SVS subwoofers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Anyone had experience with these?? the AV nuts seem to sing this companies praises and the prices for they're products are very competitive but I haven't seen any reviews or opinion in hi-fi circles. I wander how it compares to subs from the big hi-fi brands

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They only have one outlet store, so UK coverage is pretty poor. If they are so good, they'd have more UK coverage and higher sales along with it. There does seem to be a bunch of small regulars who recommend these to anyone who wants any type of sub, which is wrong to me seeing as everyone's room is different, and what one person wants from a sub isn't what everyone wants from a sub. Most of their subs are on the large side, which probably firmly places them in the market of those without a wife and huge rooms to fill.

A

Anonymous

go to www.av-sales.co.uk and have a look at what they have. They do sell more compact subs.

A

Anonymous

Sold by www.subsonicsounds.co.uk which is part of Kent AV.

They're pretty much an enthusiasts brand sold at factory prices. This means that even with the mark up for transport and taxes and Subsonic's profit they're still much much cheaper than the equivalent "High Street" brand. This probably upsets hi-fi retailers as it undermines their product ranges and inflated prices. (Apologies if that offends anyone). I'm a big fan of companies that really think of the consumer and are enthusiast led. How can anyone rail against that.

And Kent AV have the UK distribution deal. That's not unusual. SVS were selling direct from the factory for years and decided that it made more sense, and provided better customer service, if they linked up with a dedicated supplier in each market.

This is something to embrace. Not to find offensive. Ian at Subsonic Sounds is the nicest guy. I have an SVS PB13-Ultra on order. Very very excited at owning one of the best Subs in the world around Christmas time. (Now I have to take it very easy these next few months to save up for it! :)

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:Sold by www.subsonicsounds.co.uk which is part of Kent AV.

They're pretty much an enthusiasts brand sold at factory prices. This means that even with the mark up for transport and taxes and Subsonic's profit they're still much much cheaper than the equivalent "High Street" brand. This probably upsets hi-fi retailers as it undermines their product ranges and inflated prices. (Apologies if that offends anyone). I'm a big fan of companies that really think of the consumer and are enthusiast led. How can anyone rail against that.

And Kent AV have the UK distribution deal. That's not unusual. SVS were selling direct from the factory for years and decided that it made more sense, and provided better customer service, if they linked up with a dedicated supplier in each market.

This is something to embrace. Not to find offensive. Ian at Subsonic Sounds is the nicest guy. I have an SVS PB13-Ultra on order. Very very excited at owning one of the best Subs in the world around Christmas time. (Now I have to take it very easy these next few months to save up for it! :)

Nicely put Will. Subs by SVS and also BK would seem to be the choice of the discerning audiophile (who's not made of £)

A

Anonymous

Drummerdave:

Nicely put Will. Subs by SVS and also BK would seem to be the choice of the discerning audiophile (who's not made of £)

Thanks Dave, now why don't What Hi-Fi test these makes? BK produce subs up to £450 for their most expensive "Monolith". SVS go up to £1300 which means both these makes are plumb in the middle of the price ranges that What Hi-Fi covers. But no reviews.

Andrew, Clare and all, I'd happily loan you mine when it arrives. But why don't you have a word with Ian at Subsonic Sounds the UK distributer for SVS and get a couple in to test. Tom at BK in Southend was also lovely and I'm sure they'd love to see their hard work rewarded with a review.

A

Anonymous

I agree BK and SVS make great subs and generally much better value that the high st brands! ive owned a couple of highly rated MJ subs a Pro 50 mk1 and then a ref 200! and their quite frankly outclassed by BK ans SVS products in the same price range. i speak from experiance :)

A

Anonymous

So if there is such a consensus, how to we persuade the What Hi-Fi crew of their merits? I've never felt that they warm to brands that are out of the mainstream or in particular those that show up the huge gulf in value presented by the main brands against the direct brands. There is an industry of middle men to support and I sometimes feel that they get preferential treatment over the end user.

Or am I just an old cynic?

A

Anonymous

How many people in this thread have actually heard an SVS sub? Most of what is talked about is spread by forums, and as Andrew says, you can't trust forums (well, he said it in a roundabout way). Everyone seems to be under some illusion that SVS are sold at mcu lower prices because they are sold by the distributor in this country. All that means is the distributor is making two mark ups. I've seen some of their products selling on ebay, and they were being sold at half the price of the rrp in this country, including delivery, which isn't cheap. So the mark up isn't a small one. They're made much cheaper than you think.

SVS are all about brute force, but with brute force comes a lack of finesse, unless much more money is thrown at the product. Funny, I know an American guy who has been in retail for over 20 years, and he never heard of SVS until this week......

Having said all that, I'd like to hear one or two and see what the fuss is about. Personally I think it's a little bit of hype built up by forums, but we'll see.

These are my personal opinions, before anyone starts shouting the usual.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:So if there is such a consensus, how to we persuade the What Hi-Fi crew of their merits? I've never felt that they warm to brands that are out of the mainstream or in particular those that show up the huge gulf in value presented by the main brands against the direct brands. There is an industry of middle men to support and I sometimes feel that they get preferential treatment over the end user.

Or am I just an old cynic?

Yes, an old cynic. No protectionism going on, and we're open to any products with sufficient distribution - it's just that we have a constant struggle to fit all the equipment we have for review into the pages of the magazine, and so those companies who stick their head above the parapet and offer equipment for review tend to get reviewed, whereas those who tend not to submit equipment for review can, unfortunately, get overlooked.

But I will alert the review team to this thread and see what happens.

A

Anonymous

Wow. I'm dumping my cynicism and becoming a reformed character! ;-)

A

Anonymous

4LKN4:How many people in this thread have actually heard an SVS sub? Most of what is talked about is spread by forums, and as Andrew says, you can't trust forums (well, he said it in a roundabout way). Everyone seems to be under some illusion that SVS are sold at mcu lower prices because they are sold by the distributor in this country. All that means is the distributor is making two mark ups. I've seen some of their products selling on ebay, and they were being sold at half the price of the rrp in this country, including delivery, which isn't cheap. So the mark up isn't a small one. They're made much cheaper than you think.

SVS are all about brute force, but with brute force comes a lack of finesse, unless much more money is thrown at the product. Funny, I know an American guy who has been in retail for over 20 years, and he never heard of SVS until this week......

Having said all that, I'd like to hear one or two and see what the fuss is about. Personally I think it's a little bit of hype built up by forums, but we'll see.

These are my personal opinions, before anyone starts shouting the usual.

Have you ever heard an svs sub?

Also a note BK and SVS subs have been reviewd elsewere by the british HI FI press and one reviewer said of an SVS sub it was the best sub he had ever heard regardless of cost!

A

Anonymous

Easy chaps. Lets get some in to be reviewed. that's the whole point of What Hi-Fi being independant. I actually trust their results and opinion. Why else would we all be on here?

In the meantime, lets encourage rather than slag off. After all, if you haven't heard one of their subs you can't know how they sound. I haven't but I have read a lot of positives which makes me want an independant opinion. I'm interested. That should mean a whole lot of other people would be interested too.

A

Anonymous

I wasnt being funny or owt! i was just pointing out that if youve never seen or heard a product it's going to be quite difficult to have a rounded and well judged opinion on them that's all!

Remind's me of the spanish enfanta's eyes scetch on black adder that someone else brought on these forums a while ago!

V funny

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Will Harris:Easy chaps. Lets get some in to be reviewed.

OK then, off y'go...

And he's off........

I've spoken to Ian at Subsonic Sounds the UK distributor for SVS and e-mailed him this thread and how to get onto What Hi-Fi. They're short of samples as like the rest of the world they'll be waiting for a delivery of the new SVS PB12+ when the first ones come off the line and hit a container to the UK. The top of the line PB13-Ultra should be available sooner, but I'll let them work that out with you guys. They actually do have them in stock.

At BK I've spoken to Tom and e-mailed him as well. They're very nice and their top of the line model (The Monolith) is a steal at £450. BK make subs for other named brands so have a good heritage. With a bit of luck, Tom and BK Electronics will get in touch and arrange some samples be sent to What Hi-Fi towers.

I can do no more. It's over to them now. It's a British and US shootout! (Totally different price ranges mind. Though there is some crossover.) Can't wait for a review...... :)

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I think whf team did a great job on the beresford review which contradicts that opinion of only reviewing main stream brands.I have heard bk subs and they are awesome.

A

Anonymous

Oooh yes. I agree re the Beresford. Great maker of headphone DACs and amps. It's great to see small businesses doing exceptional work, getting coverage they couldn't pay for. It encourages others to innovate and give it a go. If the product is good and the quality is consistent, then what better than to take the risk and put a sample in for review.

At least one of the companies I spoke to said that they'd had a product tested in the past and it hadn't done well and they were a little nervous about putting another one in. But on balance, they believe in their product, as do a lot of consumers so they thought it would be worth putting their money where their mouth is.

I must say I hadn't looked at it like that before and it just highlights how independant What Hi-Fi are and also the enormous value of a good review because it doesn't always work out well for the manufacturer.

That said, they should know their own product!

A

Anonymous

In Norway SVS subwoofers are very well known. www.lsound.no distributes to the rest of Europe. Most SVS-models were reviewed in the major Norwgian magazines. A few english reviews of the largest models:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/139313/ (PB13)

http://www.lsound.no/webedit_files/83/hcc_154_080-1.pdf

I am looking forward to seeing What Hifi Sound and Vision review these great subs.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Well played Will
emotion-21.gif

I look forward to the reviews.

I take it that it's SVS who are lining up samples, any joy with BK?

I'm between a Monolith and a MA RSW12, wouldn't mind being enlightened
emotion-1.gif

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Giving this old thread a bump, any progress on a review. Its been some time now since this thread was started and Ive still not seen anything SVS related in either the magazine or online.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts