Suggestion for the website

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Hi

Is there any chance now or in the future the what hi fi magazine website will just be made accessible for the readers of the magazine? ie if you go into a shop and buy the magazine for the month you then get a months access through a code or if you are a subscriber you get permanent access?

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We're certainly not proposing putting a 'paywall' around this website, as some media owners have done.

However, we have had discussions about there being special subscriber areas with more features; nothing more than thoughts at the moment - when we have anything more concrete, you can be sure i'll let you know.

daveh75

gel:
Hi

Is there any chance now or in the future the what hi fi magazine website will just be made accessible for the readers of the magazine? ie if you go into a shop and buy the magazine for the month you then get a months access through a code or if you are a subscriber you get permanent access?

Thanks
Why do you want the site hidden behind a paywall?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
This is a subject probably as emotive as cables!

I can understand that if some of us pay for the magazine on a regular basis, there is an argument for that loyalty being rewarded. However, given the feature-rich website that exists already for anyone who browses the Interweb, any restriction would be a retrograde step. I applaud WHF's generosity in providing so much for free. I think that adding extra features for subscribers is the way forward if any change is warranted.

A

Anonymous

I'd suggest that putting this forum behind a pay wall would kill it stone dead. There are many other hifi and av websites out there, after all.

A digital edition of the magazine available for a small fee would seem the better way to go.

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:

We're certainly not proposing putting a 'paywall' around this website, as some media owners have done.

Shame i would definetely be in favour of one
emotion-21.gif

However, we have had discussions about there being special subscriber areas with more features; nothing more than thoughts at the moment - when we have anything more concrete, you can be sure i'll let you know.

That sounds good
emotion-21.gif

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

daveh75:gel:

Hi

Thanks

Why do you want the site hidden behind a paywall?

Hi Daveh75

Well i have been a reader virtually every month for about 10 years and even if i have not been a subscriber i would still buy the issue or borrow a copy of my dad or friend and when i joined the website i thought i would just been talking to other what hi fi readers all the time but 75% of the time i think i talk to people who are not.

That is why i ask the question.

Thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gel:Is there any chance now or in the future the what hi fi magazine website will just be made accessible for the readers of the magazine?

The number of 'hits' on the website per month and the number of registered members would drop dramatically. (Followed shortly afterwards by the advertising revenue.)

The fees (from the subset of remaining members who are prepared to pay for access) would need to match the lost advertising.

Without any knowledge of figures involved, no-one (except Haymarket accountants) can say what the fees would need to be, but I will guess they would be more than the cost of picking up a copy of the magazine.

Also, the 'code' idea is flawed because people will just browse a copy of the mag to get it.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby:

gel:Is there any chance now or in the future the what hi fi magazine website will just be made accessible for the readers of the magazine?

The number of 'hits' on the website per month and the number of registered members would drop dramatically. (Followed shortly afterwards by the advertising revenue.)

The fees (from the subset of remaining members who are prepared to pay for access) would need to match the lost advertising.

Without any knowledge of figures involved, no-one (except Haymarket accountants) can say what the fees would be, but I will guess they would be more than the cost of picking up a copy of the magazine.

Also, the 'code' idea is flawed because people will just browse a copy of the mag to get it.

Not if it was sealed which some issues are anyway.

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
gel, we wouldn't run a code in the mag - sealed-bag issue or not - because that code would end up on other Forums within minutes; it's just not a viable way if you want to track/secure individual logins.

Any subscriber area would involve individual subscribers logging in with their exclusive details.

But, as mentioned, these are future plans.

For now we are happy to be growing our online community, and reaching millions more people than we could hope to address via our magazines, even with our family of international editions.

More than 5 million people have visited whathifi.com already this year; we're on target to smash 2009's figure of 6.4m unique users
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby:

Why do you want to pay to have the website shut off to all but a subset of people who buy the magazine?

Well because then you would know you are talking to someone who cares about the magazine and like someone has already mentioned other forums are run that way too.

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:

gel, we wouldn't run a code in the mag - sealed-bag issue or not - because that code would end up on other Forums within minutes; it's just not a viable way if you want to track/secure individual logins.

Any subscriber area would involve individual subscribers logging in with their exclusive details.

But, as mentioned, these are future plans.

For now we are happy to be growing our online community, and reaching millions more people than we could hope to address via our magazines, even with our family of international editions.

More than 5 million people have visited whathifi.com already this year; we're on target to smash 2009's figure of 6.4m unique users
emotion-21.gif

That is great i look forward to that Clare
emotion-21.gif

I also see the sense in drumming up business and reaching people far away too.

I just thought i would post the suggestion to see what was in the pipeline.

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
gel:chebby:

Without any knowledge of figures involved, no-one (except Haymarket accountants) can say what the fees would be, but I will guess they would be more than the cost of picking up a copy of the magazine.

Not if it was sealed which some issues are anyway.

Thanks

But then my local Library has a copy on the shelves along with other mags........

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gel:Well because then you would know you are talking to someone who cares about the magazine and like someone has already mentioned other forums are run that way too.

gel,

Maybe you should just devise a simple three-question test based on the latest issue, which you can put to anyone you doubt is a real reader before you enter into a dialogue with them...

D

Deleted member 2457

emotion-2.gif
Andrew Everard:

gel:Well because then you would know you are talking to someone who cares about the magazine and like someone has already mentioned other forums are run that way too.

gel,

Maybe you should just devise a simple three-question test based on the latest issue, which you can put to anyone you doubt is a real reader before you enter into a dialogue with them...

emotion-2.gif
i would just like to know they have read one issue let alone the latest one.

D

Deleted member 2457

laserman16:

Answers.

Yes.

Dunno

Have not heard all cables.

Will Gel talk to me?

emotion-2.gif
you passed Laserman cos i will talk to you and everybody else just batting the idea out there.

Peace and out.

idc

Forum posts, particularly reviews with the product name in the title come out high in google searches. So even if an active member does not buy the magazine, they contribute to footfall, or whatever the internet equivalent is and so advertising revenue.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
gel:laserman16:

Answers.

Yes.

Dunno

Have not heard all cables.

Will Gel talk to me?

emotion-2.gif
you passed Laserman cos i will talk to you and everybody else just batting the idea out there.

Peace and out.

Wow. Thanks.

Tonestar1

I don't mean to sound cynical, but if the paymasters thought there was more money to be made by locking the website down it would have been done by now or would be in the pipeline. Haymarket aren't providing these facilities free for the good of their health. It must make financial sense. Either advertising revenue, projected advertising revenue or increased magazine sales are why the investments in this website have been made. They're not in this business for fun, they are here to make money, same as everyone else. I love this site but am under no pretentions with regards to the motives. I dont have a problem with that, we do live in a capitalist country afterall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts