Suitable amp for Monitor Audio B4 floor standing speakers.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Looking for some advice as to what would be a suitable amp to pair with some Monitor Audio B4 floor standing speakers. I was thinking of the Cambridge Audio 640A v2 (and perhaps the Cambridge Audio 640C cd player also). Does anyone have any experience with any of these components or could they make another recommendation for an amp/cd combo which might go well with the B4 speakers.

Many thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

.......?o?

Do you mean the Cambridge Audio 640A? =) I use the gold range of monitor audio and pair it with a lot of audiolab. There are always a few 8000A's going on ebay, take a look. I saw an 8000CD and DAC on there also, but they might outprice you somewhat.. Speaking of which, what is your budget?

A

Anonymous

Hi Mr. Poletski you are correct I did mean the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A and I have edited the original post to remove the typo!

I was thinking of between £200-£300 for the amp and then around the same again for the CD player. I was originally thinking of the Marantz PM6001 but I read some very positive reviews of the CA 640A and I thought it would be a more suitable match for the Monitor Audio B4 speakers as it has a higher power rating. Other suggestions are welcome though!

A

Anonymous

Just to add I was browsing through some of the other threads and someone mentioned that the warm sound of the NAD C352 (£270 from superfii (RRP £380)) might work well with Monitor Audio speakers which can sometimes be a bit bright.

A

Anonymous

Further reading in another thread I have seen Arcam kit recommended for use with MA speakers. Anyone got any advice?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
The person I bought my Marantz amp from had these MA speakers running off it. Best advice is to hear a few combinations yourself as everyone has different tastes.

Hi Mikey.

I currently run Arcam A65 Plus thru RS6's and it sounds balanced. They only drawback with the Arcam is it lacks some sonic fireworks.

With the new FMJ range being launched you can bet there'll be some decent deals on the outgoing DIVA range. Good hunting.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice GPI and plastic penguin. I think the best thing might be to go with GPIs advice and haul myself and the B4s down to Richersounds, Superfi or Sevenoaks and test out a few different amplifiers and cd players with the speakers. I will keep my eyes open for deals on the Arcam DIVA range penguin thanks.

A

Anonymous

aye that be the thing to do. You don't have to go same-brand but you may find that certain amps and cd players just go together better that way.

A

Anonymous

Incidently, having taken my MA gold reference center into monitor audio to check the crossover (it was fine) they gave me a frequency response plot of mine vs the reference. I noticed a fairly sizable mound of the order of about 2 decibels at the apogee before it rolled downwards - starting at just over 20Khz. Might explain this brightness reputation, particularly as the cheaper ranges might well be configured differently, bringing that mound downwards. Looks to me like something is hitting its resonant frequency - perhaps the tweeter housing or the coil itself (though I find the latter unlikely).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]Incidently, having taken my MA gold reference center into monitor audio to check the crossover (it was fine) they gave me a frequency response plot of mine vs the reference. I noticed a fairly sizable mound of the order of about 2 decibels at the apogee before it rolled downwards - starting at just over 20Khz. Might explain this brightness reputation, particularly as the cheaper ranges might well be configured differently, bringing that mound downwards. Looks to me like something is hitting its resonant frequency - perhaps the tweeter housing or the coil itself (though I find the latter unlikely).[/quote]

Eh? :p

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]Incidently, having taken my MA gold reference center into monitor audio to check the crossover (it was fine) they gave me a frequency response plot of mine vs the reference. I noticed a fairly sizable mound of the order of about 2 decibels at the apogee before it rolled downwards - starting at just over 20Khz. Might explain this brightness reputation, particularly as the cheaper ranges might well be configured differently, bringing that mound downwards. Looks to me like something is hitting its resonant frequency - perhaps the tweeter housing or the coil itself (though I find the latter unlikely).[/quote]

Sounds plausable to me! Cheers for your input Mr_Poletski

A

Anonymous

A friend of mine has a musical fidelity amp (coupled with a Rotel CD player and B&W speakers) so I am going to take the MA B4s over to his place this week and see how they sound with his amp and cd player set up.

Hello Mikey.

Your idea of keeping an open mind is great. Just be aware that too much choice can be counter productive and become slightly confusing. It happened to me, I tried four different amps and in the end I became deflated. If you go to one of the bigger dealers, I am sure they'll let you bring it home for dem.

If your determined to keep the MA's audition an amp that majors on the control side - your speakers create a big soundstage and have a lively top-end. The Arcam A70 is lean and quite detailed and would be ideal with your B4's, certainly with your budget.

Try and listen to your friends set-up at your gaffe?

All the best. PP

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts