System For Late Night Listening

Hi forum members.

I am hoping you can give me some advice on choosing a new system.I used to have a nice system 10 years ago. Unfortunately since then I have been using an AV amp and a set of stereo speakers. It's been OK but it's not really involving me in music.the system I had before was I consider quite powerful, comprised a NAD SILVERLINE Preamplifier, 2 NAD SILVERLINE Power amplifiers a Musical Fidelity XRay V3 CD player and a pair of Castle Harlech 2 Speakers. ( I now need the complete opposite) I sold it due to emigration. Now I live in an apartment with not so thick walls and I am looking for a new system that is revealing and dynamic at low volumes, would be grateful for suggestions. Source needed is cd player and for speaker's I would rather have standmounts.... Amplifier valve or solidstate.

Rob G said:
Hi forum members.

I am hoping you can give me some advice on choosing a new system.I used to have a nice system 10 years ago. Unfortunately since then I have been using an AV amp and a set of stereo speakers. It's been OK but it's not really involving me in music.the system I had before was I consider quite powerful, comprised a NAD SILVERLINE Preamplifier, 2 NAD SILVERLINE Power amplifiers a Musical Fidelity XRay V3 CD player and a pair of Castle Harlech 2 Speakers. ( I now need the complete opposite) I sold it due to emigration. Now I live in an apartment with not so thick walls and I am looking for a new system that is revealing and dynamic at low volumes, would be grateful for suggestions. Source needed is cd player and for speaker's I would rather have standmounts.... Amplifier valve or solidstate.

And what is your budget?

Thought about Headphones?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Something with valves perhaps? Good bass and micro dynamics at even very low volumes?

I am in a similar position as much of my listening is at low volume. Currently using a Cyrus/ProAc or Mission system which sounds full and dynamic even quietly but now looking at AE1actives to keep small form factor.

drummerman said:
Something with valves perhaps? Good bass and micro dynamics at even very low volumes?

I am in a similar position as much of my listening is at low volume. Currently using a Cyrus/ProAc or Mission system which sounds full and dynamic even quietly but now looking at AE1actives to keep small form factor.

Valves actually appeal to me.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Maybe consider something with tone controls, this can help with low level listening. Although very unfashionable these days they have there uses, on my Linn Classik all in one system that I use as a bedside system nowadays I find it sounds much more enjoyable with the bass cranked up a wee bit.

So on that note how about the Creek Evolution 100A amp - should also sound relatively warm which will also help at low volumes ......

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
When you're asking for something quiet not too disturb the neighbours then any good bookshelf speaker with good imaging and soundstage will suffice - it is hard to recommend speakers that you have not heard yourself. If you do not mind the neighbours then a floorstander with at least more than 6" woofer and high sensitivity above 92dB.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a PMC salesman on this forum you could do a lot worse than a second hand pair of their standmount speakers. Second hand because of budget. Their transmission line design provides great low frequency reproduction at low volumes. Funnily enough I have recently put together a system with exactly your brief and ended up going for a pair of PMC babies.

rainsoothe

Gazzip said:
At the risk of sounding like a PMC salesman on this forum you could do a lot worse than a second hand pair of their standmount speakers. Second hand because of budget. Their transmission line design provides great low frequency reproduction at low volumes. Funnily enough I have recently put together a system with exactly your brief and ended up going for a pair of PMC babies. 

Indeed, PMC are great for op's requirements. PMC db1i or db1 gold (which is the same model) or 20.21 / 20.22. Martin Logan Motion 15 would also be perfect, and B&W PM1 are also worth investigating (can only find these used though and, as far as I know, they absolutely need their dedicated stands).

Too tired to think of amplification options, will try tomorrow, sorry.

I will concur with the previous two posts.....pmc with the transmission line does lend itself well to low level listening despite what the whf reviews of the twenty 21's of yesteryear say......but.....they need a wall behind them to perform to the best of their abilities.I do listen late at night quite often and they perform well but lower listening levels can't quite create much in the way of dynamics.

Oh..Gazzip,which baby monitors did you plump for in your second system?...I know you've tried the "active" route to no avail and I have been waiting to see what you would eventually settle for...as your main system is formidable and a second system has much to live up to.lol.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I will concur with the previous two posts.....pmc with the transmission line does lend itself well to low level listening despite what the whf reviews of the twenty 21's of yesteryear say......but.....they need a wall behind them to perform to the best of their abilities.I do listen late at night quite often and they perform well but lower listening levels can't quite create much in the way of dynamics.

Oh..Gazzip,which baby monitors did you plump for in your second system?...I know you've tried the "active" route to no avail  and I have been waiting to see what you would eventually settle for...as your main system is formidable and a second system has much to live up to.lol.

He tried ls50w
Fyi: that does not.cover the entire spectrum of actives I'm afraid

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I know he tried the kefs.....OK....he (Gazzip)dabbled with the active route if that is satisfactory to you Andrew......God why are people on this forum so defensive of active speakers.

I went for PMC Twenty5 22's in the end. Using them with a Roksan Caspian M2 at the mo and a Chord 2Qute and it sounds brilliant. One of those it cliked straight away moments.

I think people are defensive of their actives because active crossovers and direct driver amplification is fundamentally better by design than the passive approach. Passive crossovers convert a lot of the amplifier power to heat, and LF drivers tend to borrow power from the other driver(s) leading passives to portray a less dynamic, less controlled sound... on paper.

As we are constantly reminded, ironically by many of the same people who make up the "active brigade", measurably better doesn't always mean audibly better. I don't think they like it very much when that principle is applied back to their own belief system.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I know he tried the kefs.....OK....he (Gazzip)dabbled with the active route if that is satisfactory to you Andrew......God why are people on this forum so defensive of active speakers.

Just sticking you.to the facts
If you like driving your car with the boot full of bricks that's your business

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

I went for PMC Twenty5 22's in the end. Using them with a Roksan Caspian M2 at the mo and a Chord 2Qute and it sounds brilliant. One of those it cliked straight away moments.

I think people are defensive of their actives because active crossovers and direct driver amplification is fundamentally better by design than the passive approach. Passive crossovers convert a lot of the amplifier power to heat, and LF drivers tend to borrow power from the other driver(s) leading passives to portray a less dynamic, less controlled sound... on paper.

As we are constantly reminded, ironically by many of the same people who make up the "active brigade", measurably better doesn't always mean audibly better. I don't think they like it very much when that principle is applied back to their own belief system.

Total cost
PMC 5 22: £2450
Roksan amp: £1500
Chord 2 quite: £995
Total: £4945

PMC twotwo6 £4440
Far superior amplifiers (bi amp X 4)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

I think people are defensive of their actives because active crossovers and direct driver amplification is fundamentally better by design than the passive approach. Passive crossovers convert a lot of the amplifier power to heat, and LF drivers tend to borrow power from the other driver(s) leading passives to portray a less dynamic, less controlled sound... on paper.

As we are constantly reminded, ironically by many of the same people who make up the "active brigade", measurably better doesn't always mean audibly better. I don't think they like it very much when that principle is applied back to their own belief system.

Total cost PMC 5 22: £2450 Roksan amp: £1500 Chord 2 quite: £995 Total: £4945

PMC twotwo6 £4440 Far superior amplifiers (bi amp X 4)

PMC's - £1750 (Ex-Demo) - Condition Perfect.

Roksan - £900 (2nd Hand) - Condition Perfect and Manufacturer Serviced.

2Qute - £995 (new) you got me there.

Total £3645 - Less £1100 trade in = £2545 paid... actually.

Notwithstanding the fact that they are blue and have to live in my nice lounge, I am nearly £2K short on budget. Also in my experience Class D amplification is just not good at low levels, so not really fullfilling my brief at all.

Also, have you asked yourself why PMC don't make these in a nice veneer and sell them in to the domestic hifi market? Perhaps there is a reason for that.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Notwithstanding the fact that they are blue and have to live in my nice lounge, I am nearly £2K short on budget. Also in my experience Class D amplification is just not good at low levels, so not really fullfilling my brief at all.

Also, have you asked yourself why PMC don't make these in a nice veneer and sell them in to the domestic hifi market? Perhaps there is a reason for that.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

I think people are defensive of their actives because active crossovers and direct driver amplification is fundamentally better by design than the passive approach. Passive crossovers convert a lot of the amplifier power to heat, and LF drivers tend to borrow power from the other driver(s) leading passives to portray a less dynamic, less controlled sound... on paper.

As we are constantly reminded, ironically by many of the same people who make up the "active brigade", measurably better doesn't always mean audibly better. I don't think they like it very much when that principle is applied back to their own belief system.

Notwithstanding the fact that they are blue and have to live in my nice lounge, I am nearly £2K short on budget. Also in my experience Class D amplification is just not good at low levels, so not really fullfilling my brief at all.

Just saw the result 6 £2340 all in - but you.still need a preamp/source

Ja they look kak compared to the posh hifi equivalent.

I'm just playing devil's advocate

I wonder how they compare sonically?

I'm sure what you have sounds excellent. (Better than most peoples main system)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Another one here for a used PMC speaker probably the TB2.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PMC-TB2-Main-Stereo-Speakers-rare-rose-colour-New-RRP-1500/292268563058?hash=item440c905a72:g:UucAAOSwFuxZyQg5

Add one of these amps, do not be put off by the 50 wpc into 8 ohms it also delivers 50 amps peak current !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrocompaniet-Prelude-Pl-1-integrated-amp-with-remote-control/263288549770?hash=item3d4d38718a:g:EqsAAOSwgkxZ3Qde

Then add one of these or similar .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRIMARE-CD31-CD-Player-with-remote-control/311978960839?epid=1423269426&hash=item48a36527c7:g:vv0AAOSw705Z32yg

This is the sort of system I would buy with your budget and requirements, it will sound very natural and balanced at low volumes and just as good at higher spls imo. *smile*

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it's very much appreciated. I know I need to audition some equipment before buying and you guys have given me some wonderful ideas.I think my budget is not so great at the present time as to facilitate what I first mentioned.I wonder if I would be better just buying an amp and cd player for now and adding speakers later. I do have speakers now floorstanders Boston Acoustics a250 which are oke but need to be played loud otherwise they sound lifeless.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Rob G said:
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it's very much appreciated. I know I need to audition some equipment before buying and you guys have given me some wonderful ideas.I think my budget is not so great at the present time as to facilitate what I first mentioned.I wonder if I would be better just buying an amp and cd player for now and adding speakers later. I do have speakers now floorstanders Boston Acoustics a250 which are oke but need to be played loud otherwise they sound lifeless.

If I were you I would buy speakers like the PMC's I linked to first, they are quite efficient at 90db 1w 1m and a fairly easy load, a small amplifier with be good enough for low volume listening at which the PMC's excel.

An expanation of how and why PMC speakers are so good at low volumes .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=683FoCDilOE

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Rob G said:
drummerman said:

Valves actually appeal to me.

Once bitten by the magic of Valves, it’s very difficult to let go. I’d look for a good second hand Unison Research Preludio that uses KT88 power Valves. After that you could work up to an Amp that uses the slightly scary but powerful and beautiful sounding 845’s and bask in the glow.... Along with Unison Research, Icon Audio do some excellent Valve Amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts