Sugden A21SE Finally!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I am arguably one of the foremost owners of the Pulse on this forum, having heard God knows how many integrated amps over countless years... and read numerous reviews on the Leema. Now while I admit and hold my hands aloft in appreciation of the Sugden's ability beyond the Pulse, I do get a little frustrated that you assume the Pulse to be relatively sterile or uninvolving or unrefined.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread the Pulse is unique in its price catagory, in that, contrary to reviews, it doesn't demonstrate a lack of refinement, analytical clarity, seismic bass, but does have an uncanny way to engauge the listener.

The OP spent around £1200 on the Pulse and PMCs, but now you and others (Class A fans by the look of it) are suggesting Harbeth (a good shout) and a better source. Even if he goes s/hand, with the £1600 cost of the Sugden (That's around the same as my amp, CDP and speakers), I doubt he'll have much change from 3k +. Unless you are getting a hefty upgrade that's sounds a lot of sheckles.

Anytime you come to London you're more than welcome to see and hear what the Pulse can do -- and I'll cook you some wonderful grub. (I know you've heard the Pulse firing a pair of Focals, TB2is are a different animal altogether. Never know, you might actually like it. *wink*)

PP, I'm not criticising the Pulse per se, but making a general comment based on my personal experience over many years. I am referring to all AB, B and D amps that I've heard, including some expensive stuff from Electro, Linn, Moon, Coda, Bel Canto and even MF. Like Valves, there are certain qualities that Class A has, that other topologies don't have.

One of the best ways to hear what I'm talking about is to compare the same brand's AB vs A.....eg. MF M6500 vs AM35i, Pass Labs Int 150 vs Int 30A or something like a Plinius, which can be switched from AB to A.

Thank you for the offer to visit. The joy of being on here, is that I feel I have made I have made genuine "cyber" friendship with people, so expect a visit if I'm in your area. The offer is of course recipricoted.

*drinks*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi CnoEvil

Well I had a Sunday afternoon session and towards the end I tried swapping amps a few times. I think It's a little cleaner and vocals more forward and perhaps strings have a little more texture. But one thing for sure is pride of ownership is streets ahead, and I do love that alone. Cheers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
How are things progressing?

Interesting he hasn't made a comment for a few days. Perhaps he's waiting for the right pair of Harbeths.

Hmmm.

I'm now wondering if the Source is actually what is holding the system back. *scratch_one-s_head*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
boggit said:
Hi CnoEvil

Well I had a Sunday afternoon session and towards the end I tried swapping amps a few times. I think It's a little cleaner and vocals more forward and perhaps strings have a little more texture. But one thing for sure is pride of ownership is streets ahead, and I do love that alone. Cheers

You know what to do. (And I would too in your situation.)

:)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping it will improve with use some say 50 hours

I probably won't get Harbeth's for a while Mrs Boggit might not take that quiet so well. I'm probably going to visit Macspur with the amp and listen to his Harbeth's. And possibly visit Guildford Audio for an audition as Rosewood P3ESR's don't come up to often and go for around £1000 so will probably go for new.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
I'm probably going to visit Macspur with the amp and listen to his Harbeth's.

Great idea....and you will also get to hear the effect that a great source has, as well....I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

boggit said:
Hi CnoEvil

I'm surprised you're finding the vocals a little more forward than on the Leema. I just wonder if that forwardness is down to the extra clarity?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well I've ordered some new slate roof tiles and hall carpet! 3rd time lucky hey?

@PP probably both, the voices are slightly clearer and further forward in the soundstage with things like guitars behind the voices closer to the speakers. But I always found the Pulse very good at this.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well I don't know how or why but tonight I stopped analysing. I started smiling and didn't want to stop listening. I kept trying different songs to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I have a day off tomorrow so will double check the epiphany and report back.

Edit if it continues tomorrow I might even change my signature!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
Well I don't know how or why but tonight I stopped analysing. I started smiling and didn't want to stop listening. I kept trying different songs to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I have a day off tomorrow so will double check the epiphany and report back.

That's how it starts! *diablo*

CnoEvil said:
boggit said:

That's how it starts! *diablo*

Thought it starts by... ahem... pushing the 'on' button.

I'm out of here. Whoosh!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts