Suitable Integrated Amp for Kef LS50

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

robfol

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi ls50

Well KEF themselves use the Arcam A38 for their LS50 demos and blew away the Press and Public at the Miunich show in a huge room with exactly that system. In the same huge room they also used A38/P38 combo to drive the massively expensive Blades.

KEFs global brand ambassador also uses Arcam for all his key demos

I think that should answer your question (-:

Cheers Robert

[Unpublished - total promotion]

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I must say i still very much like my Cyrus 6XP with the LS50. :bounce:

I use a tube based cd player as source (http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/vincent_cds6.htm)

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
What amp does Kef use to demo the LS50's? I seen they used the Kef Q Series with Marantz for a demo. Do Kef change amps depending on what country they are in? Would be interesting to see at the Bristol Show.

zarathz

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a pair of the LS50s (took a month for the back-order to be filled!) but the amps at the place where they were sold were a bit too rarefied in their audiophile quality and price-point.

So I bought on review data and trudged the LS50s to another place, and tested them with the Naim Unitilite, NAD C390DD, and the Peachtree Nova 125. I would have liked to have tried out the Rega Brio-R, but it was not carried at the store.

The disclaimer here is that I had not broken in the speakers at all. My old receiver was not even close to powerful enough to drive these speakers, and the music sounded truncated and tinny.

The Unitilite was effortless and clear, but I felt that the precision and detail it got out of the speaker was a bit too clinical for me. While exactness and precision are highly desirable for some, it was too clean for my tastes.

The NAD was warmer with a bit more bass and a chunkier midrange sound, but it still felt clinical. There was a slightly fuller soundstage, which I liked.

The Peachtree Nova 125 seemed to hit the sweetspot for me. The vocals were warmer and the room filled up with more bass, a treble that was less sharp in the higher ranges, yet was still clear and if less crisp than the other two receivers... still, it was on the crisper side of the soundstages I'm used to.

My take is on this speaker is that it does in fact need a powerful amplifier, as many have said. It is also really crisp and clean, as the "reference" moniker would suggest. So much so that if you pair it with an amp that is also similarly tweaked (or untweaked, as you see it), then you may end up with a completely reference-grade sound. I like colour, softness, and some rounding of the edges/fulness, which the Peachtree tube seemed to add wonderfully.

Of note, the fellow in the store was kinda pleased to be listening to the LS50s. He suggested that the only sub in the store worthy of these speakers (and in my price-range) was the Totem Storm. The speed and clarity of the speakers demanded a sub with the kind of speed of response that this sub offered. The music (ranging from jazz to classical to deep house) seemed to have an outer envolope of sound that added to the experience. The LS50s, in my opinion, need a sub. Oddly, the sound from the sub seemed to be just "outside" of the sound that the speakers produced. Like there was a small space between the bass and the music. The sub connected via pre-outs.

I expect that the speakers, which still have a slightly "boxed in" sound, will open up with hours of listening. Or perhaps I am simply adjusting in part to a higher quality of speaker that does less of the work for you.

Set-up: I have put the speakers on shelves, probably about 6-8 inches from the back wall. Not ideal, but it's the space I've got. The speaker wires are XLO HT PRO. Probably overkill, but there are a lot of wires running around, and I figured the shielding was necessary. Otherwise it's all digital where possible.

The next step is to set up a NAS drive. It is bloody difficult in Toronto to find a company that knows their stuff on computer networking. I'm thinking of going with the Sonos Connect (zp90) and then either getting an external HD or using my Time Capsule. I want to get rid of iTunes, yet still control all transfers from a laptop/iphone. More thread-reading:)

These threads were super-helpful in coming to an understanding of the speakers and potential amps, so thatnks all!

A

Anonymous

My Brio R is sounding pretty sweet with my newly purchased LS50s....

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Alfonso said:
My Brio R is sounding pretty sweet with my newly purchased LS50s....

Same here! Lots of reserve in the amp. An amp and speakers getting along very well together - both giving great detail, wonderful transparency and sound field; punching above their weight and price...

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I heard the LS50s demoed (at length) with the Pearl lite and Kandy K2. Both sounded very good indeed. My definite preference tho was the Pearl lite.

I heard an observable difference but I do appreciate that both amps were very good and that it is a subjective opinion.

Tonky

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that the combination in my sig is also really exceptional. Soundstage and separation are really something special. Too bad my girlriend despises the look of my system :)

pantonius

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Today I herad LS50 with Caspian M2.

It was fantastic.
smiley-surprised.gif

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
TBH the pairing is "ok". Certainly not great, mind you. Since it's just an office system pairing for me, it will do. However, I am looking at getting a better amp partner moving forward.

Larry

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I have just bought a Heed obelisk pre/power amp (pre/PS) for my desk setup and I´m looking for new speakers as well, where LS50 is on my top 3 list. So my question is, does LS50 sound good and dynamic at moderate volume levels (because I sit at my desk and listen) or does it first sing when you turn up the volume ? Also my Heed PS only gives 60 W in 8 oHm/ 100W in 4 ohm but should be quality Watt. It seems LS50 works fine with Rega Brio-R, but maybe it is still underpowered ? My second choice is the small Guru Junior speaker, should be very lively and not difficult to drive. I have heard the LS50 for a short time with some naim gear and it sounded great.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had experience of coming from B&W 600 series to these? I have a pair of 602 S2 and speakers is definitely an area I’m looking to make an upgrade at some point. I have recently been thinking of going active but am very happy with my amps so longer term may split to two systems.

I’m so delighted with my amps now with a Croft 25 valve pre in to a Quad 909, my speakers (although served me well) just lack a little bit of sophistication and I’m looking for a cleaner and more detailed sound, the B&Ws have been great over the years but their deficiencies are becoming a distraction now.

So has anyone upgraded a similar speaker route? I’m quite keen to here what the LS50 sound like on my amps.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bluedroog said:
Has anyone had experience of coming from B&W 600 series to these? I have a pair of 602 S2 and speakers is definitely an area I’m looking to make an upgrade at some point. I have recently been thinking of going active but am very happy with my amps so longer term may split to two systems.

I’m so delighted with my amps now with a Croft 25 valve pre in to a Quad 909, my speakers (although served me well) just lack a little bit of sophistication and I’m looking for a cleaner and more detailed sound, the B&Ws have been great over the years but their deficiencies are becoming a distraction now.

How the LS50s will sound on your system, I can't say for certain as I'm not familiar with the Croft pre-amplifier.

I think you may initially find the change a bit of a culture shock. The 602s had bass that was equivalent to many floorstanding speakers, even if they weren't the last word in control and neutrality. What you are currently used to is a bass that will be a bit bloated, and lacking detail and control because of it. Midrange was a little recessed due to the strong bass, and the treble had a tendency so be a little 'spitty' at times. Having said that, you may not have come across these issues much less than others as the 909 tails off in its response at the frequency extremes, so it may have helped a little. It'll certainly have been in control of what the 602s were doing.

The LS50's treble is just clean - there's no tizz or spitting, just clean, open, and clear, and whilst the LS50s aren't laid back, they're non fatiguing to listen to. Midrange is similar, and will probably be the biggest difference over the 602s. You'll be hearing things you've never heard before due to a complete lack of midrange distortion. Bass follows the same route, just clean and clear, and with the right amp, an ability to stop and start that is more akin to headphones. In fact, the whole presentation of the LS50s is more like headphones in that they stop and start so quickly you get those moments of silence between instruments that is impressive to hear from a loudspeaker.

They're way ahead of the 602s, but it'll just be down to whether you like the sound of them or not. If you're auditioning them, take along some music you know very well, including some stuff you've always felt sounded congested or muddled - you might be surprised!

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
garyw77 said:
Thanks for your reply, interesting... i am one who definitely likes as much detail as possible so maybe the KEF's would be a step up. Just don't want to make a sideways move if you know what i mean.

I also take it from your post that the Pearl Lite shouldn't have any problems driving them?

I demoed the pmc db1i against the kef ls50.The ls50 does offer more detail .

I preferred the pmc's tonal balance and warmth .I personally felt if i had chosen the kefs with my neutral sounding system .It would have been great for short listening periods.But would have driven me up the wall long term .I would definitely demo the ls50 before buying .I can see why everybody raves about the ls50 as they are amazing speakers.just not for me .

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
damonster said:
garyw77 said:
Thanks for your reply, interesting... i am one who definitely likes as much detail as possible so maybe the KEF's would be a step up. Just don't want to make a sideways move if you know what i mean.

I also take it from your post that the Pearl Lite shouldn't have any problems driving them?

I preferred the pmc's tonal balance and warmth .I personally felt if i had chosen the kefs with my neutral sounding system .It would have been great for short listening periods.But would have driven me up the wall long term .I would definitely demo the ls50 before buying .I can see why everybody raves about the ls50 as they are amazing speakers.just not for me .

So you thought the DB1s were warmer than the LS50s?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
David – I know they’re quite a way apart in price but how would you compare the Kef LS50 to say the PMC Twenty 22? I’m not so familiar with many models in the price range but have demoed the 22s. Many thanks.

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ayre AX-7E was ridiculously good with my LS 50's. Way better than Harman Kardon HK990 and Densen DM 20 DM 30 combination.

I can only very highly recommend the Ayre amp.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
damonster said:
garyw77 said:

So you thought the DB1s were warmer than the LS50s?
Yes , they have an overall richer and warmer tonal quality to them .They were set up side by side so had direct comparison. The pmc's oooze warmth .The kefs gave more detailed mids , but what really struck me was the integration between bass ,mid range and highs . They were absolutely seamless.

I felt with kefs i would spend my time analyzing music.

Pmc's , toe tapping enjoying music.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Guiweb said:
Hi,

Did someone try Heed Obelisk amp with the Kef ? What do you think about this "small" Heed for the Kef ?

This integrated seems to be recommanded for the Kef by Whathifi...

thanks

Guiweb

i have and it stuggled..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts