surround sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I just bought a samsung led 40inch UE40d5003, great tv but speakers are tinny and it has a couple of flaws.

Firstly it does not come with optical or coaxial connection. Can i still fit a basic surround sound system somehow?

Secondarily it does not come with an integrated hd tuner, although it is hd ready and does have a sd integrated tuner.

Whats a decent freeview hd tuner i can connect to it, which wouldnt cost me the earth? (i just wiped out all my savings-up in the telly) :oops:

thanks for any help

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Well tbh mate it's going to have to be a HTIB Or seperate amp speakers bluray etc...

As for freeview look at this

http://m.techradar.com/news/video/home-video/7-best-freeview-hd-boxes-in-the-uk-today-718172

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If the telly doesn't have any form of digital audio output, it should have a pair of red & white analogue outputs. Just run a pair of interconnects to an input on your existing Hi-Fi amplifier (assuming you have one). OK, it won't be surround, but it should sound better than the TV's internal speakers.

Failing that, save up for a home-cinema-in-a-box, just ensure it has an analogue input for your TV.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
As your tv does not have optical or analogue phono out puts, you could take the audio from the headphone socket that the tv has got, to a surround amp with something like this. This would give you for example the ability to put DTS Neo 6 on it, if your amp has the feature, or other surround formats, or the ability to plug it into an ordinary stereo amp.

A

Anonymous

cheers all.

appreciate your answers.

Because of my extremely low knowledge of the subject can some one pleas explain to me what these are for?

This is what I have on the rear of my telly

1 x usb = to load photos, listen to music etc on the tv.

1 x AV = I am assuming that one is the scart for a dvd player, correct?

1 x DVI audio in (minijack) = ???

1 x Ethernet (LAN) = ???

1 x headphone jack = headphones

2 x HDMI = ???

1 x scart= ???

can i connect any sort of even basic surround sound or soundbar to any of these??

sorry for the low knowledge i have, im a beginner.

any help would be gr8tely appreciated

thanks

1 x CI slot= ???

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
In conjunction with my reply on your other post, here's a breakdown of the ports and their use:

1 x usb = to load photos, listen to music etc on the tv.

1 x AV = is this just labelled AV? If so, not sure what this is. My guess is this is the DVI port which allows connection of a PC.

1 x DVI audio in (minijack) = allows you to pass audio from a PC so that you get sound from TV's speakers

1 x Ethernet (LAN) = allows connection of TV to the internet (presumably for either portal or firmware updates)

1 x headphone jack = headphones - could possibly be used to output audio to sound system via 3.5mm or 3.5 mm to RCA phono cable

2 x HDMI = connection of newer devices via HDMI lead (e.g. modern DVD and Blu-ray players, Sky HD, Freeview HD PVRs etc.)

1 x scart = connection of older devices via SCART lead (e.g. older DVD players, VCRs etc.)

1 x CI slot = allows you to put in a viewing card for some paid TV services e.g. TUTV.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I notice from the manual there are a number of Sound Settings - have you tried all of these to see if this improves the quality?

If you have, I notice you're also looking at getting a Freeview HD box separate to the TV. Your other option is to have a look at getting one of these which has the optical / coaxial output - this can then be connected directly to a surround sound / soundbar system and you could just ensure you watch all TV through this box instead - you then wouldn't need to connect the TV up.

If you're looking at literally just a Freeview HD tuner, the Humax HD-FOX T2 is worth a look. It has an optical out and is about £90 from the likes of Dixons / PC World. If you need a PVR (i.e. one that will record TV as well as let you watch it), the Digital Stream DHR8203 can be picked up for about £160 (NB - my review is for the 8205 which has a 500 GB drive - the 8203 is identical except has a smaller 320 GB drive so slightly less room for recordings).

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
1 x scart = connection of older devices via SCART lead (e.g. older DVD players, VCRs etc.)

Just to add to prof's post: Since the scart socket is usually intended to connect a VCR - which plays and records - it should be fully wired (i.e. all pins connected). If that is the case (you'll need to check in your manual or with the dealer or Samsung), it means that you can take a line-level stereo output from it: That is ideal for powering an outboard amplifier/speaker system.

A scart to 2 x phono audio output lead intended for that specific purpose is available for no more than a couple of quid off ebay.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
wireman said:
professorhat said:

Just to add to prof's post: Since the scart socket is usually intended to connect a VCR - which plays and records - it should be fully wired (i.e. all pins connected). If that is the case (you'll need to check in your manual or with the dealer or Samsung), it means that you can take a line-level stereo output from it: That is ideal for powering an outboard amplifier/speaker system.

A scart to 2 x phono audio output lead intended for that specific purpose is available for no more than a couple of quid off ebay.

Hmm, usually a VCR will only record from its own internal tuner or from something plugged into the AV input of the VCR - I've never known of a VCR that can record directly what's showing on the TV through the SCART output so I'm dubious as to whether this will work (though I don't know this for sure on all models of course). Whether this has any bearing on whether the SCART input on the TV also has a line level output I'm not sure, so it's definitely worth a try!

Unfortunately, if it's the same one that is on the Samsung website for download, the manual for that model of TV is next to useless and doesn't even mention the ports on the back and their use, let alone connecting up other devices to the TV so there'll be no help there. I think trial and error will be the only way to go on this one.

professorhat said:
wireman said:
professorhat said:

Hmm, usually a VCR will only record from its own internal tuner or from something plugged into the AV input of the VCR - I've never known of a VCR that can record directly what's showing on the TV through the SCART output so I'm dubious as to whether this will work (though I don't know this for sure on all models of course). Whether this has any bearing on whether the SCART input on the TV also has a line level output I'm not sure, so it's definitely worth a try!

Unfortunately, if it's the same one that is on the Samsung website for download, the manual for that model of TV is next to useless and doesn't even mention the ports on the back and their use, let alone connecting up other devices to the TV so there'll be no help there. I think trial and error will be the only way to go on this one.

I had a National Panasonic VCR that could record what's shown on TV. It did not have an internal tuner. Not in this country though.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
I think trial and error will be the only way to go on this one.

I agree: Unless someone can confirm that the scart is fully wired (for input and output) there are no guarantees, but I think it's worth asking/trying. My original JVC plasma (pre-dating HDMI) had one of it's three scarts fully wired, and that worked... but this OP's screen (being at the lower end of the price spectrum) may not to help keep the manufacturing cost down.

UPDATE: I've just tried a Scart to 2 x phono audio lead on my existing Panasonic G10 Plasma which has 2 x Scart sockets: Both sockets output line-level stereo from the screens own internal Freeview and Freesat tuners, and I tried feeding these into my Denon AV receiver and, as a cheap alternative, a Panasonic ghetoblaster... both worked fine. Again, this doesn't confirm that the OP's own Samsung screen has it's own Scart socket fully wired for input and (crucially) output in this way too, but I'd think it's hopeful.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, appreciate your responses.

I really dont want to take the telly back so at the minute I am considering getting hd freeview box to connect to the telly which will then enable me to connect a surround sound of some sorts, or soundbar.

however i have seen surround systems like this one online http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-dav-tz135-5-1ch-dvd-home-cinema-system-09949587-pdt.html and i was wondering: as this system comes with a dvd player, would i not be able to connect my dvd player to the scart in the back of my telly and then connect the surround that comes with the dvd player to the actual dvd player?

advice please?

A

Anonymous

Also I was looking at the Icecrypt t2200 freeview hd box -- i dont think i can record on it, but we r not fussed about that. it seems to have a good review on techradar and its only 60 quid in tesco. plus if it has optical or coaxial outputs i would be able to connect a surround system. after spending so much on the telly im kinda resigned that i would need at least a couple of hundred more to sort myself out a half decent freeview hd box and a surround system and i figured that if i compromised i could get the Icecrypt for 60 in tesco and maybe the above metioned sony surround system 120 pounds in pc world. :pray:

A

Anonymous

Also I was looking at the Icecrypt t2200 freeview hd box -- i dont think i can record on it, but we r not fussed about that. it seems to have a good review on techradar and its only 60 quid in tesco. plus if it has optical or coaxial outputs i would be able to connect a surround system. after spending so much on the telly im kinda resigned that i would need at least a couple of hundred more to sort myself out a half decent freeview hd box and a surround system and i figured that if i compromised i could get the Icecrypt for 60 in tesco and maybe the above metioned sony surround system 120 pounds in pc world. :pray:

sorry, somehow it posted twice :O

A

Anonymous

Hi all, just an update.

I have solved my sound dilemma. :bounce:

I went to comet today and I bought a http://www.comet.co.uk/p/PC-Speakers/buy-BOSE-COMPANION-5-PC-Speaker/366803#askandanswer Bose Companion 5, 2.1 surrond sytem. It was supposed to be £306 but I got it for £250 cause it was a return (customer didnt want it) and I am properly chuffed! :dance:

Especially happy as the Bose Companion 3 (his smaller brother) costs £250, I got his bigger brother for the same price and theres nothing wrong with it.

Had it hooked up for a couple of hours and ...man.... it is the bees knees.

It connects to the samsung via a simple headphone to headphone cable (£6.99 maplins).

the sound is incredible especially at higher volumes.

It is a lot more than i was hoping to spend and I still am having to buy a freeview hd box (decided i am going for the Icecrypt t2200) but im gonna have to save up first!

:p

Leeno

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to Jack the post. I have the same TV, when plugging into the headphone socket with lead to speakers all I'm getting is a loud humming noise.. Anyone know what the problem might be?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts