
That has easy access and plenty of room.
With your Rega, it wouldn't be so easy.
Fitting it would invalidate any guarantee that you may have too.

Despite me making a conscious effort never to bend or strain cables, surprisingly, one channel of my own fixed cable went intermittent at the plug end.
Your symptom suggests that intermittency is not the cause - but if you've got a multimeter you could remove all 4 cartridge connections and do a full continuity check to the RCA plugs (whilst gently bending the cables at the point where they enter the plugs).
Check also continuity from one plug's ground to an exposed metal (non-painted) part on the arm.

EDIT: Before doing the above:
You tried left channel ground to phono stage earth.....if you haven't already, try the right.

Last edited:

Mikey77

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Thanks.
Just tried your suggestions. No difference on right channel. I checked the earth on the tone arm and continuity of the blue wire up to the phono plug and that was fine too.
Wondering if it's picking up an RF signal from the power supply or something.

Gray

Solved it!
Send that it was the phono stage rather than the wiring of the tone arm.
Grounding using a wire to earn pin of a spare plug into the multi socket to the ground pin of the phono e.
View: https://youtu.be/baWd09J47Us

Perfectly quiet now!
Cheers.
Video man still has phono preamp a bit too close to mains power supplies for comfort - and signal lead to Zeppelin running along the skirting next to a mains lead. Not recommended....but he's lost his audible buzz, so he's happy 🙂

Glad you're sorted too 👍

Reactions: Mikey77

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts