System set up, help needed..???

iangarrett

Feb 2, 2008
Visit site
I have a 50" Pioneer 508XD, Onkyo SR606 amp and the Sony HDX 890 DVD recorder. Since adding my dvd recorder I have it connected to my amp via QED HDMI lead and using it purely for dvd playback. I now want to set it up correctly to use it to record on as well. How do I do this for the best results. I would prefer to use the TV's freeview instead of the dvd's. I have seen various methods in the manuals and have just confused myself. Any advise would be appreciated..!!

In addition to this I was looking at a blu-ray player and I fancied the Pioneer BDP51FD. I know this model has been out a while now but I can pick one up for less than £200 which makes it very attractive, especially as it would match my TV. Any suggestions..???

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Ariel into the back of the DVD/HDD recorder.

Ariel patch from DVD/HDD recorder to TV.

HDMI lead from DVD/HDD recorder to either the TV or the Onkyo.

If going direct to the TV with the HDMI use the optical/Coaxial out on the DVD/HDD recorder to feed audio to the Amp.

iangarrett

Feb 2, 2008
Visit site
What is an aerial patch..??? If I leave the sytem set up as it is with the HDMI from the dvd to amp do I need to do anything additional to record..??? Is this the better option or is it better to go direct to the tv..???

nads

iangarrett:What is an aerial patch..??? If I leave the sytem set up as it is with the HDMI from the dvd to amp do I need to do anything additional to record..??? Is this the better option or is it better to go direct to the tv..???

yes the scarts if you want to use the TV freeview as the HDMI is one way from amp to TV.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Right step by step....the only thing you didn't say was how many HDMI sockets your TV had so I'll assume you have at least 2.....

Ariel for Freeview into back of TV, scart from TV(RGB scart socket) to scart on DVD rec(socket will be marked TV or IN), to record from the the TV set the record channel on the DVD rec to the scart input (usually A1 or EXT 1), this will record from that scart input only, ie whatever is on TV. HDMI from TV to DVD(for upscaling though not necessary as your Blu-Ray player will also upscale DVD), and optical or coaxial from DVD rec to amp(no need for HDMI connection to amp from DVD as no HD sound).

Blu-ray HDMI to AMP, and AMP to TV via HDMI....

HTH

daveh75

iangarrett: I would prefer to use the TV's freeview instead of the dvd's. Any particular reason, setting up in this way limits its use. You'll be stuck with only being able to record what you're watching and the TV will have to be switched on when recording.

You'd be much better off using the recorders internal tuner IMHO........

iangarrett

Feb 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much, I will give it a go and see how I get on..!!!

The reason I wanted to use the TV was it has much more user friendly menu's. Is there an alternative and how do I do that..??

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ian to use the freeview in the DVD rec put your external ariel into the ariel 'in' on the back of the DVDrec then use the 'RF' lead which is a male to female ariel ext from the 'out' to the ariel socket of the TV then you will tune the DVDrec so that if you have it set on ch1 you get BBC 1 etc; this will allow you to watch a channel while taping another...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts