Supernait or DAC XP/Power amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After reading loads of postings in this forum it seems that to listen to streaming music I need an amp with a good DAC built-in. So which is better out of the Supernait and DAC XP/power amp and which power amp should I buy if I go for the DAC XP. I'll consider any other amps with built in DAC's provided that have a remote control and an AV switch.

I listen to all music except classical/country&western/rap (and hip-op or whatever it is!). In fact I mainly like music from the late sixties + blues + female vocal.

I have a Cyrus 6VS so I know the Cyrus sound but I prefer the sound from the Leema Pulse and Naim 5i. However, the Supernait is a relatively unknown quantity to me as I only heard it briefly once. I've never heard the DAC XP either. I like a smooth sound (hence the Leema) but with good timing. It has to make femail vocal sound like they are in the room. I listened to a Moon amp/cd and it did absolutely nothing for me at all. I do like Arcam but I want something that really gets the toes tapping.

No dealers near me seem to stock both the Cyrus and Naim.

Alternatively, should I go for the Leema and buy a streamer with a good DAC built in? Are there any? How good is the DAC in the Transporter?

I don't want to spend more than £2-2.5k

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You may consider the £999 Musical Fidelity A1 (new version).
By all accounts very smooth and well resolved. Has 'Home Theatre Bypass' for integration into your AV system and built in (USB) DAC. (Built in MM phono stage too.)
It is pure class A (solid state) and rate at 36 watts per channel.

I have not heard it myself but plan to very soon.

A

Anonymous

Bryston do a pre with optional DAC which is superb. You should look into it.

Cyrus's star is certainly the DAC-XP. Brilliant product.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
SuperNait is a superb amp but the build in DAC is a good rather than great one. Cyrus XP DAC will beat it if we are gonna judge them by digital feeds. Two more brands for your short list, I know this is difficult due to the they have a lot less dealers but try to demo the Cairn Fog 3 and Stello DP220 too. They are great products with fantastic preamp function.

A

Anonymous

There's a vast difference between the Cyrus 6 and the DAC XP with an XPower or pair of MonoX. You should find it more neutral, better balanced and closer to what it sounds like you prefer. Def make it top of your audition list!

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone who responded. I had expected everyone to recommend the Supernait as it seemed to get really good reviews. But now that Naim has launched the XS I see no point in the Supernait, given that the XS, and a good DAC, cost about the same, or less, than the Supernait. A separate DAC will also give more inputs than the number of digital inputs available on the Supernait. Reviews so far appear to say that the XS is almost the Supernait without the DAC?

It seems that most of the items I want to connect have digital outputs and I wonder how many people are facing the same situation? For example, it seems that Freesat is probably now a better option for radio than FM or DAB, as I suspect it will give a better quality signal. A digital streamer probably makes more sense than CD and gives the option of Internet Radio too. Even my current (very old Arcam) CD also has a digital output and is still in working order for when I want to listen to CD. I'm even considering using a streamer for DVD playback.

So I'm now considering the Humax Freesat PVR, the Netgear EVA9150 audio/video streamer and my old CD player as the main inputs. Does this make sense? Everyone seems to say that it's the DAC that has the biggest impact on sound and that the streamer just needs to provide the digital stream. If I rip my CD's and DVD's to a server, given that the Netgear is claimed to handle FLAC and 1080P video, will this be good enough? I plan on using powerline adaptors for networking and the Netgear has hdmi output for connecting to my Onkyo AV receiver.

If this is OK it brings me back to the best choice of amp and DAC. Which amp is best out of the Naim XS, Leema Pulse and Cyrus 8VS2? My speakers have 91db sensitivity but I'm told they need a lot of current to drive them. This doesn't mean much to me so I've no idea what I'm looking for? I know I prefer the sound of Naim and Leema to the Cyrus, which I find a little lean. My priority is female vocals and blues. I like the smoothness of the Leema and the presence of Naim, but I could live with either. A good headphone output would be a bonus.

Is the Cyrus DAC still the best choice or is there another good remote control DAC around? I really don't want to have to manually select inputs on the DAC when everything else is remote controlable! It appears that most DAC's have been developed for the studio market rather than hifi and remote control doesn't seem to have been a priority.

Alternatively, is there an amp with multiple digital inputs and a good DAC built in, other than the Cyrus DAC XP? After thinking about it I'd rather not go to the cost of a Cyrus DAC XP plus power amps if I can get a cheaper option with the sound I'm looking for. I think that the only analogue input will be from my Onkyo AV amp so I no longer see the need for loads of analogue inputs. Am I missing something here? If there are none currently available does anyone know of any coming soon?

Any advice would be much appreciated especially as it is such a massive change!

A

Anonymous

Oh why is that? Perhaps the Supernait sounds better - did you consider that?
My money would be on the Cyrus though as the DAC-XP is pretty remarkable and you will not get that sound from a cheaper product. Cheaper products usually sound cheaper - that's not to say there are not excellent value for money!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts