System For Late Night Listening

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Rob G said:
Al ears said:

You spent £8K blind?! I like you RobG. I like you a lot.

LOL thank you, but I do have it on home approval.... But I highly doubt it will be going back.

Now the hard part is explaing to my partner why she ain' ggetting a new car next year....

Best of luck ;-)

[/quote]

Well still alive, must say my good lady has taken it rather well. BUT she knows I am rather impulsive!

She has mentioned though that when we get a new car it has to be nicer than what we where considering.

[/quote]

Oh dear. Return hifi immediately.... :)

...then buy the cheaper car and get the hifi back in next year... ;-)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Rob G said:
Al ears said:

LOL thank you, but I do have it on home approval.... But I highly doubt it will be going back.

Now the hard part is explaing to my partner why she ain' ggetting a new car next year....

Best of luck ;-)

Well still alive, must say my good lady has taken it rather well. BUT she knows I am rather impulsive!

She has mentioned though that when we get a new car it has to be nicer than what we where considering.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wise words. Wise words.

Gazzip said:
Al ears said:
Rob G said:
Al ears said:

Best of luck ;-)

[/quote]

Wise words. Wise words.

[/quote]

I thank you... more than one way to skin a rabbit... so to speak.

The new system has arrived today. Have just set it up and I know for sure the speakers are staying ( my partner has fallen in love with the looks without even hearing them lol).

She has also commented on how well made the Amp & CD player seem to be put together. (her father was an engineer so she apprcitates that sort of thing)

Will report back in a few days with my thoughts.

Ha ha too excited to write more now, going to listen first to Tino Dico, Whispers.

Rob G said:
The new system has arrived today. Have just set it up and I know for sure the speakers are staying ( my partner has fallen in love with the looks without even hearing them lol).

She has also commented on how well made the Amp & CD player seem to be put together. (her father was an engineer so she apprcitates that sort of thing)

Ha ha too excited to write more now, going to listen first to Tino Dico, Whispers.
I hope you are delighted, as it has great potential. I suspect the speakers will repay careful setting up and maybe some tweaking of position. They look wonderful though. Good luck!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Rob G said:

Excellent! good choice of music too... her vocals will sound sublime.

Here's looking forward to your thoughts.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Well Gentlemen, I am impressed by the system., but I have some reservations about the Amplifier and CD player. The speakers are superb and looks like gorgeous. My reservations concern the bass and treble. The midrange is absolutely stunning. Big and bold and so natural. It' like having a private performance in my room by the artist I am listening too. I just find the bass a little lacking in texture and I find the treble a little thin. Don't get me wrong it' llovely to listen too and boy can it get your foot tapping and as a system I can listen too for hours on end but I have a nagging doubt it maybe can be betterd.

I have time to let things settle in before I can send it back, but I have the chance next week to audition a Unison Research Sinfonia Amplifier, I will be taking my speakers with me. I am curious as to the difference valves will make.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What speaker stands are you using?

Are they filled and if so, with what?

Are the speakers Blu-Tak'd to the top?

What sort of floor have you got (carpet/tile/laminate/concrete etc) and is it a suspended wooden one?

Do the speakers have room to breathe and are they toed in?

It is possible some tweaks could make a difference.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Rob G said:
Well Gentlemen, I am impressed by the system., but I have some reservations about the Amplifier and CD player. The speakers are superb and looks like gorgeous. My reservations concern the bass and treble. The midrange is absolutely stunning. Big and bold and so natural. It' like having a private performance in my room by the artist I am listening too. I just find the bass a little lacking in texture and I find the treble a little thin. Don't get me wrong it' llovely to listen too and boy can it get your foot tapping and as a system I can listen too for hours on end but I have a nagging doubt it maybe can be betterd.

I have time to let things settle in before I can send it back, but I have the chance next week to audition a Unison Research Sinfonia Amplifier, I will be taking my speakers with me. I am curious as to the difference valves will make.

You have just described the sound signature of a Sugden class A amplifier imo. *smile*

I find Sugden amps just as you describe even the ones far higher up the range.

Try the Unison amp and compare.

You could also try moving the speakers about to gain a little wall reinforcement.

CnoEvil said:
What speaker stands are you using?

Are they filled and if so, with what?

Are the speakers Blu-Tak'd to the top?

What sort of floor have you got (carpet/tile/laminate/concrete etc) and is it a suspended wooden one?

Do the speakers have room to breathe and are they toed in?

It is possible some tweaks could make a difference.

Speakers are currently on a cheap pair of stands, tomorrow a pair of partington super dreadnoughts arrive along some new speaker and RCA cables and a mains block. I am hoping these make a difference.

Floor is concrete with laminate and speakers are from the rear wal a not in corners slightly toed in.

Don' get me wrong it' aa lovely system I just want to make sure I have made a good purchase. And I really hope improving the ancillaries makes a difference.

Electro said:
Rob G said:

You have just described the sound signature of a Sugden class A amplifier imo. *smile*

I find Sugden amps just as you describe even the ones far higher up the range.

Try the Unison amp and compare.

You could also try moving the speakers about to gain a little wall reinforcement.

HI Electro

I have moved the Speakers so often that at times it felt like I was dancing with them.

But it does make a difference.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Rob G said:
Speakers are currently on a cheap pair of stands, tomorrow a pair of partington super dreadnoughts arrive along some new speaker and RCA cables and a mains block. I am hoping these make a difference.

Floor is concrete with laminate and speakers are from the rear wal a not in corners slightly toed in.

Don' get me wrong it' aa lovely system I just want to make sure I have made a good purchase. And I really hope improving the ancillaries makes a difference.

Speaker stands can make a big difference, especially with the bass. Partingtons are heavy, so try filling them with rice, for damping vibrations.

IMO. Use good copper cables - I like Linn K20/Linn Black or Silver (which are copper). Avoid silver coated, as it could make your problem worse.

Laminate can screw up the sound, much in the way you describe - A large rug between you and the speakers can help here.

It's contrversial, but I think a mains cable is always worth trying, especially on the Amp - I like the Copper Line / Copper Line Alpha from Clearer Audio...which you can have for a 60 day trial.

Mains Blocks, if star wired and no conditioning, are also worth trying.

What brands of cables and mains blocks are you using?

CnoEvil said:
Rob G said:

Speaker stands can make a big difference, especially with the bass. Partingtons are heavy, so try filling them with rice, for damping vibrations.

IMO. Use good copper cables - I like Linn K20/Linn Black or Silver (which are copper). Avoid silver coated, as it could make your problem worse.

Laminate can screw up the sound, much in the way you describe - A large rug between you and the speakers can help here.

It's contrversial, but I think a mains cable is always worth trying, especially on the Amp - I like the Copper Line / Copper Line Alpha from Clearer Audio...which you can have for a 60 day trial.

Mains Blocks, if star wired and no conditioning, are also worth trying.

What brands of cables and mains blocks are you using?

Hi CnoEvil

Thanks for the advice.

Have a big rug on the floor.

I will be using Atlas EOS 4dd power cords to CD & Amp. Speaker cable is Atlas Hyper 3.5 and EOS modular 4.0 power block.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Rob G said:
Hi CnoEvil

Thanks for the advice.

I will be using Atlas EOS 4dd power cords to CD & Amp. Speaker cable is Atlas Hyper 3.5 and EOS modular 4.0 power block.

I don't think you need my advice, as you seem to have everything under control. Atlas make solid stuff.

Please report back on how it all sounds.

Remember, if it still isn't right, it could be the speakers.....so Proac are worth a shot, if available. My dealer tried out some Opera (small standmounts) and felt they lacked cohesion. I can't confirm, as I didn't hear them. I have always heard good things about them.

CnoEvil said:
Rob G said:
Hi CnoEvil

Thanks for the advice.

I don't think you need my advice, as you seem to have everything under control. Atlas make solid stuff.

Please report back on how it all sounds.

Remember, if it still isn't right, it could be the speakers.....so Proac are worth a shot, if available. My dealer tried out some Opera (small standmounts) and felt they lacked cohesion. I can't confirm, as I didn't hear them. I have always heard good things about them.

I really hope it's not the speakers as they have to stay!

I will be happy if the ancillaries bring everything together as the midrange on this system is fantastic.

Really appreciate your suggestions CnoEvil ( Everybody else too)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Rob G said:

I used to have the Sugden Masterclass IA-4 and sadly I had to change it as it couldn't grip the base of my then Harbeth SHL5 speakers, but the treble was spot on

If the change in cables don't have the desired affect, I would look at the source... from memory, the Fusion was never that well received.

Good luck.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
as per ANY speaker will need some run-in time so I'd account for that before this turns into another one of those horror stories we sometimes read about.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Rob G said:

My guess is that you’ll love the Sinphonia. I had it’s smaller brother the Preludio many years ago. Midband was beautiful and the little amp had plenty of guts for only 14 Watts. I swapped the KT88’s out for new KT120’s and the bass improved considerably. The sound was very three dimensional and lush. The Preamp tubes can alter the sonic signature quite a bit with these amps and it’s fun to experiment with different makes of the 12au7’s it uses. I bought some NOS Siemens silverplates some years ago when they were cheap and they’re my current favourite in my Unison Research S8. I found that NOS Mazda 12au7’s have great bass response and are worth hunting for on Fleabay. NOS Mullard and Brimar tubes are nice and warm sounding, whilst Telefunken and Siemens are more neutral but still have the ability to give you goosebumps with vocals and small chamber music. None of the valve amps I’ve had over the years has ever made a sound that made me wince, unlike some SS amps I could mention.

I believe you’re in for a treat.

Enjoy!

Well System is fully working and wired with Atlas Cables throughout and speakers are sitting atop the Partington Super Dreadnoughts.

My partner and myself listened yesterday evening till nearly 5am this morning and I can safely say that any reservations that I had about the sugden Amp/CD combo has melted away.

After installing the new cables and stands that midrange has become bigger and bolder, 3Dsoundstage has increased and seperation has also increased..

The bass has gained a lot more texture and the treble is more silky, with more air.

My partner was in tears listening to Alison Krauss, Whiskey Lullaby. She couldn't believe how realistic everything sounded.

It must have been in the early hours of the morning that my partner made the remark, I really have never seen you gain so much pleasure from listening to music.

I am absolutely delighted and finally after a lot of years I am actually deeply touched by listening to music.

Regarding the audition of the Unison Research amplifier, I am not going to bother. I am truly happy and content with my system. I do not need/want to know what else is on offer to me. I am enjoying my music too much and that is why I bought a new system, for the pleasure of listening not for analysis. This combination just involves me in the music and conveys the emotion of the artist and musicians. What more could I desire.

One thing that may be added in future is a turntable, but first we are going to enjoy our CD collection. We both have a small vinyl collection and we both would like to explore that avenue.

By the way, my partner has told me that a new car would never have brought so much pleasure. I seem to have a good woman!

Would like to thank you all for taking the time to reply and suggestions, even if I went my own way and ignored common sense..... It seems to have worked out ok *biggrin*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Rob G said:
Well System is fully working and wired with Atlas Cables throughout and speakers are sitting atop the Partington Super Dreadnoughts.

My partner and myself listened yesterday evening till nearly 5am this morning and I can safely say that any reservations that I had about the sugden Amp/CD combo has melted away.

After installing the new cables and stands that midrange has become bigger and bolder, 3Dsoundstage has increased and seperation has also increased..

The bass has gained a lot more texture and the treble is more silky, with more air.

My partner was in tears listening to Alison Krauss, Whiskey Lullaby. She couldn't believe how realistic everything sounded.

It must have been in the early hours of the morning that my partner made the remark, I really have never seen you gain so much pleasure from listening to music.

I am absolutely delighted and finally after a lot of years I am actually deeply touched by listening to music.

Regarding the audition of the Unison Research amplifier, I am not going to bother. I am truly happy and content with my system. I do not need/want to know what else is on offer to me. I am enjoying my music too much and that is why I bought a new system, for the pleasure of listening not for analysis. This combination just involves me in the music and conveys the emotion of the artist and musicians. What more could I desire.

One thing that may be added in future is a turntable, but first we are going to enjoy our CD collection. We both have a small vinyl collection and we both would like to explore that avenue.

By the way, my partner has told me that a new car would never have brought so much pleasure. I seem to have a good woman!

Would like to thank you all for taking the time to reply and suggestions, even if I went my own way and ignored common sense..... It seems to have worked out ok *biggrin*

Hey! that's great news and I like your girlfriend's taste in music...

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wrdpress.com

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Rob G said:

I had a feeling...

....and that's how a well chosen (and set up} hifi should make you feel.

Enjoy. *music2* *yahoo*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts