Suggestion for a Music Player to Pair with an Integrated Amplifier

htirwin

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi, this may seam like a trivial question, but I'm having a hard time navigating the world of modern digital audio playback technology. What I have in mind is a unit that can remain connected directly to the amplifier, on which high resolution digitial audio files can be stored, and which can be controlled, managing playlists etc., through an advanced remote control or smartphone app.

Most devices seam to be geared towards wireless streaming, or integration with music sales/service platforms. I don't really care to stream the music wireless, I would prefer to just control playback wireslessly. Additionally, it would be nice to have support for playing CD's, maybe also DVD's.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
htirwin said:
Hi, this may seam like a trivial question, but I'm having a hard time navigating the world of modern digital audio playback technology. What I have in mind is a unit that can remain connected directly to the amplifier, on which high resolution digitial audio files can be stored, and which can be controlled, managing playlists etc., through an advanced remote control or smartphone app.

Most devices seam to be geared towards wireless streaming, or integration with music sales/service platforms. I don't really care to stream the music wireless, I would prefer to just control playback wireslessly. Additionally, it would be nice to have support for playing CD's, maybe also DVD's.

Consider a Mac Mini or Apple Laptop.

Apple gear will let you control everything through Remote Apps on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch.

Either device will let you play physical media through a small USB Cd/DVD drive.

And will let you stream wirelessly too - if you change your mind about that route.

You can upgrade playback software to Audirvana Plus or several other Apps which will then just use iTunes for its library and remote functions.

You will, of course, need an integrated Amp with a DAC or a standalone DAC in addition to an integrated Amp if the Amp doesn't have one.

Job done!

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
well, 2 actually. One serves all my (ripped WAV or FLAC) music and music DVD/BD's from a 2TB hard drive, through the DAC then to the amp. You don't even have to have a DAC as the WDTV has an analogue out as well as optical, that would be up to you if you could justify the purchase of a DAC. What you would definitely need is a screen of some sort, any size has got to be better than one of those microscreens on an average streamer. The WD will wirelessly stream if you want it to or easily play over ethernet. I bought another one a few months later for my TV setup (in another room) with a 4TB drive as I didn't come across anything for a fraction of the price that would do the same thing; it plays most file formats and does playlists etc. too.

Your money, your choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts