Finding a portable/handheld audio player with very peculiar features for a family member in need

AriGee50

Mar 8, 2021
Visit site
Hello
I come to you all with a very specific request. I am looking for a handheld music player for a family member in need (what I would want to label as an mp-3 player even though I don't think anyone has used an MP-3 in years haha). I am familiar with audio equipment, and so are they, but time is of the essence and I don't know what all is out there. I am hoping this community can help.

Please let me know if this is better to post elsewhere.

The truth of the matter is, I have a family member who is entering a mental health treatment facility for an extended period of time, likely multiple months. He would really like to be able to listen to his music while he is there (and already has a set of nice Fostex over ear headphones, and some Shure IEMs). The issue is, this facility wants to be able to control access to the outside world. You can understand, they don't want an abusive ex harassing someone who is there to get better, probably from the damage done by that person. Things like that. So there is a strict rule that the device cannot have any kind of wi-fi connectivity, even if it couldn't be used for messaging, web access or anything. It also cant be capable of recording anything (to ensure the privacy of all of the people there).

Of course, I imagine these are common features on many of the nicer audio players out there. We want to find something that is nice, but not TOO expensive (no more than say $200-$300 USD, maybe a little over but not much). Just something nice which could he could store his music on, has a nice onboard DAC, and a headphone amp for him to listen to music with (or even one device that stores the music and a separate DAC/headphone amp, whatever works).

Can you help me find something for him? He's not really in a position to do it himself right now and I want to help, but I don't have much time and I'm a bit lost in the sea of this stuff. Like I said, I know a bit about this stuff, I know the concepts, I'm just not at all familiar with handheld players, all of my equipment sits on my shelves.

EDIT: I was able to confirm that Bluetooth is ok, just so long as there is no wifi or anything else.

Thank you all so much, know you are helping a family in need,
Sincerely,
Ariana

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 188533

Fiio also has a whole range of devices. I have one of the older first gen M3's and it's solid for such a small, cheap device. I think it was about $60 new. The M3 Pro is the only one that doesn't at least have Bluetooth I think.

Reactions: Al ears

AriGee50

Mar 8, 2021
Visit site
Ive been able to confirm that Bluetooth is ok so long as there is no other wi-fi etc!

Fiio also has a whole range of devices. I have one of the older first gen M3's and it's solid for such a small, cheap device. I think it was about $60 new. The M3 Pro is the only one that doesn't at least have Bluetooth I think.

It seems Bluetooth is ok. I actually have an older Fiio DAC/Amp that Im a fan of, but its not a music player. I use it to connect to my phone so I dont have to use the DAC on the phone, but obviously, a phone isnt a possibility in this case.

I will check out their other offerings though, thank you!

I will check it out, thank you!

D

Deleted member 188533

I'm sure it is. While I'm not familiar with the individual models, Sony players tend to be quite good. Assuming you're in the US that NW-A55 is on sale through various retailers. The slickdeals thread has some user reviews in it.

AriGee50

Mar 8, 2021
Visit site
I'm sure it is. While I'm not familiar with the individual models, Sony players tend to be quite good. Assuming you're in the US that NW-A55 is on sale through various retailers. The slickdeals thread has some user reviews in it.

What do you think of the Cowon players? Something else that came up in my search that seems to not have wifi?

Something like the D2, D3 or V

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts