Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, am currently using audiolab 8200cd and rotel ra01 to drive ls50

Would like to upgrade my amp.

My options are:

Naim 5i

Cyrus 6a

Roksan kandy 2

Which one of the above best suit my setup?

Appreciate input from experts in this forum

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The LS50's go really well with the Nait 5i, and I've used them on various other Naim amps and have sounded great every time. The Cyrus might lack a little power to get them to higher levels, but will sound fine at normal volumes. I haven't tried the Kandy with them yet, but I can't see that combination not working.

A

Anonymous

Hi David,

Thanks for your input

I am worry that my audiolab 8200cd could not match with Naim 5i, as some comments said Naim amp is best suited to Naim CD player. Or it is just a myth?

If you could clarify this, then I would look to audition Naim 5i.

Have a nice day!

Hi Ls50

Your impressions/thoughts of your system are?

What do you generally listen to?

Is there anything in particular you would like the new amplifier to have (such as remote, tone controls, mp3 input, headphone socket, phono input etc.)?

The size of your room?

Your listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Interconnects and speaker cables are?

With a new amplifier what areas of improvement and the kind of presentation are you looking for the system to achieve?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

I listen more to jazz, acoustic and pop music.

My room is quite small, about 10 feet x 10 feet.

Listening level from low to medium volume, I dont hear music too loudly.

Phono input, tone control, mp3 are not my priority.

Currently using oxy fuel interconnect from ZuCable and chord carnival silverscreen speaker cable.

For my new amp, I would like to have more detail and more musical.

My current rotel generates decent bass, but thats all.

I need an amp which can bring out the best of LS50.

Appreciate your comment, have a nice day to you!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Ls50 said:
Hi David,

Thanks for your input

I am worry that my audiolab 8200cd could not match with Naim 5i, as some comments said Naim amp is best suited to Naim CD player. Or it is just a myth?

If you could clarify this, then I would look to audition Naim 5i.

Have a nice day!

A mix of Naim and Audiolab wouldn't be ideal, but there's no reason you can't try it for yourself to see if you like it.

If you like the sound of the 8200CD, try the 8200CDQ with the 8200P power amplifier. The 8200A amplifier will drive them, but the 8200P will do it so much better. The KEF R series and LS50's work very well with the Audiolab stuff, so there's an alternative to the Naim pairing - as I say, the Naims work very well them too. Do try the Kandy option though as that might work well too.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
You could also try a Creek Destiny 1. It should be somewhere old stock (900 GBP) or secondhand (less likely). Or a good tube-amp (not cheap).

Maybe you can say something about my suggestions, David (from FHH) ?

SPLAT

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd use the 8200CD as a pre-amp (It can be switched to pre-amp mode) and get a power amp like the 8200P it would have a very good grip on your speakers to pump out the tunes. It has a very smooth and creamy bass response.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Rethep said:
You could also try a Creek Destiny 1. It should be somewhere old stock (900 GBP) or secondhand (less likely). Or a good tube-amp (not cheap).

Maybe you can say something about my suggestions, David (from FHH) ?

Sorry, the last Creek amp I heard was mid 90's!

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick couple of questions on something i've been thinking about.

Would the LS50's be an improvement over my PMC DB1i's for an upgrade? and if so would my current amp (Marantz Pearl Lite) be able to drive them ok?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
garyw77 said:
Would the LS50's be an improvement over my PMC DB1i's for an upgrade? and if so would my current amp (Marantz Pearl Lite) be able to drive them ok?

Hmmm. I think that depends on the criteria you're taking into account. Personally, I feel the LS50's would be an improvement. The reason is that the DB1i has never been one of my favourite speakers anyway - although I appreciated it suited certain people, especially if they want an exciting, easy to drive bookshelf to listen to - so naturally, I will think that. I think the DB1i's will be less demanding on amplification that the LS50's though, but there does seem to be that synergy between Marantz and KEF that could favour the LS50's. I just find the LS50's more accurate with less of the bass warmth I find with the DB1i.

It really is something you would have to hear for yourself though, as you may not even like the sound of the LS50's :)

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, interesting... i am one who definitely likes as much detail as possible so maybe the KEF's would be a step up. Just don't want to make a sideways move if you know what i mean.

I also take it from your post that the Pearl Lite shouldn't have any problems driving them?

A

Anonymous

Hmm... :? If the Cyrus 6 may lack power, what about the Cyrus 8? Or David could also consider the Exposure 2010S. Or even the Marantz PM8004. But since David is using an Audiolab as a front, he might as well have an Audiolab drive his LS50. I am sure the Audiolabs will work well together but whether it is suitable for the LS50 is another matter :grin:

Incidentally, I heard the LS50 at an AV show and they do sound big. But then, they were driven by a pair of humongous pair of power amps from the looks of which probably cost 10x the LS50. Was very impressed by how the LS50 stood up to those electronics.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I think you should demo the ROKSAN KANDY K2 work with no problem with any kind of speakers and CDs .

Has a lot of power ( 134wx2 in 8 OHM ) , Many usefull features and well established reputation .

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I heard the LS50's demoed with a K2 and it sounded great, I would definitely advise that you use a good quality amplifier to get the best out of these speakers :rockout:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
leedash13 said:
How would one expect the LS50's to perform on a Peachtree Decco65:

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/decco65-amplifier-with-dac.html

Seems like pretty solid specs? or would these monitors be underpowered? Thanks!

It's using a Class D amplifier, so it'll be clean and pretty stable, so should be fine. It'll then rest on the system's quality as to what you'll get from them. I heard them on a Rega Brio-R, which sounded fine, but not as precise and defined as I'm used to hearing them.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Did someone try Heed Obelisk amp with the Kef ? What do you think about this "small" Heed for the Kef ?

This integrated seems to be recommanded for the Kef by Whathifi...

thanks

Guiweb

TRENDING THREADS