System matching HELP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI, first time on the forum and in need of some clarity. I am looking to upgrade from a system based in the 80s and need some help please

Potential system

Room size 6m x 4.5m approx, viewing distance 3.5m

Screen: Samsung ps50q97hdx

Sources: Sky HD & PS3

Amp: Onkyo sr505

Speakers: kef 2005.2

Using mainly sky HD and SD with occasional ps3 blue ray DVDs & Games
The onkyo sr605 has up scaling, what is this and would it be worth spending the extra £150, or would the speakers no longer be matched to the amp? All the speaker packages are 5.1 systems. Both the 505 & 605 amps have 7.1 capabilities. What does sky HD broadcast in? And would there be any advantage to a 6.1 or 7.1 package used in conjunction with sky HD. I am completely confused by all the surround modes, would the amp automatically select its optimum mode? Do I need a full HD ready set to get the most out of sky HD? The TV is mounted approx 4M from the sky box amp etc, what is the best connection for that distance, hdmi or component. Obviously this would just be for video signals, does this make a difference.[/list]
Can anyone help please i am overwhelmed with info and advice ?

A

Anonymous

Ok, deep breath. Let's start with your upscaling query. That refers to video, not audio. It serves to match the resolution of whatever picture source you want to watch - let's say VHS tape, although I doubt you have that any more - to that of your TV. Your TV will have exactly the same capability: if it didn't, it would display lower resolution signals, such as DVD, on only a small portion of its overall screen area.

The idea behind including a scaler in the Onkyo is that potentially, your receiver's scaler might deliver better quality that that built into to your TV - and it might also help simplify your wiring.

Now: is the Onkyo 605 worth spending the extra £150 over the 505? Hell yes. It'll handle high-def surround audio, as sent by Blu-ray and HD DVD discs. In your system, that means your PS3 will really start to sing.

True, it won't, as yet, deliver every available form of HD audio (Dolby TrueHD and so forth) but it's apparently upgradeable to do the job, pending a suitable firmware upgrade from Sony. In the meantime, it'll merrily deliver uncompressed PCM surround sound from suitable Blu-ray discs, and that, take it from me, is a good thing - sonically, it's like you've just injected about a grand into your sound system.

However, to be ultra-clear, the Onkyo 505 won't cope with it, while the 605 will, so given you own a PS3, you must - that's MUST - find that extra £150.

Now on to sound. Sky HD broadcasts in no more than 5.1 (and even then, it's not always applied). However, you can use any 6.1 or 7.1 amp to artificially generate more channels of surround audio from an incoming 5.1 signal, using its onboard digital signal processing (DSP), and yes, to allay your fears, you can set it so it will automatically carry this process out whatever the audio presented to it.

Is that worthwhile? If you've a large room, with sufficient space for multiple surround speakers, I'd say yes, because it generates a more spacious and convincing surround soundfield, but it's not a hard-and-fast rule.

Finally: no, you don't need a 'full HD' TV to get the best from Sky HD, or indeed from PS3/Blu-ray. What you need is a really, really good TV. There's not a lot wrong with the Samsung you're considering, but do try to find the time to look at Pioneer's new Kuro range too. You'll be impressed, believe me.

Oh, and finally: for all video connections - HDMI is it. And if you go for the Onkyo 605, don't forget HDMI will be handling both video AND audio, at least from your PS3.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Kerr"]Ok, deep breath. Let's start with your upscaling query. That refers to video, not audio. It serves to match the resolution of whatever picture source you want to watch - let's say VHS tape, although I doubt you have that any more - to that of your TV. Your TV will have exactly the same capability: if it didn't, it would display lower resolution signals, such as DVD, on only a small portion of its overall screen area. The idea behind including a scaler in the Onkyo is that potentially, your receiver's scaler might deliver better quality that that built into to your TV - and it might also help simplify your wiring. Now: is the Onkyo 605 worth spending the extra £150 over the 505? Hell yes. It'll handle high-def surround audio, as sent by Blu-ray and HD DVD discs. In your system, that means your PS3 will really start to sing. True, it won't, as yet, deliver every available form of HD audio (Dolby TrueHD and so forth) but it's apparently upgradeable to do the job, pending a suitable firmware upgrade from Sony. In the meantime, it'll merrily deliver uncompressed PCM surround sound from suitable Blu-ray discs, and that, take it from me, is a good thing - sonically, it's like you've just injected about a grand into your sound system. However, to be ultra-clear, the Onkyo 505 won't cope with it, while the 605 will, so given you own a PS3, you must - that's MUST - find that extra £150. Now on to sound. Sky HD broadcasts in no more than 5.1 (and even then, it's not always applied). However, you can use any 6.1 or 7.1 amp to artificially generate more channels of surround audio from an incoming 5.1 signal, using its onboard digital signal processing (DSP), and yes, to allay your fears, you can set it so it will automatically carry this process out whatever the audio presented to it. Is that worthwhile? If you've a large room, with sufficient space for multiple surround speakers, I'd say yes, because it generates a more spacious and convincing surround soundfield, but it's not a hard-and-fast rule. Finally: no, you don't need a 'full HD' TV to get the best from Sky HD, or indeed from PS3/Blu-ray. What you need is a really, really good TV. There's not a lot wrong with the Samsung you're considering, but do try to find the time to look at Pioneer's new Kuro range too. You'll be impressed, believe me. Oh, and finally: for all video connections - HDMI is it. And if you go for the Onkyo 605, don't forget HDMI will be handling both video AND audio, at least from your PS3.[/quote]

I concur.

(except I would have used paragraphs
emotion-5.gif
)

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks for the great advice, decision made the 605 it is, you made it simple. Just a couple of question, i have read that a number of amps are not compatible with sky HD as they cut out. Apparently sky have a list of none compliant amps.£ Does anybody know if the 605 has problems with sky and / or where i can get hold of the list?£ I think the 50" may be slightly to big purely in terms of overpowering the rooms it's in. The pioneer 42" have a great write up so I will take a look at the Kuro range, are there any other options for around the £1500 mark.Many thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts