Subwoofer with High Level input under £300

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Now I've got my Tannoy R1s set up I could do with a subwoofer. I've about £300 budget and have a short list of new speakers:

BK Gimini II, Wharfdale Diamond SW250 (or SW150), Tannoy TS10, MJ Acoustic Pro 50 MK2.

or used:

Tannoy TS12, REL Acoustic Quake or Q-150 Mk2/A,Epos ELS if I can get them on my budget.

My concern is the Musical Fidelity A3 has only Preamp out and Speakers out. So can I only choose a sub with high level input?

Any advice accepted with gratitude!

Cheers.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Dicky-Art said:
Now I've got my Tannoy R1s set up I could do with a subwoofer. I've about £300 budget and have a short list of new speakers:BK GEMINI II, Wharfdale Diamond SW250 (or SW150), Tannoy TS10, MJ Acoustic Pro 50 MK2.

or used:Tannoy TS12, REL Acoustic Quake or Q-150 Mk2/A,Epos ELS if I can get them on my budget.

My concern is the Musical Fidelity A3 has only Preamp out and Speakers out. So can I only choose a sub with high level input?

Any advice accepted with gratitude!Cheers.

I am currently using two of these, absolutely no regrets!

Link: http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Gemini.htm

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Presumably you want high level because you want to integrate in to a two channel system for music? If that were the case personally I’d consider putting the money toward some larger speakers if you want more presence and bass.

Still adding a sub is another option, that being the case the BK subs are great, I use the XXLS400 which I’m delighted with. Can’t be bettered for the money without building your own.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
The MJ’s are good subs but spec wise in the equivalent price bracket the BK’s fair a bit better, if you put the MJ 50 up against the BKXLS200 for a similar price you’re getting a larger enclosure, more power and it’s considerably heavier which in the sub world does talk.

You couldn’t really go wrong with either though.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for info, food for thought :?

bluedroog said:
Presumably you want high level because you want to integrate in to a two channel system for music? If that were the case personally I’d consider putting the money toward some larger speakers if you want more presence and bass.

Still adding a sub is another option, that being the case the BK subs are great, I use the XXLS400 which I’m delighted with. Can’t be bettered for the money without building your own.

Yes bd cheers I didn't say...I want 2 channels for music. I've a set of Tannoy DC2000 which are taking up valuable floor space, hence the R1s.

So would I use the speaker output from my MF A3 not the Preamp out?

bluedroog said:
.....if you put the MJ 50 up against the BKXLS200 for a similar price you’re getting a larger enclosure, more power and it’s considerably heavier which in the sub world does talk.

I think the specs I've been reading on the BK XLS200MK2 are wrong, it says a 8" driver?

Also which cable to connect from speaker out to High Level in?

A

Anonymous

Yes the a Peerless 10" :)

Sorry more questions.....:oops:

Would I go FF or DF and what kind of difference do you get?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
No need for apologies, it's a forum after all and I'm here because I enjoy it.

Doesn’t make much difference to the performance to be honest. The FF is slightly easier to integrate as you can simply twist it to adjust but it’s marginal.

The DF looks sleaker and is safer from little kids fingers or the like. What floor you have can be a consideration, carpet may soak some of the impact or thin floors can leak sound but a solid board underneath can sort that.

Personally I prefer the DF. Like I said in performance terms there is little in it, just go for the one you prefer the look of.

A

Anonymous

:cheers:

I think I'll go down facing, as the cats used my Floorstanders grills as scratch posts:cry:

Those BK XLS200-DF MK2 in light oak could be the ones 8) (Is it wrong to get goosebumps without listening??:oops:) Also they come with free 5m High Level and 5m Phono leads.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
The things with subs is they have less of a character or ‘house sound’ than most speakers so you can read a lot more in to specs. The Peerless drives are very well respected; add to that a well constructed cabinet and decent power an you’ve got yourself a very good sub.

BK aren’t the last word in subs but I don’t think there’s much too touch them in the price range.

I’m sure you’ll be very, very happy with the XLS200, it’s a great little sub.

Can’t tempt you with the 400?>)

A

Anonymous

I think the 400s are a little outside my price range :shame: are you trying to get me a divorce??

And I've found connection info...

Subwooferconnections.jpg

A

Anonymous

379557_198908663521238_100002063188347_455255_411323478_n.jpg

Hi.

i built this subwoofer last november with my dad it uses a Peerless SKP254 10inch driver (which we got for about £40 i think) powered by a Rel Q100E plate amp (around £50 on ebay).

Im currently using the high level input to connect it to my pioneer A400 which i have powering some B&W DM303s and for around £120 with all the materials i don't think you can go wrong the thing sounds good!

Cheers mikey

A

Anonymous

Nice one Mikey!

To be honest I've a shed load of jobs to do so would never get round to making one!

Anyone got a Tannoy TS10 or Wharfedale SW?

A

Anonymous

It was definitely one of those projects take took a while to actually get around to making for me. After getting the amp for my 15th birthday in May last year it took us untill november to get around to ordering the driver. Building the enclosure was only took about an hour so its a really easy way to make a good sounding sub for not a lot. I haven't had a chance to comparre it to anything yet (non of my friends have any hifi) so i can't really help you on any of the subs mentioned in the forum sorry.

Cheers Mikey

A

Anonymous

Anyone heard the Diamond SW250? If weight/power/size is anything to go by.... plus remote :bounce: an option?

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
mikeyec said:
379557_198908663521238_100002063188347_455255_411323478_n.jpg

Hi.

i built this subwoofer last november with my dad it uses a Peerless SKP254 10inch driver (which we got for about £40 i think) powered by a Rel Q100E plate amp (around £50 on ebay).

Im currently using the high level input to connect it to my pioneer A400 which i have powering some B&W DM303s and for around £120 with all the materials i don't think you can go wrong the thing sounds good!

Cheers mikey

Good effort young man. DIY, particularly in subs takes you to new levels in terms of price / performance ratios. I’d love to have a bash one day.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got the SW150 if that's any use. I have mine in a "wife friendly" location so I could probably get it set up a whole lot better by experimenting with the positioning (but that's not going to happen....)

For movies it can go offensively loud if you want (listening room is about 20ft by 10ft) and will make the radiator on the other side of the room rattle as well as giving you a good bit of a shake / vibration through the sofa. I've got it turned down as I've tried to set it up properly. I'm pretty sure the SW250 would be a bit of a higher class but I've never heard it. There's better subs for music than the SW150 out there though you can get it new for £150 which is pretty bloomin' cheap!

A

Anonymous

hi mikeyec

you sub looks fantastic. well worth the effort.

excellent saving.

well done.

only wish i could do the same

A

Anonymous

i am hoping to update my system with a much better sub than SA-WM250!!!. budget £300 - 350.

i've had my eye on a brand new MJ acoustic 50 but i cannot make my mind up.also fancies the wharfedale sw 250 or spc 10

every body seems to think that the XLS200 II is an excellent option. i wonder why it has never been rated by what hifi?

the ultimate choice for me is either MJ acoustic 50 or SW250 or power cube 10.

i cannot seem to make my mind up

sw250 is avaible in avbristol for £300

MJ acoustics xeno pro 50 from superfi £300

maybe there are better subs than these for the same price.

i would be grateful for expert advice.

help is much appreciated

yamaha RXV650,Denon 1909, monitor audio bronze B4 as front, bronze centre and B2 surround, 2 magnat centre as surround back + 100w SA-WM250 sony amp i got in a sale for £60.

living room diagonally adjescent to dining room and staircase, living room 4M x 6M, dining 3M x 4m

A

Anonymous

hi

i am hoping to update my system with a much better sub than SA-WM250!!!. budget £300 - 350.

i've had my eye on a brand new MJ acoustic 50 but i cannot make my mind up.also fancies the wharfedale sw 250 or spc 10

every body seems to think that the XLS200 II is an excellent option. i wonder why it has never been rated by what hifi?

the ultimate choice for me is either MJ acoustic 50 or SW250 or power cube 10.

i cannot seem to make my mind up

secondhand MA RSW 12 £300-350 ebay

sw250 is avaible in avbristol for £300

MJ acoustics xeno pro 50 from superfi £300

xls 200 mk2 FF £325

i may also consider diy

maybe there are better subs than these for the same price.

i would be grateful for expert advice.

Your esteemed help is much appreciated

yamaha RXV650,Denon 1909, monitor audio bronze B4 as front, bronze centre and B2 surround, 2 magnat centre as surround back + 100w SA-WM250 sony amp i got in a sale for £60. sony BDP S370,sky +HD.

living room diagonally adjescent to dining room and staircase, living room 4M x 6M, dining 3M x 4m

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts