System for garage?

dTb

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i'm looking to upgrade the system in my garage. I have a basic JBL 2.1 system on my desktop right now and listen to spotify and youtube music videos right now but it just doesnt fill the garage which is 515 sq ft. Height is 2m to 3m sloping roof, budget is around £250.

I just want something that will fill the garage. I can accomodate any size speaker so that s not a problem, they will either sit on desk or be wall mounted depending on size. I dont have an amp or anything like that as it just comes straight from pc.

I know budget isn't huge but would really like something that would fill this space please.

Many thanks.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a pair of Mackie MR5's for the same purpose which are spot on.

They are entry level speakers for the brand, but are very capable. If you wanted more punch you could go for the MR8's, but these are a large box and would need a bit of clearance from the wall. They've also just introduced MR6's which could be the compromise you need :clap:

dTb

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, i'd heard good things about the Epoz Aktimate Micro and maxi plus the audioengine 5+ as heard it would be better going with a set of powered speakers. Will have a look at your recommendation now thanks.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a set of active monitors could be just what you need. The Mackie's, as above would be ideal. You may also consider the Beringer Truths.

Just as a curve ball, the Audioengine A5+ are also an excellent speaker though I'm not completely certain they'll be room filling.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Best thing to do is find a local music store that stocks a variety of speakers within your budget range and get a demo. Your ears may choose something entirely different.

Just a word of warning, you will probably end up liking something twice the price so try to stick to your budget.

dTb

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
looking at specs and price it looks like the Mackies MR8 seem to be the winner right now. Anything else anyone thinks would give more volume or room filling sound for the money?
Definitely think active speakers are the way to go now.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mackie MR8s are just over £400 pr, at that sort of price there are options including similarly priced models from Presonus and Adam F series.

Keeping it around the £250 mark would give you a choice of the smaller model from Mackie, Presonus or the Yamaha HS5.

The Behringer models offer a lot for the money and are pretty popular though I have not listened to them with any real intent.

To really fill the space go for a bigger unit at around the £400 level.

TRENDING THREADS