Sugden A21SE Finally!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
boggit said:
Well I don't know how or why but tonight I stopped analysing. I started smiling and didn't want to stop listening. I kept trying different songs to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I have a day off tomorrow so will double check the epiphany and report back.

Edit if it continues tomorrow I might even change my signature!

That's how it starts! *diablo*

Thought it starts by... ahem... pushing the 'on' button.

I'm out of here. Whoosh!

Ah, but you only press it the once.......*music2*

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I also have an older Sugden A21. I'm using it to drive a pair of ProAc Response D1. I bought Chord Carnival Silverscreen cables. The sound is great but I am constantly wondering on how to improve. My sources are a Marantz CD6004 & Project Essential II. I have Chord Interconnects for both.

I'm still pretty new to hifi. I've toyed with the idea of getting an Arcam A38 just to have a remote again but I'm not sure if SQ would improve. I would love to hear a Chord DAC (is it Hugo people are raving about) but we've just made an offer on a house so funds are tight.
I might be able to get a cheaper DAC. Maybe that IRDac or something in that price range. Second hand market really appeals to me.

Anyone any tips or ideas on what next?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
boggit said:
Well I don't know how or why but tonight I stopped analysing. I started smiling and didn't want to stop listening. I kept trying different songs to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I have a day off tomorrow so will double check the epiphany and report back.

I'm out of here. Whoosh!

Once???*shok*

Cno it's a class A amp, your supposed to turn it off after you listen...*wink*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
boggit said:

I'm out of here. Whoosh!

Once???*shok*

Tell me about it. *biggrin*

MoJoe said:
I also have an older Sugden A21. I'm using it to drive a pair of ProAc Response D1. I bought Chord Carnival Silverscreen cables. The sound is great but I am constantly wondering on how to improve. My sources are a Marantz CD6004 & Project Essential II. I have Chord Interconnects for both.

I'm still pretty new to hifi. I've toyed with the idea of getting an Arcam A38 just to have a remote again but I'm not sure if SQ would improve. I would love to hear a Chord DAC (is it Hugo people are raving about) but we've just made an offer on a house so funds are tight. I might be able to get a cheaper DAC. Maybe that IRDac or something in that price range. Second hand market really appeals to me.

Anyone any tips or ideas on what next?

Better source would be thing to look at first. It will be determined by your budget and taste as to which you plump for. The CD6004 is good for the money but sure the Sugden will benefit from an improved unit.

I can't suggest any particular one as I have no experience with Sugdens, but pretty sure Cno and few others could point you in the right direction.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MoJoe said:
Actually I apologise for the derailment of the original thread. I should have asked elsewhere.

Sorry MJ, but I for one was waiting until I had time to give a proper answer....you have a lovely amp and speakers, which I personally wouldn't change. What you do with the source/s depends on your priorities (TT/CDP/Streamer) and your budget.

CnoEvil said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
boggit said:

I'm out of here. Whoosh!

Once???*shok*

Tell me about it. *biggrin*

Mmmm...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I also have an old A21a, bought second hand. It's a lovely piece of kit. I think it's as agnostic as most amps about what digital sources you plug in to it. The irDAC would be high on my list to audition. I use an MF V90-DAC taking a digital feed from a Sonos Connect. Obviously with the house move you don't have money to burn, so the V90-DAC is worth a look. The Micromega MyDAC is very popular in some quarters. Jaxwired of this parish used to use one and was IIRC very pleased with it.

Matt

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Ultimately I aim to upgrade both cd player and tt. I know you like the Linn streamers CnoEvil. I am not a fan of streaming at this stage.
I have the Sugden A21SE phono stage.
I had thought a DAC might be the first thing on the list of suggestions.
Thanks Matt, I've not heard of some of those units. I use a raspberry pi to stream with an on board DAC but only when people are over or if I'm rightly, late on a Saturday night or feeling lazy. I thought a DAC would improve sound from cdp (can it be connected after phono stage too?) and allow me to improve streaming sound at the same time. Although as I've mentioned the steamer isn't important.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MoJoe said:
Ultimately I aim to upgrade both cd player and tt. I know you like the Linn streamers CnoEvil. I am not a fan of streaming at this stage. I have the Sugden A21SE phono stage. I had thought a DAC might be the first thing on the list of suggestions. Thanks Matt, I've not heard of some of those units. I use a raspberry pi to stream with an on board DAC but only when people are over or if I'm rightly, late on a Saturday night or feeling lazy. I thought a DAC would improve sound from cdp (can it be connected after phono stage too?) and allow me to improve streaming sound at the same time. Although as I've mentioned the steamer isn't important.

If you were to get a DAC, what would you be prepared to spend?....there are some great offerings from Metrum, Rega, Arcam, MF, Chord and Audiolab.

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I could probably go to £400. I have a Marantz PM6004 I'm hoping to sell so possibly a little beyond 400 if I can move it on.
I don't need instant gratification so if spending that on a cdp is likely to give a bigger improvement and then saving for an upgrade on the tt then I can do that. I'm just not sure what to expect from a dac or a new source I suppose.

By the way, I really appreciate the help.

iceman16

MoJoe said:
Ultimately I aim to upgrade both cd player and tt. I know you like the Linn streamers CnoEvil. I am not a fan of streaming at this stage. I have the Sugden A21SE phono stage. I had thought a DAC might be the first thing on the list of suggestions. Thanks Matt, I've not heard of some of those units. I use a raspberry pi to stream with an on board DAC but only when people are over or if I'm rightly, late on a Saturday night or feeling lazy. I thought a DAC would improve sound from cdp (can it be connected after phono stage too?) and allow me to improve streaming sound at the same time. Although as I've mentioned the steamer isn't important.

An upcoming Rega dac is suppose to be launch this Oct. as my local dealer mentioned to me today. It might worth the wait. Im also looking forward to it.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
MoJoe said:
I could probably go to £400. I have a Marantz PM6004 I'm hoping to sell so possibly a little beyond 400 if I can move it on. I don't need instant gratification so if spending that on a cdp is likely to give a bigger improvement and then saving for an upgrade on the tt then I can do that. I'm just not sure what to expect from a dac or a new source I suppose.

You should try and home dem the following DACs:

- Arcam IR DAC

- Chord Gem

- Rega Dac (out-going model available for £329)

- Musical Fidelity M1 DAC

FWIW. It's possible that the more forward presentation of the Chord would work well with Sugden / Proac

Just to mention Cno, the Chord gem is bluetooth and usb only( no optical and coaxial input)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MoJoe said:
I could probably go to £400. I have a Marantz PM6004 I'm hoping to sell so possibly a little beyond 400 if I can move it on. I don't need instant gratification so if spending that on a cdp is likely to give a bigger improvement and then saving for an upgrade on the tt then I can do that. I'm just not sure what to expect from a dac or a new source I suppose.

- Arcam IR DAC

- Chord Gem

- Rega Dac (out-going model available for £329, down from £548)

FWIW. It's possible that the more forward presentation of the Chord would work well with Sugden / Proac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
MoJoe said:
I feel stupid asking this but does one connect from the phono stage to DAC before the amp?

No need to feel stupid. We're all in the same boat.

The phono stage goes straight into the amp. A DAC only accepts digital inputs.

Since you're not really into streaming, I think an external DAC may not be the right way to go. In your situation, assuming the TT gets lots of use, I'd be saving for a TT upgrade, as this is an area where investment reaps dividends.

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
CnoEvil said:
MoJoe said:

- Arcam IR DAC

- Chord Gem

- Rega Dac (out-going model available for £329)

Just to mention Cno, the Chord gem is bluetooth and usb only( no optical and coaxial input)

Good point....then I suspect the Rega looks interesting at that price.

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I'll have to ask and see if anyone in this aul town can do a home demo.

Total thread hijack at this stage. Apologies for that and thanks for the ideas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts