Subwoofers

philliperry77

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

This is probably a silly question to those in the know, but I have a surround sound set up that includes a Marantz receiver with centre, left and right and surround speakers. I don't have a Subwoofer. My problem is when I watch a blu ray in DTS, some very loud effects come through the centre speaker. But I thought it should be voices coming from that. Is is perhaps because I don't have a subwoofer? If I was to get one, would it finally give me seperate voices through the centre speaker and lose the effects that are so loud I get pins and needles in my hands?

Thanks.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think yes its because your centre speaker is working full range - check the volume level with an spl metre to make sure its in balance with the others.

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
what you seems you are experiencing is the full range coming from your front soundstage, by having a subwoofer incorported into your system then you need to set the front and any rears to small, start with setting crossovers to 80hz and let the sub handle anything below 80hz

the Marantz after running Audyssey will probably set the crossovers differently but you can manually change these settings afterwards, don`t change the distances it sets though, a little bit of experimenting with xovers will usually help you to not be able to locate the sub in your room as well, try raising the sat xovers which allows the sub to do more of the work and also takes strain off the amplifier

Allan

TRENDING THREADS