Suggestions for first audio system

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi all!

Friend of mine is willing to obtain his first audio system. Hi is more interested in stereo rather in home cinemas system. Room size is ~45m2

During first audition of speakers he liked Bower&Wilkins 683 s2 and Dali Ikon 6mk2. (in particular price range).

I would appreciate recommendations regarding stereo amplifier that bests suits each of the speaker option (AVR is also under consideration). As to amplifier/receiver, it should have all streaming services: AirPlay, Internet radio, Spotify etc. Also could advice on a stereo amplifier and network streamer combination. Total budget for stereo amplifier, or amplifier – streamer combination, or AVR is ~ 1000€ – 800£. If necessary, budget could be stretch little bit!
regular_smile.gif

Txn for advice!

rainsoothe

hi

first of all, wow, that's a big room :)

Imo you will need quite the amplification to fill that space, and, as far as i know, there's no all-in-one streaming sollution for that within your budget (Naim Uniti 2 would be my first suggestion). Well I think Yamaha have some new products that might fit the bill, but I find them a bit lacking soundqualitywise.

For the B&W 683 s2 the instant suggestions would be Rotel RA1570 or Roksan Kandy K2 amps (and maybe the Exposure 2010s2 or Arcam FMJ A19, but I'm not sure how these would cope with that huge room - the exposure might have an easier time), and personally would try to budget for Cambridge Audio NP30, Pioneer N50 or Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 v2 for the streaming part (mind you the CA stream magic can also act as a preamp, so I guess that could be used with a power amp instead of an integrated, but you would have no analogue input - for adding a turntable later, or whatnot).

Another cheaper sollution might be a blu-ray player (like the Sony BDP-S7200), but I have no idea if those can do Spotify/Pandora/etc, hopefully someone better educated can shed some light onto this matter.

Also, let me throw in another suggestion for the speakers: Martin Logan Motion 20 (or Motion 40 if you can find a good deal or don't mind used). Imo they're pretty killer for the money, and for my ears better then B&W (who's sound I'm a fan of). And I'm not only recommending these because I own a pair of Motin 40, they just seem to outperform most speakers in their budget if you ask me - better soundstage, smooth but detailed treble and plenty of oomph. If you should take anything good from this post is this: audition Martin Logan before deciding on speakers, and then budget around and FOR that.

And one more thing, if you don't mind going 2nd hand route, you could do worse then laptop (for streaming and internet radio) + Naim Supernait 1 + either Martin Logans or B&W. Actually you could also use the laptop for the same purposes and use a USB to SPDIF converter to connect to the dac in the Rotel as well, but I wouldn't say it's the greatest dac in the world.

Top advice:

1. if possible, audition everything and, if possible, audition in your home (or similar enviroment)

2. let dealer make suggestions (not decide for you, but just suggest stuff)

3. screw reviews, let your ears decide (who knows what 3star product sounds better to you then my favourite 678.000.000 star product - and if that's the case, that's what you should go for)

goodluck

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for advices!
regular_smile.gif

It really bad that it is not possible to listen to these all combinations here in Latvia… Actually we managed to listen just to 2 combinations – B&W 683 s2 with Rotel and Exposure amps…

As speakers my friend chose B&W 683 s2 (visual also was important). And know again question about amplifiers and…
regular_smile.gif

How would be, sound B&W 683 s2 with Pioneer A-50-K and N-50A-K or older N-50-K network player?

Can anyone comment on sound difference between Pioneer A-50-K and A-70-K?

TRENDING THREADS