How to get HD on a Samsung UE40H6400

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi all. A friend of mine is about to buy the above TV. The man at Currys told him it was great for HD TV but of course didnt tell him what he needed to do to get it. He isnt interested in sky or paying a subscription for TV, he just wants the basic free channels but in HD. The TV has a "DVB-T2 Freeview HD Tuner". Does this mean that he can simply plug it into his normal TV aerial and get HD or will he need a special aerial or dish?

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
http://www.freeview.co.uk/what-we-offer/freeview-hd
As easy at that?? Thanks for your help. I'm a little behind the times on that as i have sky. I presumed you needed a dish or differing aerials. My friend has a freeview recorder as well. Presumably he plubs the aerial into that and runs a hdmi lead from that to the tv or will he need a HD box as well?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The tv has a built in Freeview HD tuner, so it should be a case of connecting his aerial to te back of the tv, turning it on, then following the onscreen instructions to get the channels.

If the tv fails to find many (or any) channels, he may need to change his aerial, cabling, or both, but don't let him get tricked into buying stuff he doesn't need.

shep1968 said:
bigboss said:
As easy at that?? Thanks for your help. I'm a little behind the times on that as i have sky. I presumed you needed a dish or differing aerials. My friend has a freeview recorder as well. Presumably he plubs the aerial into that and runs a hdmi lead from that to the tv or will he need a HD box as well?

If the Freeview recorder isn't HD, he won't get HD if the TV aerial is connected to the recorder. The TV has Freeview HD built-in, so he should get HD channels with existing TV aerial when connected to the TV.

daveh75

bigboss said:
shep1968 said:
bigboss said:

If the Freeview recorder isn't HD, he won't get HD if the TV aerial is connected to the recorder. The TV has Freeview HD built-in, so he should get HD channels with existing TV aerial when connected to the TV.

In that situation you would loop the aerial through the PVR (i.e connect the aerial to the PVRs aerial/rf in, and then from its rf out to the TVs in) that way you can still record in SD (presuming its an SD PVR) and watch in HD on the TV.

daveh75 said:
bigboss said:
shep1968 said:
bigboss said:

In that situation you would loop the aerial through the PVR (i.e connect the aerial to the PVRs aerial/rf in, and then from its rf out to the TVs in) that way you can still record in SD (presuming its an SD PVR) and watch in HD on the TV.

:cheers:

Paul.

Most samsung tvs have some limited pvr functionality. On my tv, I can schedual recordings from the guide mode and pause live tv. You have to have a USB hard drive plugged in for this to work. I say 'limited' as on midrange tvs like ours, we don't have two tuners. This means we can't record one channel and watch another. It's quite useful if you are out, but not a fully functional pvr. I tend to use catchup rather than record anyway.

pbc2112

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Ive just brought the above model and cant find any hd channels neither,when pressing the info it says 720 and sd which i presume is standard definition.I disconnected by old panasonic dvb video recorder and still had no hd on direct link into the back of the tv after previous comments to try that.On checking the signal information it says dvb-t, i thought hd was dvb-t2 am i correct.I do have a signal amplifier thats ive had for a few years could that be the problem as it cant pick up and hd signals.Wouls appreciate any help from anybody on the forum experiencing the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Partyboy

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
i am looking to purchase a 40 inch tv to replace an ageing 32 inch Sony. I don't mind spending a bit of money to secure a model at the higher end of the range. I am considering the Samsung H7000, currently £800 in John Lewis. Can anyone comment on this model or suggest any alternatives? The main use for the TV will be movies, sports and general tv programmes. Any help and suggestions would be greatfully received.

many thanks

TRENDING THREADS