Sugden A21SE Finally!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, however you manage it, I want to know more.....this is where I'd put my money if looking for an amp with that budget.

Great job.

iceman16

Good job
regular_smile.gif

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well its mainly down to you guys in particular CnoEvil and Macspur that ive ended up with a Class A amp. Cheers Guys.

Bought it from Inspire HiFi who manufacture some stunning looking turntables, they also upgrade Rega, Linn etc.

Should arrive Monday, open box one, they ordered the wrong one for a cusomer so go a really good price.

The rest of my system is Sonos, Leema Pulse, PMC DB1i's, looking to get some Harbeth P3ESR in Rosewood.

If you hover over my origional title you can see the origional post, the only place it would paste was in the summery section.

Cheers guys.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
Well its mainly down to you guys in particular CnoEvil and Macspur that ive ended up with a Class A amp. Cheers Guys.

Don't thank me until it's in place and you're truly delighted....I think Harbeth (and possibly Proac or Spendor Classic) is a great way to go.

It's good to know that my incessant propaganda has some effect.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well I'll be sure to let you know, I looked at Electrocompaniet, Sonneteer, Croft, Laverdin, Vincent, Carin, Primare great looks, Musical Fiedelity, Leben, some amazing kit out there. But my intention was to buy used so audition difficult unless I took advantage of dealers, so in the end I got a superb price on a new open box one. A 9 year old Electrocompaniet for £900 seemed a bit of gamble.

I have immensely enjoyed my time with the Pulse, powerful, presise great soundstage just enjoyable but I'm after more feeling more emotion I want to hear resonance on the strings, I want to hear warmth, not to mention my listening room although a very nice place is blinking freezing in the winter so I thought the Sugden an ideal choice!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Don't thank me until it's in place and you're truly delighted....I think Harbeth (and possibly Proac or Spendor Classic) is a great way to go.

I agree, and I'd add this: if you're a bit disappointed with the sound of the Sugden through your PMCs, don't panic! There are spectacular results to be had with Sugden amps, with the right speakers.

Matt

PS not that I have anything at all against the PMCs: they're very fine speakers. It's just that I have doubts about the Sugden + PMC synergy.

boggit said:

Bought it from Inspire HiFi who manufacture some stunning looking turntables, they also upgrade Rega, Linn etc.

Should arrive Monday, open box one, they ordered the wrong one for a cusomer so go a really good price.

The rest of my system is Sonos, Leema Pulse, PMC DB1i's, looking to get some Harbeth P3ESR in Rosewood.

If you hover over my origional title you can see the origional post, the only place it would paste was in the summery section.

Cheers guys.

Well done. Should be a decent upgrade on the Pulse.

BTW, did you hear the Lavardin or was it just on a shortlist?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on taking the class A plunge! As CNo and Mac might say, there's no turning back now...

I use the A21SE in my bedroom system, mainly with ProAc D2 speakers and occasionally with the Response 1SC, so I'd highly recommend the matching of the two brands. My Sugden dealer demos his amps through Spendor speakers, so that would also be a decent pairing.

Enjoy!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well thanks everbody, i had these conspiracy theories running through my that all you regulars get paid by the HiFi industry to get everbody to upgrade, now there a thought!

PP i certainly hope so the Leema has been and is brilliant and in my origional post which i could not paste i gave a nod to yourself. No i did not audition the Laverdin noe stupidly the Sugden but i got a brand new one for £1670. It seems a safe bet with rock solid residules.

SingSlinger, cheers, bedroom system, whats your main system?

Will report back Monday first impressions.

Has anybody looked at the stunning turntable manufacture by Inspire HiFi they look amazing.

boggit said:
Well thanks everbody, i had these conspiracy theories running through my that all you regulars get paid by the HiFi industry to get everbody to upgrade, now there a thought!

PP i certainly hope so the Leema has been and is brilliant and in my origional post which i could not paste i gave a nod to yourself. No i did not audition the Laverdin noe stupidly the Sugden but i got a brand new one for £1670. It seems a safe bet with rock solid residules.

SingSlinger, cheers, bedroom system, whats your main system?

Will report back Monday first impressions.

Has anybody looked at the stunning turntable manufacture by Inspire HiFi they look amazing.

I would be inclined to wait for a while before buying different speakers, for two main reasons: i) The DB1is really do punch above their price tag and size. ii) In my humble opinion, they will, I imagine, sound even better with the Sugden, plus they are incredibly versatile. I've heard them with Arcam, Leema, Cyrus, Naim 5i and XS (all with distinct tonal qualities), and I've yet to hear them sound dodgy. They are the hi-fi equivalent to a Swiss Army Knife.

In fact, I would suggest looking for a good pair TB2is, should you have the urge. The downside is they're not made anymore so ex-dem or s/hand are the only route. By contrast, they have a more expansive sound than the DBs, as well as extra subtlety and detail. Blindingly good (can be purchased now for about £800).

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well the A21SE arrived.

Looks stunning, weighs a tone, build qaulity is supurb if it sounds as good as it looks, I'll be very happy. Its a quite day at work and I'm itching to get home and plug it in. A really nice touch is an old fashion brown parcel tag with the guy who built it QC'ed it all hand written and a photocopied instruction manual all in Yorkshire English! Love it.

PP there is a Lavardin IS on ebay at the mo at £586.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry guys been typing a relatively long post on my iPad, even though I could'nt go back in and edit errors I persevered. It then crashed and lost the lot. This new forum is utter pants. I give up and I'm an ex IT !

Yes I like it. I'll try and re type my thoughts tomorrow after retrieving my ipad from the garden.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Boggit, congrats on getting the 21SE, it's a great amp - very musical and sounds a lot more poweful than 30W.

My main system is - Accuphase C2420 pre/ Accuphase A46 power amp (classA), ProAc K6 speakers, Marantz NA11-S1 streamer, Esoteric SA-50 SACD player and Jeff Rowland Aeris DAC.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy the Sugden - please let us know your impressions once you've had a chance to do some serious listening.

boggit said:
PP there is a Lavardin IS on ebay at the mo at £586.

Thanks. Not looking to change for some considerable time -- probably the last thing on the hi-fi list of 'to dos'. Nearer the time I'll shortlist the Lav as well as Leema Tucana and Electrocompaniet EC1-3. Have to say, though, do love the Leema presentation and so the Tucana would probably be favourite.

I'm looking forward to read your first thoughts on the Sugden.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
I hope the inpiration you received from here hasn't turned to frustration.....so howzitall sounding? *scratch_one-s_head*

Probably having agg with his iPad, given he couldn't post a long response.

A one word response would do: Brilliant or She-ite. *biggrin*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry guys was going to reply today, but never got round to it. Mainly due to it being not entirely positive. I don't no what I was expecting but it does not seem a huge improvement. It's very powerful no problem there, I thought the bass a little fuller it might have a little more harmonic content but that's it. Build and looks are fantastic. So I may get some Harbeth P3 on eBay at the moment and see if things change between the two amps then, and decide which one to sell. Just shows what a cracking amp the Pulse is?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
Sorry guys was going to reply today, but never got round to it. Mainly due to it being not entirely positive. I don't no what I was expecting but it does not seem a huge improvement. It's very powerful no problem there, I thought the bass a little fuller it might have a little more harmonic content but that's it. Build and looks are fantastic. So I may get some Harbeth P3 on eBay at the moment and see if things change between the two amps then, and decide which one to sell. Just shows what a cracking amp the Pulse is?

It could be a synergy thing. I wouldn't have put Sugden and PMC as natural soul mates, in the same way Proac and Harbeth would be (and apparently Pulse + PMC).

Sometimes a different sound takes a while to appreciate.....and somtimes you just prefer what you had. My advice is to hear the Sugden with Proac and Harbeth, before passing judgement.....but always go with what gives you the most enjoyment.

TRENDING THREADS