Subwoofer

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a philips Home theatre system(HTS5550) that i used as a 2.1 Hifi in my bedroom. I am not happy with the low end frequencies from the original passive sub and would like to know if i can connect and active subwoofer(any brand but most possible a polk 8inch woofer) to my existing system. There are no subwoofer pre-outs on my amplifier. Will it be possible to run a speaker cable from the existing subwoofer output channel on my home theatre amp to the subwoofer speaker input terminals and still get a better bass response. Bearing in mind that the speaker cable is carrying amplification and signal current. Will the active sub's internal circuitry balance out the amplification coming from the amp?

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Yes and No. Yes, what you want to achieve is possible. No, the way you're describing isn't the way to go about it.

You need a sub that accepts speaker level (not line level) connections. I chose my MK REF 200 because it has both, can operate them in parallel and has separate gain for each. It uses a Neutrik cable that connects the sub in parallel with the speakers. Another option on some subs runs the speaker cable to the sub and then out again to the speakers.

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
my sub of choice is a polk psw110. Nothing too powerful though because i dnt want too overpower the sound with bass. i just want to balance it out. but i will have a look at other compatible subs nontheless. 8 inch or 10 inch will do best with my system.

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
image.tiff

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Is the Polk audio PSW110 a suitable sub? what other comaptible budget subs are there on the market? any suggestions? Do i connect it where it says "speaker in"

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I have to first audition them which ill probably do when i have free time? if i dnt have the time ill probably rely on reviews and owner feedback. @Robin

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
@Robin- download sets by Luis Del Villar under Ibiza sensations via itunes or soundcloud and hear what those mezzos can do. they are truly magical speakers but not what i need in a floorstander due to the maximum handling capacity. Download episode 7 and episode 19 and hear what they can do while you sipping on tequila. remember to use insulation tape around your speaker binding posts on your speakers and amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts