Subwoofer Cable- Chord, QED, or...?

Jackm219

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of upgrading my home cinema cables. I have QED Qunex interconnects, audio quest pearl hdmi cables for my main system. Budget but good quality is my aim.

My subwoofer is a REL q100e, taking both standard input and high level neutrik speakon. My NS is an audioquest flx 14/4 but I am struggling with the regular subwoofer cable.

My budget is on the £30 mark. I favour the thicker chord cable such as the Crimson but I also see well rated QEDs in this price range. The cable needs to be 2m so I briefly considered joining two high quality 1m interconnects but no doubt this would introduce noise.

so is £30 a good price for a Chord Crimson (£40 for the Crimson plus) or what cables would you guys recommend?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jack

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Any old cable will do, provided it's coaxial and shielded to present mains elecricity (50- Europe - or 60 -America - Hz remember) hum pickup.
Plenty to choose from on line at that price point, although I would advise KabelDirekt RCA plugs tend to be a loose fit, which isn't good.

Jackm219

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. In my previous setup there was hum. I notice audioquest subwoofer cables have a ground but neither my sub or amp have subwoofer grounds- do you just attach the ground to the metal backplate?

I recognise any decent cable would suffice but I was looking for something to really show off the beast of a sub- what would you guys recommend?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Your amp and sub cases are probably double insulated / isolated to prevent electric shocks (or at least they should be).
If you have a ground or earth screw for a turntable, use that. Likewise if there is a ground screw on the sub, use that. Don't use both, whatever you do.
If you don't have either I don't know what to suggest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts