System For Late Night Listening

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Electro said:
Rob G said:
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it's very much appreciated. I know I need to audition some equipment before buying and you guys have given me some wonderful ideas.I think my budget is not so great at the present time as to facilitate what I first mentioned.I wonder if I would be better just buying an amp and cd player for now and adding speakers later. I do have speakers now floorstanders Boston Acoustics a250 which are oke but need to be played loud otherwise they sound lifeless.

If I were you I would buy speakers like the PMC's I linked to first, they are quite efficient at 90db 1w 1m and a fairly easy load, a small amplifier with be good enough for low volume listening at which the PMC's excel.

An expanation of how and why PMC speakers are so good at low volumes .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=683FoCDilOE

Thank you Electro, very interesting. I think I will probably try a pair of PMC, secondhand. If I don't like them I can move them on without a huge loss. Will probably go the secondhand route for amplifier and cd player as well. I always liked Musical Fidelity gear so going to look at that.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Should you prefer to buy new and given your requirement for listening at low-ish levels, maybe you should take a look at the very pretty Quad VA-One.

quad_va-one_side.jpg

One of these plus, say, a Cambridge CXC CD transport is within budget if you use your existing speakers to start.

Add better speakers down the line, try and get a sensitivity of 90dB or better.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Should you prefer to buy new and given your requirement for listening at low-ish levels, maybe you should take a look at the very pretty Quad VA-One.

One of these plus, say, a Cambridge CXC CD transport is within budget if you use your existing speakers to start.

This little amplifier has fascinated me since I first laid eyes on it. Have you heard it DDC and if so then what speakers was it driving? I see it has a power output of only 2 x 12W RMS (8Ω). Did it sound like it was running out of puff?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
This Synthesis Flame could be another good option. Free shipping in the Netherlands; can’t be too expensive to have it shipped to Belgium. Comes with a 6 month dealer warranty (not a luxury for a SH valve amp IMO). To be combined with easy to drive speakers, as you might have guessed...

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
This Synthesis Flame could be another good option. Free shipping in the Netherlands; can’t be too expensive to have it shipped to Belgium. Comes with a 6 month dealer warranty (not a luxury for a SH valve amp IMO). To be combined with easy to drive speakers, as you might have guessed...

Im sure it sounds great DocG, but it looks like something I might have made in CDT when I was 12. Maybe it’s better in the flesh and the photographs don’t do it justice...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:

This little amplifier has fascinated me since I first laid eyes on it. Have you heard it DDC and if so then what speakers was it driving? I see it has a power output of only 2 x 12W RMS (8Ω). Did it sound like it was running out of puff?

I bought my first EL84 based amp back in the 60's and have owned and played with several more since. It is a fairly neutral valve, lacking the euphony of more illustrious models, but that is no bad thing, so if the design is compedent, it will sound pretty good.

A rather long winded way of saying that I have not actually heard the VA-One but the power should be ample for the OP's requirement.

Probably not for headbangers or power hungry ATCs, but with sensible speakers it should be pretty good. I do like speakers with ribbon tweeters, they project well at low levels, so that is what I personally would look for.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I'd agree with electro here. In my opinion the speakers deliver the largest difference in sound per pound. So best to upgrade to the best speakers that you like. And then when budget permits, you can upgrade the amp and the cd player in that sequence. If you get the amp first, you will be limited to the speakers that it can drive comfortably. And that would really narrow down your options.

davedotco said:
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:

I bought my first EL84 based amp back in the 60's and have owned and played with several more since. It is a fairly neutral valve, lacking the euphony of more illustrious models, but that is no bad thing, so if the design is compedent, it will sound pretty good.

A rather long winded way of saying that I have not actually heard the VA-One but the power should be ample for the OP's requirement.

Probably not for headbangers or power hungry ATCs, but with sensible speakers it should be pretty good. I do like speakers with ribbon tweeters, they project well at low levels, so that is what I personally would look for.

As DDC says it may only be 12watts but I have heard a 10 watt amp with suitably efficient speakers and that was perfectly adequate. Efficient speakers should also be a requirement for late night listening if headphones are out of the equation. Some like the AN AX2 would go load enough with the Quad amp.

Thank you gentlemen for your advice, it got me thinking that my budget was not enough for what I was after so the new car fund has been splurged orderd a new system today arrives next week Sugden A21 signature Intergrated and Sugden Fusion 21 Cd player and opera Callas speakers. Heard the brands years ago and liked them so I hope it works out. Should hopefully fit my needs. Super excited and now just need to sort out some speaker stands.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Rob G said:
Thank you gentlemen for your advice, it got me thinking that my budget was not enough for what I was after so the new car fund has been splurged orderd a new system today arrives next week Sugden A21 signature Intergrated and Sugden Fusion 21 Cd player and opera Callas speakers. Heard the brands years ago and liked them so I hope it works out. Should hopefully fit my needs. Super excited and now just need to sort out some speaker stands.

Excellent choice of amp and heard good things aboutthe speakers.

Make sure and come back with your thoughts once the system has settled in.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Rob G said:

Can’t comment on the electronics (never heard Sugden stuff), but boy those are gorgeous speakers! Enjoy!

Macspur said:
Rob G said:

Excellent choice of amp and heard good things aboutthe speakers.

Make sure and come back with your thoughts once the system has settled in.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

I will let you all know my thoughts once I have listened to the system.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Rob G said:

You spent £8K blind?! I like you RobG. I like you a lot.

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL thank you, but I do have it on home approval.... But I highly doubt it will be going back.

Now the hard part is explaing to my partner why she ain' ggetting a new car next year....

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Rob G said:
Gazzip said:

LOL thank you, but I do have it on home approval.... But I highly doubt it will be going back.

Now the hard part is explaing to my partner why she ain' ggetting a new car next year....

Cars are far worse for global warming than some hifi stuff. Think of the planet and the future of your children!

DocG said:
Rob G said:
Gazzip said:

Cars are far worse for global warming than some hifi stuff. Think of the planet and the future of your children!

You are indeed correct.

Also the sugden is a dual purpose purchase.,musical enjoyment and a room heater for the winter lol.

Nothing to do with hifi, but this forum is a pig to post on.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Best of luck ;-)

Rob G said:
DocG said:
Rob G said:
Gazzip said:

You are indeed correct.

Also the sugden is a dual purpose purchase.,musical enjoyment and a room heater for the winter lol.

Nothing to do with hifi, but this forum is a pig to post on.

It's a very musical room-heater.... Enjoy!

Al ears said:

[/quote]

Best of luck ;-)

[/quote]

Well still alive, must say my good lady has taken it rather well. BUT she knows I am rather impulsive!

She has mentioned though that when we get a new car it has to be nicer than what we where considering.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts